Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your reaction to Bill Peters being hired as HC
Hate it 56 6.91%
A little nervous 81 10.00%
Cautiously Optimistic 347 42.84%
Love it 34 4.20%
Taking a wait and see approach 271 33.46%
Don't think it matters 21 2.59%
Voters: 810. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #161
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
GG had no clue what he was doing. That's why he was always looking at the monitors.
OK, so why do other coaches look at the monitors? Do none of them have a clue what they're doing?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #162
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If there is something to challenge you have a look. If your assistants call attention to something you have a look. If you're just looking to see where a play broke down you can do that between periods. Whats done is done and GG rarely had his arms around a player explaining what they did wrong anyway.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #163
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I guess you're just assuming that the monitors are there for no reason, as clearly nobody needs any more information than they can see by watching the game as it is being played.
Its just a delegation of responsibility. You've got two assistants and Gelinas upstairs. Why does the HC have to spend his time checking it when he could be doing something more important.

How many of those 'ipad scrutinized' challenges actually worked? Not many.

Have the assistants look at it, if they think theres a case they can call it or bring it to his attention.

In the meantime, rally the troops.

At the same time though GG had all of the inspirational abilities of overcooked spinach.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #164
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
OK, so why do other coaches look at the monitors? Do none of them have a clue what they're doing?
Not as much as GG did. I see most coaches talking to the bench.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #165
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate the replay monitors installed in the bench. They are not very big and are covered by thick plastic so the quality is not the greatest. Guys up above have better access to better equipment. But they are here to stay but i do feel the head coach should not be starring at and should focus on the players.

I watched an early Toronto-Boston game during the playoffs and as soon as the Leafs got scored on Babcock leaned over to an assistant and they had a brief conversation. The assistant talked to the defensemen coming off and Babcock addressed the players going on to the ice. A third coach gave Babcock a thumbs up after looking at the monitor assuming he meant good goal. It was a pretty obvious good goal on the ice. I was like yes, this is exactly how it should work.

Now Babcock doesn't always do this and does look at his monitors but more so than not you can see him interacting with the players. Headcoaches are there to get the players ready to play game by game and shift by shift not check past plays. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 04-24-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #166
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its just a delegation of responsibility. You've got two assistants and Gelinas upstairs. Why does the HC have to spend his time checking it when he could be doing something more important.
Because it takes less time to look at the monitor himself than to listen to someone else describe what they saw, and there is less chance of error.

Again, Glen Gulutzan is not the only coach in the world that looks at monitors during stoppages in play. Every coach does it. You just seem to take it all out on him personally for some reason.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #167
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Get your assistants to do it!

I've ranted about this forever! The time staring at the screen should be spent talking to your players and getting them ready for their next shifts.

We gave up a ridiculous number of goals in short spans because our coach was too busy checking the ipad as opposed to prepping his next shift.

I know it sounds dumb, but it actually means a lot. After goals against players are down, its natural, get them ready to go.

Let your assistants check out the replay.

Its not even the pseudo-defeatist body language its the missed opportunity to rally your troops.
I understand why fans hated this, but it remains in my mind one of the most irrelevant complaints of a coach, and was absolutely NOT the reason why Glen Gulutzan was unsuccessful in Calgary.

For my money, I do not care whether or not Coach Peters consults the on-bench monitors after a goal allowed. I care whether or not he helps the Calgary Flames win hockey games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #168
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know about the looking at the monitors thing but it does seeem like Treliving is making a point of the coaching staff will be communicating more with the players. So whether it was after goals, intermission, after the game or all other times, seems like Tre saw a problem there.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #169
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How many of those 'ipad scrutinized' challenges actually worked? Not many.

Have the assistants look at it, if they think theres a case they can call it or bring it to his attention.

In the meantime, rally the troops.

At the same time though GG had all of the inspirational abilities of overcooked spinach.
I agree. It is usually a waste of time for the head coach. They should be relying on their intuition and experience most of the time to infer what happened on the play and use their time to make adjustments, corrections and motivate. The assistants can always look at the slo-mo replays to see if there was anything else going on that needs to be addressed.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #170
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because it takes less time to look at the monitor himself than to listen to someone else describe what they saw, and there is less chance of error.

Again, Glen Gulutzan is not the only coach in the world that looks at monitors during stoppages in play. Every coach does it. You just seem to take it all out on him personally for some reason.
Because the Head Coach knows better than all of the assistants?

Gala just posted that Babcock delegates it and his assistants tell him whether its worth challenging or not.

Thats all I'm saying, whats the issue with that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #171
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Sorry if I hit a nerve, Jiri. Don't think I'm whining. Don't think you are, either. Will leave it at that.
My reply was intended to be friendly and calm. Sorry if it didn’t come off that way. Was trying to just explain my POV and reaction and my opening line was intended to be a joke disagreeing with you saying we often agree. Didn’t land it!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #172
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree. It is usually a waste of time for the head coach. They should be relying on their intuition and experience most of the time to infer what happened on the play and use their time to make adjustments, corrections and motivate. The assistants can always look at the slo-mo replays to see if there was anything else going on that needs to be addressed.
No man! No! Its irrelevant!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #173
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the Head Coach knows better than all of the assistants?
Because seeing something for yourself is more reliable than having it described to you second-hand.

Quote:
Gala just posted that Babcock delegates it and his assistants tell him whether its worth challenging or not.
And if the only thing a coach is interested in is whether to challenge the goal, that's fine. And he may just be a fool for not caring about any other information he could get by watching the replay from an angle that he could not see from the bench.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #174
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG should have never looked at his tablet or a monitor (even if others do it). He should constantly call “momentum “ time outs (even though other coaches hardly ever do).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #175
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
GG should have never looked at his tablet or a monitor (even if others do it). He should constantly call “momentum “ time outs (even though other coaches hardly ever do).
Really?

If you do not think there were at least 5 situations where GG should have taken a timeout and didn't then I don't know if GG could do anything to bother you.

You are right other coaches hardly do it but hardly doesn't mean never and given the flames season of being bad but not blow out bad, they had more opportunities for such time outs.

I will never forget watching the puck drop at center ice after Frolik scored on his own net and seeing a group of players who needed a timeout more than anything. Guys had their heads down, Frolik wasn't even paying attention for the puck drop and GG is watching the ipad. 5 seconds later another one is in the back of our net and we lose.

You also understand that visor cleanings, goalie equiptment coming lose, broken sticks, etc are not always to give guys a rest after an icing, right? Its a players to have everyone regroup or as you call it, a "momentum timeout".

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #176
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Really?

If you do not think there were at least 5 situations where GG should have taken a timeout and didn't then I don't know if GG could do anything to bother you.

You are right other coaches hardly do it but hardly doesn't mean never and given the flames season of being bad but not blow out bad, they had more opportunities for such time outs.

I will never forget watching the puck drop at center ice after Frolik scored on his own net and seeing a group of players who needed a timeout more than anything. Guys had their heads down, Frolik wasn't even paying attention for the puck drop and GG is watching the ipad. 5 seconds later another one is in the back of our net and we lose.

You also understand that visor cleanings, goalie equiptment coming lose, broken sticks, etc are not always to give guys a rest after an icing, right? Its a players to have everyone regroup or as you call it, a "momentum timeout".
No man, all that is irrelevant. Didnt you hear? Whatever is on the ipad is the most important thing.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #177
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I understand why fans hated this, but it remains in my mind one of the most irrelevant complaints of a coach, and was absolutely NOT the reason why Glen Gulutzan was unsuccessful in Calgary.

For my money, I do not care whether or not Coach Peters consults the on-bench monitors after a goal allowed. I care whether or not he helps the Calgary Flames win hockey games.
I agree there were larger issues, and unfortunately a lot were strategy related.

I don’t see the issue as looking at the monitor, I see it as prioritization of limited time.

I do agree with the folks that think the head coach should use the time immediately after goals to address the team, being decisive and in control.

Give a guy crap if you need to, reinforce the plan for the next play. Take a quick look if you need to, but ignoring the team and watching TV is not in my mind coaching.

Definitely Gelinas can radio down and advise to challenge if required, they could get a couple if eyes on it and gain consensus pretty quickly. Most goals don’t require a challenge.

Especially in light of the fact that the team was recognized as mentally fragile, and victimized far too often by a quick second goal, I think the best use of the coach’s time is focused on the next 30 seconds, not the previous.

Just my opinion
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #178
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
No man, all that is irrelevant. Didnt you hear? Whatever is on the ipad is the most important thing.
But what he would watch on the ipad just a worse view of what just happened right in front of him moments ago. Others are paid to watch the ipad in the press booth for you. Sure every now and then you might want to double check whether a stick really hit a guy or if there was contact in the crease but Glen was a whole new level!

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #179
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what all this reminds me of?

I remember when people ridiculed Roger Neilson for using video of games in his coaching. I also remember when the same sort of people ridiculed Bob Johnson for writing things down in notebooks in between plays. Those people assumed that a coach should always be able to get all the information he needs in real time, from one angle (viewing at ice level from behind the bench), and retain it perfectly in memory, and that any coach who can't do that is a fool and a laughingstock. In other words, those people were idiots.

There are many things Glen Gulutzan did wrong, and some that he deserves to be mocked for. Watching the iPad isn't one of them.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #180
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey....hey everyone.....Glen Gulutzan no longer coaches the Calgary Flames. It's time to stop worrying about what he did or didn't do. It's time to move on. These debates went nowhere when he was here, and it's not going to get any better now that he's gone, but at least it's completely irrelevant to the fate of the Flames now.

This is just a wish of mine. I spent the last year avoiding conversations around here because of the vitriolic stance most fans had on our coach. I would dearly love to have conversations on what this team can do to improve moving forward. Can we try to leave the Gulutzan stuff behind us? K thanx.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: