Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #201
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I get that there are guys in the NHL that have the on ice "persona" of being an ahole but they follow a general code.

Burrows is not one of them. He has crossed lines and done irrepressible things, biting, pulling hair, over the line trash talk, and just general "####tyness". He is a stain on the game I love and not because he is a Vancouver Canuck(I really like Linden, Horvat and yes, even the Sedins) but because of the reasons stated above.

I am glad he is gone and wish him the worst in his future endeavors.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #202
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Get me a citation on that and I'll join the hate parade.
A citation? My buddies played against him in ball hockey and heard him say it. You want their names? I can PM you. He's a terrible person - you can live in denial of that fact all you want.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #203
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
#### me, you guys really like trying to associate a guy who was a piece of #### while playing a sport with guys who beat the #### out of or attempted to kill their wives/girlfriends.
Again, if you think Burrows is an angel or his behaviour is excusable just because pieces of crap like Voynov and Chris Brown exist in the world, stop eating the CDC paste.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #204
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

#GatewayThinking

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #205
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Defending Burrows to the point of anger.

What a hill to die on.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #206
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=Sedin

Here's the last thread about the Sedins. You can clearly see everyone hating on them because they are Canucks.

Oh wait. It's the complete opposite.

It's not a rival fan thing. Burrows is just trash.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #207
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Again, if you think Burrows is an angel or his behaviour is excusable just because pieces of crap like Voynov and Chris Brown exist in the world, stop eating the CDC paste.

You're right. And he deserves to be called a dick head for biting a guy. He is not even close to the same level to Voynov or Chris Brown and comparing him to people like that, or the Klan is what I am arguing here, not that he's a saint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
A citation? My buddies played against him in ball hockey and heard him say it. You want their names? I can PM you. He's a terrible person - you can live in denial of that fact all you want.

Yeah, sure. I mean anyone can make an accusation like this to back up their point. "Well, I know a guy and he says this." So if you've got some way to back that up I'd love it. I will legit change my position on a dime if someone can show me he was a racist dick head.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #208
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Get me a citation on that and I'll join the hate parade.
While we are at it, I would like to see something credible to substantiate this claim:
Quote:
...That 19-year-old goalie was straight up spearing Burrows through out the game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #209
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. And he deserves to be called a dick head for biting a guy. He is not even close to the same level to Voynov or Chris Brown and comparing him to people like that, or the Klan is what I am arguing here, not that he's a saint.
So what's the problem then? Most that are posting here think that he's a dickhead. He does dickhead-ish things. Nobody is saying he's literally Hitler. But he's unlikable and he's got a history of doing offensive things. Him being from a fierce rival is just the cherry on top. It's not the whole cake.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #210
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. And he deserves to be called a dick head for biting a guy. He is not even close to the same level to Voynov or Chris Brown and comparing him to people like that, or the Klan is what I am arguing here, not that he's a saint...
But there is a tonne of grey between "occasionally obnoxious" and "the Klan." I completely agree that Burrows is most certainly not on the level of human garbage as Nazis, but I also think that based on everything I have heard about this guy on and off the ice for the duration of his NHL career that he is probably a colossal jerk. Not being a deplorable racist notwithstanding, it is still fair to believe that he is not worthy of the recognition he receives from the Canucks and their fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #211
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
While we are at it, I would like to see something credible to substantiate this claim:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-burrows-3/

Quote:
So what's the problem then? Most that are posting here think that he's a dickhead. He does dickhead-ish things. Nobody is saying he's literally Hitler. But he's unlikable and he's got a history of doing offensive things. Him being from a fierce rival is just the cherry on top. It's not the whole cake.

You're not saying he's Hitler, you're saying that the dickheadish things he did are equivalent to nearly beating someone to death. There just isn't an equivalence here. I'm not saying you should like him, I get why you don't. I also don't like Marchand, infact I really dislike him, but #### me boys, I'm not about to say that he's as bad a guy who says he is going to kill his girlfriend and then attempts to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But there is a tonne of grey between "occasionally obnoxious" and "the Klan." I completely agree that Burrows is most certainly not on the level of human garbage as Nazis, but I also think that based on everything I have heard about this guy on and off the ice for the duration of his NHL career that he is probably a colossal jerk. Not being a deplorable racist notwithstanding, it is still fair to believe that he is not worthy of the recognition he receives from the Canucks and their fans.

And I totally get that. My point I was trying to make before is that none of this was likely going to change how Canucks fans feel about him because we didn't just see the ####### on the ice (or concrete depending what type of hockey he was playing). He bled for this city as far as we can tell and we appreciates that about him.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 07-09-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #212
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So if he's a racist child abuse-mocker... that changes everything.

Got it.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #213
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're not saying he's Hitler, you're saying that the dickheadish things he did are equivalent to nearly beating someone to death. There just isn't an equivalence here. I'm not saying you should like him, I get why you don't. I also don't like Marchand, infact I really dislike him, but #### me boys, I'm not about to say that he's as bad a guy who says he is going to kill his girlfriend and then attempts to do so.
Except...I'm not saying that at all.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #214
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

It's not the same principle at all. If Burrows beat the #### out of Nancy the same way Chris Brown beat the #### out of Rhiana I doubt any of us would want anything to do with him. Even mentioning the two in the same breath completely takes away from the point that you're trying to make because the hyperbole is too much.

If you'd compared him to Marchment or Samuellsson or Claude Lemieux, I doubt I go off on this. They're all perfectly adequate ways of getting your point across that "he's a sack of #### and I don't like him because of the #### he does" than somebody like Chris Brown.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #215
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... well.... O.J. Simpson killed his wife! Chris Brown is a saint.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #216
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
#GatewayThinking

I think it needs to be pointed out that a dude brought a pillow to a riot.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #217
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think it needs to be pointed out that a dude brought a pillow to a riot.
This guy wishes he brought a pillow to a riot.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #218
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lets just celebrate this POS is no longer in the league.
It's a great day for the NHL, it's a great day for hockey!

My fondest Burrows memory was watching him almost in tears complaining to the media about how the Refs were out to get him.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #219
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's not the same principle at all. If Burrows beat the #### out of Nancy the same way Chris Brown beat the #### out of Rhiana I doubt any of us would want anything to do with him. Even mentioning the two in the same breath completely takes away from the point that you're trying to make because the hyperbole is too much.

If you'd compared him to Marchment or Samuellsson or Claude Lemieux, I doubt I go off on this. They're all perfectly adequate ways of getting your point across that "he's a sack of #### and I don't like him because of the #### he does" than somebody like Chris Brown.
If that's what you got out of my comparison, you're missing the point. Beating Rihanna like Chris Brown did is far beyond anything Burrows has done. Yes. But I'm not making the comparison for that purpose. I'm making the comparison to make the point that both the Canucks and Chris Brown fanbases are seemingly excusing known ####ty-ass behaviour simply because those two people provide or provided their respective fanbases with enjoyable entertainment.

Also, while Marchment, Lemieux et al were pricks on the ice with histories of intent to injure, I can't recall a series of incidents that across a whole spectrum of incidents from verbal to physical, and crossing a line while doing it (e.g. bringing up family issues, or child abuse).
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #220
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, sure. I mean anyone can make an accusation like this to back up their point. "Well, I know a guy and he says this." So if you've got some way to back that up I'd love it. I will legit change my position on a dime if someone can show me he was a racist dick head.
Yeah. I'm making it up to back up a point. Are you looking for a news report from a ball hockey game?!?

Whether you want to believe it or not, it happened. He said a bunch of stupid stuff including racist things. It also fits his character described by his action in numerous other incidents. He's a POS. You can sit there plugging your ears screaming 'I can't hear you' all you want. Doesn't change the facts. Despicable person - they exist.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote