Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dash Cam Recommendations for Car?

Looking to find a dash camera for my car and was wondering what are some of the best around $150?
Old 07-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Looking to find a dash camera for my car and was wondering what are some of the best around $150?
I got this one last year.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hands down the best one I've ever had. Easy to ''install'' in your car. It's small and out of the way. Very unnoticeable. High quality image. Has the Lat/Long coordinates, speed, time stamps. Automatically turns on and off when you start/turn off your vehicle. Plugs into your PC via a USB chord. The list goes on. I've been through about 4 dashcams and it's safe to say this one is easily the best I've had.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the older model of this one, an Ojocam mini. Mine doesn't have GPS and other features like the one linked below, and that's because I don't need it. Just basic dash cam needs are fine for me. It has served me well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camera-Logger-...ds=ojocam+mini

Works well, clear footage, hides nicely behind the rear view mirror. I believe quite a few individuals on Beyond use the same one as I do. Wires and connectivity etc wise, I'm sure it's exactly the same as above. (Access video via cable or take microsd card out and use a reader.)

The link from Huntingwhale's seems like better value though.

Review:

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got this webcam, the viofo a118c. No suction cups to deal with and has got decent video quality. Well reviewed and is really no frills.
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html

Review.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/41884

No battery to deal with either and super discreet form factor.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use this one because I didn't care about any features. I only wanted clear video and it delivered. You can hardwire them in or plug it in your lighter.
I think I paid around $50 and it's worked great for a year now.

Last edited by burnin_vernon; 07-14-2016 at 06:04 PM.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Dash Cam Recommendations for Car?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Now since this is the first time getting a dash cam, how does it work exactly? Do I just turn it on and let it record until it runs out of memory, delete and repeat? If so how long does 16gb or 32gb usually last for in terms of hours of footage?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Now since this is the first time getting a dash cam, how does it work exactly? Do I just turn it on and let it record until it runs out of memory, delete and repeat? If so how long does 16gb or 32gb usually last for in terms of hours of footage?
Most will loop record. I just upgraded to my front camera and my rear camera to 32GB microSD cards. I was using 16GB cards previously. Make sure you are using a Class 10 SD card.

My rear camera never turns off, I think I get about 8 hours of continuous video. The front camera , I get about 3 days of my 1.5 hour commute (higher res than the rear camera)

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-14-2016 at 08:07 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the one I have, and I assume most modern models, you don't even need to turn it on depending on how it was installed. I got my friend to install mine directly into the cigarette lighter's power source. So when I turn my car on, the camera turns on. When I turn the car off, the cam turns off. I never have to touch the power button.

The video constantly writes over itself in an endless cycle. Mine is broken into seperate video files everytime the camera turns on and off. While I'm driving it saves into seperate 5-8 minute segments. I have a 32GB card and I find that lets me review video that are about 10 days old, depending on how much footage I have during that time.

If my car is turned off and the camera senses a big vibration (like someone hit your car), it is supposed to turn on and start recording. I've never had this happen to me yet, so I can't say how well that works.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Let me know where you are parked. I'll test it out for you.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #10
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
For the one I have, and I assume most modern models, you don't even need to turn it on depending on how it was installed. I got my friend to install mine directly into the cigarette lighter's power source. So when I turn my car on, the camera turns on. When I turn the car off, the cam turns off. I never have to touch the power button.

The video constantly writes over itself in an endless cycle. Mine is broken into seperate video files everytime the camera turns on and off. While I'm driving it saves into seperate 5-8 minute segments. I have a 32GB card and I find that lets me review video that are about 10 days old, depending on how much footage I have during that time.

If my car is turned off and the camera senses a big vibration (like someone hit your car), it is supposed to turn on and start recording. I've never had this happen to me yet, so I can't say how well that works.

Interesting, didn't know it had the g-force sensor built in on that dash cam as well. Was one of the features I was looking at as well, and seeing as the Blackvue was the only other one with this feature, I'm leaning towards getting the A118 now. Just considering if the Blackvue is really worth the price or if I should get the one you have. The A118 seems like a good dash cam within its price point, as the Blackvue is more expensive. Again, probably will lean towards getting the A118.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, didn't know it had the g-force sensor built in on that dash cam as well. Was one of the features I was looking at as well, and seeing as the Blackvue was the only other one with this feature, I'm leaning towards getting the A118 now. Just considering if the Blackvue is really worth the price or if I should get the one you have. The A118 seems like a good dash cam within its price point, as the Blackvue is more expensive. Again, probably will lean towards getting the A118.
It has the G-sensor. But the only thing I am worried about is that the A118 uses a capacitor instead of a battery. This eliminates the possibility of overheating, like my other units have. I'm no electrician so I'm not sure if the G-sensor is able to draw power from the capacitor or somehow draws it from the vehicle when it's off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I use the older model of this one, an Ojocam mini. Mine doesn't have GPS and other features like the one linked below, and that's because I don't need it. Just basic dash cam needs are fine for me. It has served me well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camera-Logger-...ds=ojocam+mini

Works well, clear footage, hides nicely behind the rear view mirror. I believe quite a few individuals on Beyond use the same one as I do. Wires and connectivity etc wise, I'm sure it's exactly the same as above. (Access video via cable or take microsd card out and use a reader.)
+1 for Ojocam. I have it hardwired into my car's accessory fuse, it works great, no problems at all. The camera is so tiny, it fits right behind the rearview mirror; wires are all hidden, out of sight, out of mind.

The wiring itself was easy, and I'm a complete noob when it comes to DIY on cars. The longest part was tucking the wire behind the trim panels.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

bump. Looking to get a Dash Cam as a secret santa gift at a limit of $80. I'm not so sure there is one around that price even with Black Friday coming up.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
bump. Looking to get a Dash Cam as a secret santa gift at a limit of $80. I'm not so sure there is one around that price even with Black Friday coming up.
no idea if it's good, but London Drug's black Friday flyer has one for $50 starting on the 25th.

https://www.londondrugs.com/uniden-c.../L5061742.html
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #15
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
go with the viofo a119. great camera for me so far, highly recommended by lots of people when i was doing my research earlier this year
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secol For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the price of those high end Blackvue's worth it? I am a little distrustful of people.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #17
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is the price of those high end Blackvue's worth it? I am a little distrustful of people.
I haven't checked into the latest models, but back in the day, there was a group buy for them on a certain local car forum. If I recall correctly, people who bought them were happy for the most part, but I personally couldn't justify the $200+ cost.

I paid about $120 for the Ojocam Pro 2 that I have now...although it's been at least a year (maybe more) since I got it. There's probably better stuff out there now, but I loved the Ojocam cause of its size. It's almost invisible behind the rearview mirror, and I haven't had any issues with it.

So TL;DR, I would say no. You can get decent dashcams that don't cost a fortune.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote