Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2023, 07:03 PM   #5561
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a more iconic duo than Emilia Clarke and heavily panned series finales?

How did anyone in the MCU sign off on this? Such a waste of a great cast and source material.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:08 AM   #5562
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Secret Invasion was off to such a good start, too.

Is Emelia Clark's character an actual comic book character, or based on someone similar?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:10 AM   #5563
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I watched the first few episodes, I thought it had a good start but failed to hold my attention.

I haven't even watched the new Antman yet either. I imagine for the next Avengers movie I'll have to at least read the wikipedia summary.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:01 AM   #5564
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just read a "what you need to know going forward" summary of the series and I'm glad I kinda forgot about it, no need to waste my time. I can just rewatch all the Florence Pugh scenes in the Hawkeye series instead.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:40 AM   #5565
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
They titled it Secret Invasion but then delivered Old Man Fury.
Getting ready now for Secret wars to look nothing like either comic run
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #5566
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Secret Invasion really just kind of stalled out. The first episode was great, but then it dragged. The main premise didn't make much sense either. They are going to start a nuclear war with Russia to destroy the Skrull facility? That makes no sense, nuking Russia is going to result in a massive counter-strike that's going to destroy the Earth. Surely, there's another way to deal with this. Russia, in real life, already funds all sorts of militias that constantly carry out terrorist attacks on Western targets. So that's nothing new.

Basically, not a whole lot happened in episodes 2-6. The plot was insanely thin for what had the potential to be a crazy spy thriller.

Some of the Fury stuff was just weird. Way too much focus on him. The acting lost momentum at points. Him being totally unfazed that he'd been boning a Skrull for years? I half expected him to yell out: "Enough is Enough. I have had it with these Mother F-ing Skrulls on this Mother F-in planet!" at points.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:54 AM   #5567
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The entire MCU still feels like it is stalling out.

All the new content just feels like an epilogue to Infinity War and how the MCU is recovering from the Blip.

They really need to kick the Kang arc into gear.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 12:12 PM   #5568
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The entire MCU still feels like it is stalling out.

All the new content just feels like an epilogue to Infinity War and how the MCU is recovering from the Blip.

They really need to kick the Kang arc into gear.
They just need a Kang who doesnt beat his wife!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #5569
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I watched the first two episodes of Secret Invasion. Should I just quit while I am ahead?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #5570
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They just need a Kang who doesnt beat his wife!

NSFW!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #5571
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
So I watched the first two episodes of Secret Invasion. Should I just quit while I am ahead?
Probably. I didn't hate is as much as most, but the stakes are weird in these shows. They seem afraid of shaking the world up significantly because they know these aren't tentpole projects, while also adding characters that should be world changing.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #5572
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Probably. I didn't hate is as much as most, but the stakes are weird in these shows. They seem afraid of shaking the world up significantly because they know these aren't tentpole projects, while also adding characters that should be world changing.
Yeah. Looking back on the 1st episode it know seems weird that they would:

Spoiler!

for a series with no real consequences and nothing really happened. Feels a bit to me like when they just took out Klaw for no reason. Although maybe Klaw is coming back for Secret Wars somehow?
Old 07-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #5573
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many of the recent projects are erring on the wrong side of laying runway for future projects or telling their own compelling story. That pendulum should shift again, eventually? Whether the payoff will be worth it remains to be seen.

It's gonna be cool when we see Thunderbolts, Young Avengers/Champions. FF, and X-Men on the screen.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:00 AM   #5574
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been enjoying the smaller scale of the marvel streaming series. Secret Invasion was enjoyable for the acting but the plot was lacking. It would have been better if they stopped the Skrulls and public never found out.

Although I wonder if the witch hunt that has been started could be used for mutant world building?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #5575
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Too many of the recent projects are erring on the wrong side of laying runway for future projects or telling their own compelling story. That pendulum should shift again, eventually? Whether the payoff will be worth it remains to be seen.

It's gonna be cool when we see Thunderbolts, Young Avengers/Champions. FF, and X-Men on the screen.
Ya I think the future, past even the next few Avengers movies, is where the MCU will start to shine again. There is so much they can do even just inside the mutant universe. I'd love to see some of those arcs done properly.

I think it is going to be a slog until then though. And I feel like the Kang dynasty is going to lean to heavily into the multiverse stuff. Which is getting to be played out and probably not enough to save it.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:49 AM   #5576
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

More motivated to watch this than I have been of any Marvel show recently, hopefully it's good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #5577
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Loki Season 1 is probably the best of any thing they've done post-Endgame. At least it seems to have some creativity and inspiration behind it. I'll watch a Season 2.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:27 AM   #5578
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really like the look of this. My only gripe is that it doesn't really feel like a "Loki" show anymore. It's more like Dr. Who at this point...except with more karate. I'll definitely watch this though.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #5579
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Fantastic Four casting rumours keep swirling. Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm, Jack Quaid and Joseph Quinn as Johnny Storm.

Matt Smith and Ebon Moss-Bachrach also rumoured to be attached.

I'm glad we're moving away from Adam Driver. He's a little too well-known for my tastes. I think I find it more difficult to buy into an on-screen character if I've seen the actor two dozen times. It worked with RDJ/Iron Man, because it just did...but I prefer a less-known.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #5580
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The Fantastic Four casting rumours keep swirling. Vanessa Kirby as Sue Storm, Jack Quaid and Joseph Quinn as Johnny Storm.

Matt Smith and Ebon Moss-Bachrach also rumoured to be attached.

I'm glad we're moving away from Adam Driver. He's a little too well-known for my tastes. I think I find it more difficult to buy into an on-screen character if I've seen the actor two dozen times. It worked with RDJ/Iron Man, because it just did...but I prefer a less-known.
RDJ wasn't really an "it" actor at the time he made Iron Man. He was working, but he wasn't really a draw in himself.

Having an actor who was formerly A list but now a bit down on their luck career wise fit really well with a Tony Stark who starts off the film as big shot who is taken down a notch.

I agree that big names, unless they are born to play the part (see Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool) can be really distracting.