Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Modular/Prefab homes

Just wondering if anyone here lives in a modular/prefab home? Ie. something very boxy/contemporary like Hive Modular or Karoleena.

I've been looking into them and trying to get a better understanding of what the build quality is like, to see if it's worth exploring as a viable option instead of buying an existing house.

Years ago, I saw a few of them at a show at MoMa. I wasn't extremely impressed with them at the time (they didn't feel quite as solid), but I'm curious if things have changed for the better.

Last edited by Table 5; 01-19-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would always languish in the back of my head about resale value on modular vs. conventional. Regardless if they're better or not. As soon as you go for something unique your resale market shrinks.

That said, I have no experience with either.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to haul these homes as of two years ago and while it will never be quite as 'solid' as a conventional house would be, they are built quite well nowadays.

Consider that they have to be built well enough that they can be transported by truck down the highway, and it does quite well, if you're wondering about the house falling apart or anything of that matter, it wont happen from the framing or build, like any other house the main issues I see with damage/deteriorating is neglect.
I see a lot of water damage (Washer/Dryer or Dishwasher) that gets cleaned up on the surface but ignored where one cannot see it, namely the underbelly and the pad the house sits on being damaged as well (You are sitting on top of the ground, so your blocking can sink and twisting your frame and dropping a section of your house).

The main thing people need to know is how the home is set up has a lot to do with how it lasts through the seasons. The change between winter and spring does result in heaving in the earth and with that can result in the level of your house changing, typically around the doors. This is actually an easy upkeep, but if ignored can become a bigger problem, these are the day-to-day occurrences and upkeep you need to keep your eye on.
Cement pilings, while initially more pricey will provide a better base and requires less upkeep, while treated, wooden blocking initially works as well but will most likely need to be re-leveled and eventually replaced. (Re-level in the $500-$800 range, replacing in the $1,800 range).

Basically, if you take care of a Modular home it will last for you as anything else will.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I'm not as concerned about resale, as ideally we'd like to build a home that we'll be in for many years, and I want to make sure I enjoy that home, not worry about what the next guy will think.

My biggest concern is definitely in making sure it feels solid, and that it's still something that you can "modify" in a normal fashion...ie, be able to make changes to the flooring/walls etc as the years go on.

I think I need to find a way to visit one of these homes. From the outside, they all tend to look really nice...I just want to make sure it's the same thing inside.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I'm not as concerned about resale, as ideally we'd like to build a home that we'll be in for many years, and I want to make sure I enjoy that home, not worry about what the next guy will think.

My biggest concern is definitely in making sure it feels solid, and that it's still something that you can "modify" in a normal fashion...ie, be able to make changes to the flooring/walls etc as the years go on.

I think I need to find a way to visit one of these homes. From the outside, they all tend to look really nice...I just want to make sure it's the same thing inside.
I'd seriously reconsider that bolded statement.

Look into how long the average person owns a home for, there's a reason people move so often. Things change, life changes, you may end up moving, changing jobs, family situation, etc. It's too easy a thing to jump into and only consider the immediate impacts and how a few variables (interior, exterior, renovation ability) will impact what you get out of the house. Consider that you're going to be dumping between 30-40% of your family income for a substantial amount of time into this home from purchase through payoff. Would you invest that much of your family's money in a company without wondering how well it would be valued in 5, 10, 20 years?

Get a realtor (I'm sure Travis can help) to search for Modular homes and how they compare on the market to neighboring houses that are conventionally built.

Actually, I've never financed a modular, I'm guessing they're the same as conventional and not part of the mobile/manufactured pricing segment. But consider how a bank will lend you money on the modular as well, if the interest rates are higher than discount mortgage rates it's costing you more money and will cost the next buyer more money too.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha, well clearly I'm not going to ignore resale value, all I'm saying is that I'm not going to only tailor my purchase for the sole purpose of selling it 20 years from now. What we have in mind isn't some whacky one-off house, we're going after a contemporary design that plenty of houses in Calgary are already doing. But yes, of course resale is considered....it's just not my #1 priority. Whether prefab is worth it, will of course all depend on the price. If you can build a prefab house for 100k less than a traditional process, then it's fine to take a similar hit on the sale end too.

I do need to look into the financing end of it to see if it makes a difference in terms of what's required. Good suggestion!

I just found out the Hive Modular guys will be at the Home show at the end of February. So hopefully that will at least provide an opportunity to answer some questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

United Homes Canada in Airdrie is a great modular homes lot just a little bit behind the Tim Hortons off the highway. They can help you with any questions and have a number of homes, from 16ft - 20ft wide homes and even some swanky 2 storeys.

Last edited by DropIt; 01-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been in one of the Hive homes here in Calgary - friends of ours put it up a few years back. The fit and finish looked great. Honestly I didn't notice anything that screamed pre-fab modules.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I'd seriously reconsider that bolded statement.

Look into how long the average person owns a home for, there's a reason people move so often. Things change, life changes, you may end up moving, changing jobs, family situation, etc. It's too easy a thing to jump into and only consider the immediate impacts and how a few variables (interior, exterior, renovation ability) will impact what you get out of the house. Consider that you're going to be dumping between 30-40% of your family income for a substantial amount of time into this home from purchase through payoff. Would you invest that much of your family's money in a company without wondering how well it would be valued in 5, 10, 20 years?

Get a realtor (I'm sure Travis can help) to search for Modular homes and how they compare on the market to neighboring houses that are conventionally built.

Actually, I've never financed a modular, I'm guessing they're the same as conventional and not part of the mobile/manufactured pricing segment. But consider how a bank will lend you money on the modular as well, if the interest rates are higher than discount mortgage rates it's costing you more money and will cost the next buyer more money too.
I know we normally finance upon delivery if it's a new purchase, otherwise just a standard mortgage.

Some companies want money up front, but I would never go for that myself. We did a deal within the last two years where upon delivery wind ended up causing the truck to go into the ditch with the house on top of it. They needed to provide a new one.

They were very fast to act. I wonder if they would have been as fast to act if they already had the money up front like they originally wanted.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I'd be interested in hearing more about this as well. Checking out some of the builder's sites, they seem to include almost everything except price, so it is really hard to see what exactly each builder is charging per sq ft.