Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #281
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Athletic annual subscrption is on sale today - 50% off. $3/month.
Just signed up, waited far too long. A bit of challenge to make enough time in the day to read all the stuff I want to read.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #282
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Athletic annual subscrption is on sale today - 50% off. $3/month.
Is it worth it? I am really on the fence.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #283
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, it’s by far the best site for in-depth sports articles. The fact they have four people writing Flames articles makes it worth it alone, but if you follow other sports/teams like I do the coverage is great.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #284
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Yes, it’s by far the best site for in-depth sports articles. The fact they have four people writing Flames articles makes it worth it alone, but if you follow other sports/teams like I do the coverage is great.
I'll probably get it then.

Just looked on the site and the only deal it mentions is 30% off the first year. Does anyone have a link/code for the 50% deal?
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #285
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
Yep. The Flames content is great and has really improved over the past year. The NHL content on the whole is great. A lot of good writers working there now.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:03 AM   #286
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla trade. Love Duha's stuff!

https://theathletic.com/841514/2019/...rce=dailyemail
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #287
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone have a link for the 50 off subscription? I only see the normal 20% off of a year.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #288
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've really enjoyed having The Athletic. It's the model of how to do written sports journalism right. There are no format restrictions - the writers can simply write whatever they think is best - whether it's fairly short or long form, highly analytical or not, include video clips, if necessary. The subscription models is also much better than an advertising driven model.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #289
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I've really enjoyed having The Athletic. It's the model of how to do written sports journalism right. There are no format restrictions - the writers can simply write whatever they think is best - whether it's fairly short or long form, highly analytical or not, include video clips, if necessary. The subscription models is also much better than an advertising driven model.
There's been a few articles which I feel could have benefited from cutting away a bit of the fat. Restrictions aren't always a bad thing. I hope they keep each other in check with internal criticism.

But yeah, in general it's been very much worth paying for.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #290
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Does anyone have a link for the 50 off subscription? I only see the normal 20% off of a year.
It popped up as an ad on my Facebook page yesterday. "50% off - $3/month for the first year subscription." I can't see it now, but I suggest going onto the Athletic web-site, emailing them directly and asking for the 50% off link. I am sure they will give it to you guys.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #291
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like any other online subscription. It's only worth it if you care to read it. In the beginning, you set up your profile and preferences, as to which teams and sports you want to follow. Then, they will push links to articles related to your choices. There's a lot of articles! Some are just juicy (like player polls), some are purely analytical, some are pure opinions. So, overall, you've got choices, I suppose.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #292
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really depends on how much you enjoy long form journalism. Also, its better if you are a multi sport/ team fan. I causally follow a few sports and teams and it is a good way for me to feel intimate with them, without having to follow them closely. Likewise, I like reading up on teams that are going to match up with the Flames. The Athletic has high quality content for the other teams in the nhl as well.

I found that my subscription was more palatable because I gave my log in information to my old man. It makes me feel like it was a better deal that I could 'gift' it to him and a few other friends who were interested.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #293
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default THE ATHLETIC Thread—Articles & Discussion

A friend told me that Jason Botchford is reporting in the Athletic that the flames almost traded Kylington to the Canucks for Edler? I didn’t believe it but I believe that’s what he’s reporting. I can’t seem to find the source he’s talking about so I’m wondering if anyone else had read that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 03-01-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #294
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
A friend told me that Jason Botchford is reporting in the Athletic that the flames almost traded Kylington to the Canucks for Edler? I didn’t believe it but I believe that’s what he’s reporting. I can’t seem to find the source he’s talking about so I’m wondering if anyone else had read that?
Botchford links this Tweet by a random fan:

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1101200345831694336
Jawn reporting the offer for Edler was Kylington and a mid round pick.

The fan is referring to this guy apparently:
www.twitter.com/jawnjang
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #295
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Botchford links this Tweet by a random fan:

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1101200345831694336

Jawn reporting the offer for Edler was Kylington and a mid round pick.

The fan is referring to this guy apparently:

www.twitter.com/jawnjang

Lol I know this was some fishy reporting, I just can’t fathom that trade at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #296
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?pl...4day0&curr=CAD

Try this for a 50 off deal.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #297
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gotta get something out there.

As a subscriber I have been pretty disappointed with the lack of coverage/content for the Flames recently. Actually, for nearly a year now. It seems like the writers covering the Flames has shrunk to Scott Cruikshank and Eric Duhatschek. Both are great, but even Duhatschek’s coverage is often league wide and not Flames focussed. The Flames essentially have a writer and a half. The last time Cruikshank had and article was 12 days ago as of this post. This is poor and has me leaning towards cancelling my subscription. Meanwhile, the Oilers seems to have content every day or two. I know Kent Wilson wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but at least it was content. Is Darren Haynes done with the Athletic?

Mirtle, if you’re out there, is there a plan to increase the value on Flames coverage?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #298
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Gotta get something out there.

As a subscriber I have been pretty disappointed with the lack of coverage/content for the Flames recently. Actually, for nearly a year now. It seems like the writers covering the Flames has shrunk to Scott Cruikshank and Eric Duhatschek. Both are great, but even Duhatschek’s coverage is often league wide and not Flames focussed. The Flames essentially have a writer and a half. The last time Cruikshank had and article was 12 days ago as of this post. This is poor and has me leaning towards cancelling my subscription. Meanwhile, the Oilers seems to have content every day or two. I know Kent Wilson wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but at least it was content. Is Darren Haynes done with the Athletic?

Mirtle, if you’re out there, is there a plan to increase the value on Flames coverage?

Agreed and I am not always a fan of the deep dive/history that Cruikshank does either. I like the Athletic for coverage of the Raiders and other sports but the Flames content is lacking.

Haynes was the guy that lead me to subscribe in the first place.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #299
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Agreed and I am not always a fan of the deep dive/history that Cruikshank does either. I like the Athletic for coverage of the Raiders and other sports but the Flames content is lacking.

Yep I just cancelled. I found content went down hill significantly when Haynes was let go/gone.

Flames coverage has been almost non existent for a while now and when there is something Flames related its not even very good.

Sad because it started out so good.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #300
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

The league wide content has kept me paying for my subscription, but without Flames coverage it’s like ordering nothing but cheese pizza’s. Eventually you’re going to want some pepperoni on the pie or you’re moving on.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: