Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #2021
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1697308832370680093

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:17 PM   #2022
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

SWOLED sounds like something you'd read on a bodybuilder forum.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #2023
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big xbox leaks. Haha, #### their hope to buy Nintendo. Given what's happened to various studios that they've taken over, would hate to see that happen to them.

https://www.engadget.com/everything-...161027198.html

Codenamed "Brooklin," a refreshed Series X will have double the internal storage at 2TB, lower power usage, Wi-Fi 6E connectivity and other tech updates, according to a leaked document. This model will have a cylindrical design, compared with the boxy original Series X.

Critically, Microsoft is planning to ditch the console's disc drive. It's not yet clear as to whether there will be an external disc drive available (as is rumored to be the case for a PlayStation 5 refresh). It would mark a significant shift for Xbox to no longer offer a disc drive as standard and perhaps accelerate the death of physical game discs. What's more, Microsoft plans to sell the updated Series X for $499, the same price as the current console.

It seems we're not yet midway through the current console generation, but of course Microsoft is thinking about what's ahead. The next-gen Xbox, slated to arrive in 2028, is expected to support "cloud hybrid games."

There's an implication that the next-generation Xbox will have an always-online requirement for certain games. It's entirely plausible that there will still be a sizable digital divide by 2028, which could prevent some folks in rural areas or other regions with poor internet access from properly being able to play games on Microsoft's next major console.

https://www.engadget.com/xbox-chief-...114525963.html

Microsoft Gaming chief Phil Spencer wanted to acquire Nintendo so bad, he considered it a "career moment."

Microsoft has a long history of trying to acquire the Japanese gaming giant. When Bloomberg published an in-depth oral account of how the Xbox came to be for its 20th anniversary in 2021, it was revealed that the company asked Nintendo if it was willing to be acquired — and got laughed out of the room. "They just laughed their asses off," Xbox co-creator Kevin Bachus said. "Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went."
Old 09-20-2023, 12:24 AM   #2024
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Big xbox leaks. Haha, #### their hope to buy Nintendo. Given what's happened to various studios that they've taken over, would hate to see that happen to them.
That Nintendo meeting has been public knowledge for at least two years. I guess old news is new once again.

As for all the leaks coming out of the huge mistake by Microsoft, the biggest one was probably the worst kept secret in the world, that Elder scrolls 6 is definitely going to be a PC/Xbox exclusive.

Also, I really liked the idea of a console you can design with Xbox design labs.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 01:51 AM   #2025
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout 3 and Oblivion remasters plus Dishonoured 3 were on the leak too.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:51 AM   #2026
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the controller improvements.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #2027
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jez Corden added some additional context.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1704272288118341998
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #2028
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Just for kicks, I wonder what kind of valuation you'd be looking at to acquire Nintendo (a massive one, for sure)?

The number of companies who could absorb them is quite small.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #2029
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
Just for kicks, I wonder what kind of valuation you'd be looking at to acquire Nintendo (a massive one, for sure)?

The number of companies who could absorb them is quite small.
Also, culturally both company and Japanese heritage, would absorbing them ruin their unique and dedicated approach.

Nintendo has done quite a good job at staying with the pack and innovating instead of techno-leaping and staying true to their IP's.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 04:18 PM   #2030
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discount sales on the Switch = Switch 2 confirmed?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1707882407813116408
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 10-25-2023, 12:19 PM   #2031
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some sales numbers

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/consol...monthly-charts

The second biggest game of the month was also a new IP in the form of Xbox's Starfield. It was a strong launch for the game, which was also available day and date on Game Pass. However, the game couldn't unseat Forza Horizon 5 as Xbox's biggest game launch this generation. Starfield's first four weeks on sale are 13% below what Forza Horizon 5 managed.

This was driven by PS5, with sales of Sony's console up 175% over the same period last year. There were still strong stock shortages of PS5 in September 2022.

Nintendo Switch sales were down 28% compared with last September, while Xbox Series S and X sales are down 35% for that four-week period.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:37 AM   #2032
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew Forza Horizon was popular but I didn't realize it was such a massive seller. Still a bit misleading discussing sales as millions of people signed up for gamepass to play Starfield for free.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=75dd6eee3fe3

Quote:
‘Starfield’ Just Made Microsoft And Xbox A Ton Of Money

Microsoft’s Xbox division just reported $3.9 billion in revenue, its largest Q1 for its gaming arm…ever. And Bethesda’s Starfield deserves a lot of the credit.

The figure is such a surprise because it comes in the wake of an actual 7% decline in revenue for hardware, actual Xboxes, but that’s offset by a 13% increase in content and services. Previously, Xbox reported that Starfield marked the biggest launch for Bethesda ever, due to its inclusion in Game Pass. Now, Microsoft has said that the launch of Starfield led to the biggest single day of Game Pass sign-ups in the service’s history, which was of course its plan. It did not reveal any new Game Pass subscription totals, as it has not since January 2022 when that figure was 25 million.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-26-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 09:46 AM   #2033
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a new president of Xbox.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/th.../1100-6518714/

Microsoft is reorganizing its Xbox division, with Sarah Bond getting promoted to President of Xbox.

Additionally, Microsoft Game Studios boss Matt Booty has been promoted to president of game content and studios. In that role, he will oversee ZeniMax and Bethesda.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:00 PM   #2034
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up Xbox to block unofficial third party accessories in the November update.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gamin...after-november
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:33 AM   #2035
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

At this point the Xbox is basically just a controller based appliance for couch or bedroom gaming my Gamepass library with the convenience of cloud saves. Anything I do seriously would be on my gaming PC. It sucks that people are getting their accessories blocked on the console side but it makes sense that Microsoft wants to control their 3rd party market and control what plugs into their console.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #2036
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
At this point the Xbox is basically just a controller based appliance for couch or bedroom gaming my Gamepass library with the convenience of cloud saves. Anything I do seriously would be on my gaming PC. It sucks that people are getting their accessories blocked on the console side but it makes sense that Microsoft wants to control their 3rd party market and control what plugs into their console.
Clearly following the Apple model.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:01 AM   #2037
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I correct in that this is just for controllers? My wireless headset from some third party brand should be ok?
Old 11-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #2038
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
At this point I'd be more likely to just build a cheap small pc and plug it into my tv than buy an xbox. It would cost a bit more but at least you can do what you want with it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 12:41 PM   #2039
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe because it was released early during the pandemic but it is crazy we are 3 years into the PS5/Xbox Series generation. I would say so far I have been impressed with what 2023 brought for this generation but it seemed to get off to a slower start considering we are almost at the typical halfway point of a console generation.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:27 PM   #2040
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
At this point I'd be more likely to just build a cheap small pc and plug it into my tv than buy an xbox. It would cost a bit more but at least you can do what you want with it
Except quick resume. Everytime it happens it feels like magic coming from a PC and PS5 gamer.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote