Screw you Butlerfingers.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #42
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bryz was claimed off waivers after the Ducks couldn't find anyone to trade for him. He went on to be the starter in Phoenix for 4 seasons.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #43
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too would love Dansk. I've said it before, but will paraphrase it here again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

I'd like to explore Oscar Dansk.
24 years old.
31st overall pick in 2012. 3rd goalie selected behind only Vasilevskiy and Subban.
His only taste of the NHL came because both Fleury and Subban were injured, and he went 3-0 for the Golden Knights (1.78GAA and .946sv%)

Since being sent back down to the AHL, he's gone 10-1 for the Wolves.
The kid's doing everything he can to prove he belongs in the big league.
I think the kid is a stud waiting to break out.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #44
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
So change for the sake of change? Grass is greener?
Glass is always greener.

I think he might be the X-factor we are forgetting about. Should know after tonight, He’s a competitive guy who’s playing for his hometown franchise. Both Rittich and Gilles have looked shaky. Although Rittich played much better last game. Something tells me Glass plays behind Smith this year.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #45
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Screw you Butlerfingers.
"Dennis, our lives are in your hands, and you have Butlerfingers?!"
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #46
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would not surprise me at all if Buffalo put in a claim for Dansk. I mean, who else do they have?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #47
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligans_off View Post
Sucks seeing Wotherspoon on there. I had high hopes for the kid. Hope he can rebound
Rebound would imply he was somewhere to begin with. He has always been an AHL guy so he is going where he was anyway.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #48
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Both goalies progressed last year? Idk about that. Rittich looked very shaky as the season progressed and performed poorly in the AHL as well. And Gillies is still wildly inconsistent and hasn't shown many good starts at the NHL level.

I'm all for patience when it looks like there's a spark of NHL greatness there -- it's why Bennett should be kept, for all his faults -- but too much patience is how you get stuck with Brent Krahn as your best goaltending prospect for eight years.
Rittich was sheltered to start the year and was in over his head going from backup to starter. I think if he is used for 20 games as the back up, he'll probably be an average to above average backup. When the wheels fell off the team after mid January, it is kind of hard to peg any one player as being mostly responsible for how things went. So I'm giving him a bit of a pass on what has a complete cluster.... for the entire organization.

In order to see if he has any longer term potential, you have to give him another shot. He played well in Vancouver. The first game of the preseason against Edmonton, it was clear that he wasn't trying hard because it looked like he was trying to just get his muscles loose in a game vs actually trying mainly to avoid any minor injuries.

As for Gillies. He is capable of making big saves and has had a number of great games both at the NHL and AHL level. He's also been terrible in a number of games. That up and down play is typical with goalies. What he needs is more games and playing time. Being the starter in Stockton will help.

Similarly with Parsons, being the starter in Kansas will also help.

The problem with goalies is that they seldom are good from day one like Matt Murray has been for Pittsburgh. Pretty much it was only Dryden, Barrasso, Roy, Brodeur and Belfour who were top notch from the get go. Every one else takes a bit. Look at Hellebuyck in Winnipeg. He was bad at times for the first while when he got to the NHL. Last year, he was one of the very best. Same with Andersen and Gibson when they came up with the quacks.

Dansk is very much of a similar calibre as Gillies and Rittich. The problem is they are both still there. If they had one only, I'd say go for it with just as much enthusiasm as you have for the idea. Teams with fewer goalie prospects should be all over that though.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 09-21-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #49
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Well, two things about that. For one, Dube has far surpassed Klimchuk by now, although I still hold the latter in high regard. And in a position as fickle as goaltending, you need to cycle through options until you find somebody with potential. The Flames have been far too deliberate in testing out options doomed to fail in recent years while only bringing in mediocre veterans from the outside to counteract their own mediocre prospects. The only goaltender with any real potential in the Flames' system right now is Parsons and maaaaybe Gillies.

Yeah, Curtis McElhinney was claimed by the Leafs in 2017. There are other cases too
Nope, Dube had passed Klimchuk by last training camp you just refused to see it.

And nope, all 3 of Rittich, Gillies, and Parsons have real potential, I guess you’re just refusing to see it.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #50
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd be floored if Dansk clears. I think at the very least Washington will be all over him.

Quote:
Nope, Dube had passed Klimchuk by last training camp you just refused to see it.

And nope, all 3 of Rittich, Gillies, and Parsons have real potential, I guess you’re just refusing to see it.
Eh, don't patronize me. You can force your opinion all you want but I don't have to go by it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
Glass is always greener.

I think he might be the X-factor we are forgetting about. Should know after tonight, He’s a competitive guy who’s playing for his hometown franchise. Both Rittich and Gilles have looked shaky. Although Rittich played much better last game. Something tells me Glass plays behind Smith this year.
Seems quite unlikely IMO
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #52
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be floored if Dansk clears. I think at the very least Washington will be all over him.
Or the Jets. He’s better than brossoit
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #53
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are probably 10-12 teams that should be seriously considering it. I too would be floored if he cleared. For some teams (cough Edmonton and Ottawa cough) it would be extremely stupid for them not to get a good free asset.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #54
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Eh, don't patronize me. You can force your opinion all you want but I don't have to go by it.
You might want to look up patronize in the dictionary because you’ve used it incorrectly there.

This board is all about us disagreeing or agreeing. In this case I think your analysis of our goaltending prospects is off base. I can’t force that opinion on you, all I can do is state where I think you’re wrong. No need to get irritated because people don’t agree with you. You wanna take bold stances? Prepare for people to disagree and it’ll be blunt at times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #55
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
You might want to look up patronize in the dictionary because you’ve used it incorrectly there.

This board is all about us disagreeing or agreeing. In this case I think your analysis of our goaltending prospects is off base. I can’t force that opinion on you, all I can do is state where I think you’re wrong. No need to get irritated because people don’t agree with you. You wanna take bold stances? Prepare for people to disagree and it’ll be blunt at times.
I don't think calling Dansk an upgrade upon Gillies or Rittich is particularly bold. He's younger, has higher and more recent draft pedigree, and has shown elite-quality play (albeit in small doses) at the NHL level.

Also, to patronize means to treat condescendingly or as a child. Repeatedly insisting that I "refuse to see things" is pretty condescending to me, but I'm not interested in a debate on semantics.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #56
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dansk had 5 very good NHL games last season. I would waive rittich to try him out. Rittich had 21 games and looked good in like 3-4
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #57
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent chance Toronto has to waive Sparks. That is a backup worth snagging.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both goalies progressed last year? Idk about that. Rittich looked very shaky as the season progressed and performed poorly in the AHL as well. And Gillies is still wildly inconsistent and hasn't shown many good starts at the NHL level.

I'm all for patience when it looks like there's a spark of NHL greatness there -- it's why Bennett should be kept, for all his faults -- but too much patience is how you get stuck with Brent Krahn as your best goaltending prospect for eight years.
What I meant was that they progressed last year, from the year before. Rarely do you see progression so linear that it is visible all throughout the year as well.

But what you want from prospects is seeing progression from year to year. And we clearly got that from both of them.

I expect to see further progression from each of them this season. If we don't, then the tome of the conversation will change.

But it's pretty ridiculous to say that you're tired of these guys after 2 years, when the 2nd year was an improvement on the 1st for both of them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #59
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bardreau? EA needs to spend some time improving the name generator
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #60
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Waiver wire Sept 21

Quote:
I don't think calling Dansk an upgrade upon Gillies or Rittich is particularly bold. He's younger, has higher and more recent draft pedigree, and has shown elite-quality play (albeit in small doses) at the NHL level.

Also, to patronize means to treat condescendingly or as a child. Repeatedly insisting that I "refuse to see things" is pretty condescending to me, but I'm not interested in a debate on semantics.

Dansk and Gillies are the same age and were taken in the same draft- one round apart- in 2012. Draft pedigree really means nothing here. Gillies is a bigger body and has more AHL experience. Sure, Dansk looked good in his brief NHL stint, but all of the Vegas goalies looked like world beaters last year behind that team.

I think they are close, but I don't see a clear upgrade at all.

Last edited by bax; 09-21-2018 at 05:39 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote