Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Like I said, I think $100K is too low as well based on the link above. Here's a link on costs from that same site:

http://methodhomes.net/homes/pricing/

Basically they have it as $15-20K for permits, surveys, hookups, etc., $133+ a square foot for the house, and then 30-70% of the house cost for site prep and install.

Though it's important to remember that bigger houses are generally cheaper per square foot than smaller ones. For instance a 1000 square foot rectangular house would have nearly 80% as much exterior surface (siding, wall insulation, windows, etc.) as a 2000 square foot one does. So that $133+ price is closer to $200 a square foot in the sub 1000 square foot range.

So for a 750 square foot base unit you're probably looking at $250K ($20K + $150K unit + $80K site prep and install). And those are US prices, so something done in Canada would likely cost more. If the land is cheap enough it could be a pretty good option, but you're not really saving much if any money over a conventionally framed house when you buy a good quality modular or prefab house.
That would really write these off for me. I think resale with a conventionally-built home would be better than a pre-fab.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Prefab offers very little in pure cost saving versus traditional builds. What it does offer is a significant time savings. Prefabs can be built in 6-8 weeks, versus 6-8 months for a traditional build.
Build one to save time, not money.
The Following User Says Thank You to core_upt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #23
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This site has some prices.

18ft. x 30ft. Cheyenne

Sq. Ft: 540
Size: 18' x 30' CHANGE
Format:
  • Pre-cut kit ($50,253)
  • Pre-assembled kit ($54,753)
  • Installed ($74,703)

$29,695.00 CAD
Base Model

As Featured: Cedar Shingles
$4,266.00 Cedar Channel Rough (horizontal)
Incl. Doors & Windows: Arts & Crafts 3-Lite/1-Pane Single Door (37 1/2"W)
$795.00 ASC1 Classic Square Window (Fixed)
$450.00 (7) AC4 A/C Large Opening Window (Casement)
$3,605.00 Other Options:

Sub Total $50,252.89 Kit Discount -$5,939.00 Options Discount -$3,083.68 Enter Postal Code
for freight and taxes Freight Ask for quote Net Total $41,230.21

$41,230.21
Gross Total (CAD)

http://www.summerwood.com/cdn/produc...9/details.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My inlaws have a place that we are looking to put a new building on, it's lakefront in Northern SK. The current cabin is just about at the end of it's life. We have been talking to different people around the lake as a few have put new mobile homes on their lots and others have brought in pre fabs. From the people I have spoken too the biggest cost savings I have seen came from the "used" house market. With Saskatchewan apparently booming you can pick up 15-30 yr old bungalows from people who are looking to re-develop lots in the city. One couple paid 7500 bucks, and it was perfect cabin. There will be moving costs, line lifting, electrical and sewer hookups. Those costs will be there anyways if your moving any type of home.

I dont know where everyones views lay with what a cabin should be. Mine ends at - servicable building with a big bitchin deck to relax on. So that may be the route we take. I have seen a few house only listings in YYC for the 15,000 mark. Not all bad.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
My inlaws have a place that we are looking to put a new building on, it's lakefront in Northern SK. The current cabin is just about at the end of it's life. We have been talking to different people around the lake as a few have put new mobile homes on their lots and others have brought in pre fabs. From the people I have spoken too the biggest cost savings I have seen came from the "used" house market. With Saskatchewan apparently booming you can pick up 15-30 yr old bungalows from people who are looking to re-develop lots in the city. One couple paid 7500 bucks, and it was perfect cabin. There will be moving costs, line lifting, electrical and sewer hookups. Those costs will be there anyways if your moving any type of home.

I dont know where everyones views lay with what a cabin should be. Mine ends at - servicable building with a big bitchin deck to relax on. So that may be the route we take. I have seen a few house only listings in YYC for the 15,000 mark. Not all bad.

That seems like a pretty decent route to take though your moving costs would be pretty high. I have a friend who buys infill lots in Calgary and usually offers up the existing home for free if someone wants to pay to come and take it away, it saves him the cost of demolition.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That is a cool idea. I'm heading west to look at land this weekend to see if I'm going to take this idea any further. The only knock against the bungalow idea is I already own a 1969 house in Calgary, which takes a lot of money to keep going/updated. I don't know if I'd want another place of that vintage out in the sticks. I like the idea of walking into a vacation home and just chilling out, not swinging a hammer.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Burn it down and collect insurance money and use insurance money towards a new house?