Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #781
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
I certainly would.

Neal = declining
Eriksson = declining
Lucic = done multiple years ago with little/no hope of a turnaround
I am sorry but this is BS. Lucic had 50 points 3 seasons ago... and has outproduced Eriksson in the past 3 years.. 94 to 76 points..and Eriksson is 3 years older. Why I used 3 years? Because that is when both players started their contracts.

If you are calling Lucic done.. then Eriksson is also certainly done.

Last edited by keenan87; 07-19-2019 at 04:53 PM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #782
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish this was a doofus for doofus deal.

The buyout alrernative mismatch and the expansion draft protection issue with lucic make this a flat out win for the oilers.

Lucic fought TWICE last year. This truculence bs is getting annoying from the flames management. They prioritize is but have zero clue on how to build a roster with team toughness.

Oilers fans must be damn happy with their new gm. They finally outright win a deal.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #783
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to make sense of it but can't like it.

Lucic was 100% done with the Oilers. At least Neil had a chance to bounce back (didn't think so myself but many did). Treliving should've at least bent them over if he's helping them.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #784
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obvious statement: time will tell on this.

But would love to hear Treliving ‘s thinking on this. What is he addressing? I assume he thinks change of scenery is good for Lucic but in best case scenario, what does Treliving thinks that looks like?

If the best case is no deterioration but stays like last year, what is ranking on depth chart? 12th best?

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-19-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #785
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I have seen this a few times. The great thing is if Neal is getting 20 on the top line in Edmonton that means someone else is *not* getting 30-40 there. It's not top-line winger production, and it may make Neal look better but it's not improving Edmonton much if at all.
Thank you! I am glad someone else can also see it from this view.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #786
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #787
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

The buyout alrernative mismatch and the expansion draft protection issue with lucic make this a flat out win for the oilers.

Lucic fought TWICE last year. This truculence bs is getting annoying from the flames management. They prioritize is but have zero clue on how to build a roster with team toughness.

Oilers fans must be damn happy with their new gm. They finally outright win a deal.
Fights are happening less and less.. he had 250 hits last year that means something for sure
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #788
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The longer this goes, the more hope I'm having Treliving is pulling off some wizardry flipping Lucic.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #789
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It's amazing how many posters are willing themselves to like this deal, when prior when it was rumoured, most hated it.

As a hockey trade it clearly stinks.

As bad as Neal is, Lucic is quite a bit worse. It's not even debatable.

But Calgary saves cap and money. These days, that's becoming more and more important. As we've seen in the trades to date around the NHL.
And yet, here we are.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #790
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I was just over at hfboards oil and they are very happy.

I'm just shocked Pulju isn't part of the deal.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #791
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of course subject to change pending the retention, possible conditional pick, and especially the expansion draft impact...but this is assuming it's the 10% retention, a mid-round pick with reasonably achievable conditions, and Lucic is eligible for exposure:

Overall I don't completely hate this move. For either team.
What we know is that James Neal is a far better finisher than Milan Lucic, but Milan Lucic is a better two-way player and brings the physical element. We also know that neither of the two are playing in the top six on this Calgary Flames team. The kicker, to me, could be Lucic's penalty differential blackhole.

Given Neal relies on his teammates to get him the puck in order to exploit his phenomenal release, he is a poor fit in the bottom six of any team. On a non-playoff team like the Oilers, he will get the opportunity to play in the top six and possibly with McDavid dishing to him. He can camp in open areas and fire away, of course only when the Oilers have the puck in the offensive zone which won't be very often especially when factoring in his ineffectivness in the defensive and neutral zones.

With Lucic, he rapidly lost his ability to generate offense, and never had a great shot to begin with, but is still reliable defensively and is nearly impossible move from the front of the net once he gets there. In the bottom six he will be just fine as a utility player and nobody can deny he brings a scary physical element few in the league bring. The big detriment with Lucic is even in his later years he is still wildly undisciplined and over the course of the season that adds up significantly if you aren't drawing penalties to offset it - which he doesn't, at all - but this is something Bill Peters should be able to tame to an extent.

If Lucic can reign in his temper while still holding opponents accountable, I think Neal will have the better counting numbers but the Flames will be better off overall. Neal brought nothing to the table here, while Lucic can if he puts his mind to it and controls himself a bit.

Here are their respective time-weighted impacts on teammates for last season isolated, and the last two seasons cumulative. Plus non-fight/misconduct PIM differential.
Code:
                    2018-19 only
          xG%     HD%     CF%    PIM +/-
Lucic  +1.62    +3.71    +3.16    -29
Neal   -5.65    -5.79    -2.27     0 (Even)

2018-19 and 2017-18
          xG%     HD%     CF%    PIM +/-
Lucic  +2.63    +4.55    +2.34    -63
Neal   +0.42    +2.24    +3.50    +34

I say all this as someone who has been very critical of Lucic in Edmonton. And again, everything changes based on the pieces that remain unknown - and the Flames will be significant losers if this negatively impacts the expansion draft.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #792
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I have seen this a few times. The great thing is if Neal is getting 20 on the top line in Edmonton that means someone else is *not* getting 30-40 there. It's not top-line winger production, and it may make Neal look better but it's not improving Edmonton much if at all.
Yep, James Neal could turn into a 30 goal scorer and Smitty a .910 goalie... and they still will be in the basement.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #793
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Lol when the acquisition is Neal, you're not "winning" anything. Since when was reeling in the most invisible player on a team twenty times better than you something to hurrah about?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #794
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am sorry but this is BS. Lucic had 50 points 3 seasons ago... and has outproduced Eriksson in the past 3 years.. 94 to 76 points..and Eriksson is 3 years older. Why I used 3 years? Because that is when both players started their contracts.

If you are calling Lucic done.. then Eriksson is also certainly done.
Lucic is 31 years old. Who cares what he did 3 years ago? Lucic went from 23+27 to 10+24 to 6+14 ... not exactly a good trend. There's a chance Neal can ride shotgun in Edmonton, personally I think he's smart enough to do that. Lucic has already shown that he can't do that anymore.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #795
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri spurning the Flames.

Ferland signing with the Canucks.

ZERO improvements made to the roster that got dummied in the first round.

And to top it all off, handing the Oilers a player who easily slots into their top 6 in return for a $5.4 million goon who may or may not require protection in the expansion draft.

Yeah, this summer can **** right off any time now.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #796
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lol when the acquisition is Neal, you're not "winning" anything. Since when was reeling in the most invisible player on a team twenty times better than you something to hurrah about?
Oilers can buy him out next offseason and save themselves $3+ million on the cap.

It's a dumb trade unless the flames have also found the fountain of youth under the Saddledome
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #797
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The longer this goes, the more hope I'm having Treliving is pulling off some wizardry flipping Lucic.
Its more likely we see him doing a presser saying how Calgary, quite simply, needs to get tougher. And Milan was available, and the contract situation worked out, and they expect Milan to pull his weight around the Dome for the upcoming season (and how Milan has already expressed his willingness to take Calgary deep into the playoffs).

There is nothing more that can be done, other than Francis buying his contract and keeping Lucic in frozen carbonite until 2021.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #798
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

If the other rumour of Bennett for Puljujarvi comes to pass, I’ll, well I’ll, I don’t know but I won’t be pleased. Stop the madness Brad.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #799
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only good thing in all of this mess is that The Scorpion better be buying a Lucic jersey to supplement his already strange jersey collection.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #800
P-Rugby
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully his goal song is the flintstones theme