Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your reaction to Bill Peters being hired as HC
Hate it 56 6.91%
A little nervous 81 10.00%
Cautiously Optimistic 347 42.84%
Love it 34 4.20%
Taking a wait and see approach 271 33.46%
Don't think it matters 21 2.59%
Voters: 810. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #201
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the reason GG was always looking down was because he had CP open and was looking for suggestions.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the reason GG was always looking down was because he had CP open and was looking for suggestions.
He'd probably still be here if that were true.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #203
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
"They want me to make adjustments... . I'll show them....."
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #204
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We don't really know what he was doing, but 2 goals against in 2 minutes 22 times suggests maybe not enough of the right things.
That is indeed a horrible stat. Probably the most telling of anything with respect to the Flames (whether it be GG, players or both). They had no pushback - quite the opposite.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #205
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That's cool. I'll just say this. Anyone that rants and screams at Peters looking at a monitor after a goal is going on my ignore list. I don't have time for that. I might be reading threads with only a few posts that actually show up for me, but I'd rather that than go insane reading that stuff.
As far as threats go, this is about as worrying as promising to beat someone with boiled spaghetti.

If Peters spends half as much time staring at the ipad as Gulutzan did, we're screwed.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #206
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
As far as threats go, this is about as worrying as promising to beat someone with boiled spaghetti.

If Peters spends half as much time staring at the ipad as Gulutzan did, we're screwed.
I, for one, feel threatened.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #207
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

The level of narcissism someone would have to have to think that's a threat is kind of astounding.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #208
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My reaction to Bill Peters being hired as HC is that I don't think it matters unless there are significant changes to the roster.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #209
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The level of narcissism someone would have to have to think that's a threat is kind of astounding.
Welcome to the ignore list.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #210
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Body language counts. In job interviews, as a manager, in front of customers, or leading a group.

Just saying.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #211
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Body language counts. In job interviews, as a manager, in front of customers, or leading a group.

Just saying.
Agree. I don't understand how guys here miss this obvious point. The optics are that GG is either not able to asses plays live or that he doesn't know what to say so he looks away. Or both. Players see that "leadership" and hang their heads.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #212
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I voted for "wait and see". Having said that, while driving from Alberta back to BC I had an opportunity to listen to both the Kerr/Steinberg and the Boomer/Rhett conversations with Peters. I was surprisingly impressed.

And then I realized why. He reminds me of Terry Crisp. His manner, approachability and no-nonsense attitude.

If he gets the same results, I'll be pretty happy.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #213
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
From where I sit it really doesn't matter who the hire is so long as there are still remnants of the last coaching team around. Peters and his assistants could be great, but the same tired eyes on the video screen could kibosh their preparation, while the same tired philosophy/mantra with the goalies just stagnates them. (Can anyone tell me what Gelinas role is exactly? player relations? Good ol'days insights??)

I really feel that keeping Sigalet was a mistake. He has not taken any of the last 6-8 goalies in our system to any level, but has been the one constant while they sucked. Shouldn't a good goalie coach recognize that Smith wasn't ready to come back and told his head coach that? Did Elliott, playing for a contract, and Hillier, playing out the string, simply ignore him? Has any of the last, seemingly endless stream of goalies credited Sigalet with anything (pushed me to be better; taught me to let go; told me to not step on the lines and talk to all 3 of my goal posts)?

Sigalet sticks around much longer and we will have flashes of Trefilov and Muzzatti as Gilles and Parsons get left on the heap.
In the conversation I heard with Tre and Kerr(?), Steinberg (?) he was asked about the other coaches. He started to answer and then said "They are part of our team....{{pause}}.. right now."

Makes me wonder if he's held off with others pending discussions with Peters and thoughts about who else might come in.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #214
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We don't really know what he was doing, but 2 goals against in 2 minutes 22 times suggests maybe not enough of the right things.
How does that compare to the rest of the league?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #215
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That's cool. I'll just say this. Anyone that rants and screams at Peters looking at a monitor after a goal is going on my ignore list. I don't have time for that. I might be reading threads with only a few posts that actually show up for me, but I'd rather that than go insane reading that stuff.
That's quite the burn. I think we should see a doctor. Does anyone know one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #216
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the morning show, Peters specifically addressed that it shouldn't take longer than a training camp to get a system drilled in.

Thank Christ.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #217
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Voted "hate it" mostly the way Treliving handled the whole situation. First I think he only fired Glen because Peters was available and second he was focused on getting his buddy. He didnt bother interviewing anyone else. So hope for everyone sake it works out,otherwise it's another wasted year or two because GM is too narrow focused. And don't feed fans the bull#### about process, if the process is to sign your buddy, without giving anyone else a chance. Hopefully this doesn't turn out as bad as when Sutter hired his brother.
The buddy theory has already been debunked and is 100% false and absolutely ridiculous. Treliving worked with him once two years ago for a few weeks. That’s it. They’d never met before that and haven’t worked together since then.

You’re angry about stuff you’ve made up in your head to justify your irrational hatred of this signing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #218
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
In the conversation I heard with Tre and Kerr(?), Steinberg (?) he was asked about the other coaches. He started to answer and then said "They are part of our team....{{pause}}.. right now."

Makes me wonder if he's held off with others pending discussions with Peters and thoughts about who else might come in.
So I would ask "why wait?"
I can understand waiting with the video guy. Peters likes him and thinks they can work together, great, one less thing. But my gut says they are a dime a dozen.

Why sit on Gelinas? Does he want to see if Peters will let him behind the bench? If not part ways?? This one makes no sense to me.

And of course, the biggie - why sit on Sigalet?? Again the only two constants are 1) every goalie for the last 3-4 years has been wildly inconsistent and 2) all on his watch! Any clean slate has to include showing this guy the door. If for any reason then just to get a fresh set of eyes on the guys.

Makes no sense to give these guys hope (false or otherwise).

If Tre trusts Peters, Let him bring in his team top to bottom.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #219
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The buddy theory has already been debunked and is 100% false and absolutely ridiculous. Treliving worked with him once two years ago for a few weeks. That’s it. They’d never met before that and haven’t worked together since then.

You’re angry about stuff you’ve made up in your head to justify your irrational hatred of this signing.
It also shouldn't be surprising that people like to work with people they have some history and trust with.
That's not uncommon outside of sports.
Trust and having common ground is important. When hiring I regularly tap into my network as those are people I already know and trust, so I reduce the risk of making a bad hire by tapping into that pool.
I don't view it as a downside of the hire. I look at it as a trust.
Its not likely he's hiring his nephew.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #220
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So I would ask "why wait?"
I can understand waiting with the video guy. Peters likes him and thinks they can work together, great, one less thing. But my gut says they are a dime a dozen.

Why sit on Gelinas? Does he want to see if Peters will let him behind the bench? If not part ways?? This one makes no sense to me.

And of course, the biggie - why sit on Sigalet?? Again the only two constants are 1) every goalie for the last 3-4 years has been wildly inconsistent and 2) all on his watch! Any clean slate has to include showing this guy the door. If for any reason then just to get a fresh set of eyes on the guys.

Makes no sense to give these guys hope (false or otherwise).

If Tre trusts Peters, Let him bring in his team top to bottom.
Why rush the decision? Maybe it was BP's call to see what he has with those guys before making a call.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote