Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
Knut

Exp:
Default Two fatalities on Macleod Trail MVA last night.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1463907059565404162

Man driving a 3/4 tonne truck way too fast killed a father and his child while injuring the other child. So tragic. Someone on Twitter said he was driving about 120km/hr on Macleod before this happened.

The moron then fled on foot and was captured shortly after.

Last edited by Knut; 11-25-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update on the 11 year old daughter:

Quote:
Calgary fire crews extracted the occupants of the sedan and declared a 37-year-old man and his seven-year-old daughter dead on scene. An 11-year-old girl who was also a daughter of the driver sustained serious injuries and was brought to hospital before being released to recover at home.
https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/tw...4-bd0bf1aa68f3

It mentions her injuries as serious and then mentions that she was released to recover at home. I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive and that someone can have serious injuries and somehow not require a hospital stay overnight but this sentence strikes me as odd.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 11-25-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't drive like a maniac. It's not worth it. Whatever you need to get to, you'll live. But someone else might not if you take the risk. Nothing is worth that. Don't care how much horsepower you have in your truck.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prob effing drunk.Why can't they just roll in a ditch and kill themselves?
Old 11-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard about this on the news last night.

This is so sad and senseless.

There is no reason for a collision on a stretch of straight road, clear night and clear road.

I would assume this results in criminal charges, which he appears to deserve.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Father and 2 daughters driving in a sedan, 2 of them dead after getting rear ended by a truck. I hope that ####### truck driver gets locked away for a long time but I doubt it, the Canadian justice system doesn't seem to take vehicular manslaughter very seriously. Stories like this make me glad we decided on a mid-size SUV for the family vehicle, gives us at least a little extra protection if someone decides to try and kill us on the road
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Just curious why you're speculating that? The story is senseless and tragic enough already, but police usually hint right away that alcohol is being investigated as a factor if the person is clearly drunk.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/victims-o...hter-1.5681114

From the Article

Charges are pending against the driver including dangerous driving causing death. His name has not been released as he has not been formally charged.

According to police, excessive speed is believed to have been a factor in the fatal crash and there is no evidence indicating the driver was impaired.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Too many people jumping to conclusions. This wasn't a person swerving into oncoming traffic. This was a rear end collision. It could have been caused by the lead car dangerously slamming on brakes and a lapse in attention by the driver of a large truck.

IMO this sounds like the bigger issue is the need people feel to drive massive cars/SUVs/trucks in urban areas. I hate it when people sight "safety" as the reason for driving a large vehicle. All they are doing is adding more impact force to a collision and putting more risk on the other driver. The next time someone tells you that they bought a large vehicle for "safety" reasons, think about this tragedy.

Edit: Just saw the dangerous driving charge bit... so a combo of an awful driver and a massive vehicle.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Running away. They’re either already under warrant, or impaired.

That’s a factory truck, with factory tires, and it’s grille would take out your head in a full size family sedan. And these #######s in trucks are always the ones who are safe and walk away. Man, I loathe it.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just curious why you're speculating that? The story is senseless and tragic enough already, but police usually hint right away that alcohol is being investigated as a factor if the person is clearly drunk.
I think the initial assumption for many people would be impaired driving, because the driver fled the scene- ie. you wouldn't think excessive speed alone would prompt someone to flee.

It could be possible the driver was fleeing some incident prior to the accident, although you would think that would be mentioned by now.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I think the initial assumption for many people would be impaired driving, because the driver fled the scene- ie. you wouldn't think excessive speed alone would prompt someone to flee.
The police comments about excessive speed and no mention of alcohol came out last night, this thread was created an hour ago. Yesterday when the news was breaking, that was definitely my first thought.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #13
DinnerDog
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Too many people jumping to conclusions. This wasn't a person swerving into oncoming traffic. This was a rear end collision. It could have been caused by the lead car dangerously slamming on brakes and a lapse in attention by the driver of a large truck.

IMO this sounds like the bigger issue is the need people feel to drive massive cars/SUVs/trucks in urban areas. I hate it when people sight "safety" as the reason for driving a large vehicle. All they are doing is adding more impact force to a collision and putting more risk on the other driver. The next time someone tells you that they bought a large vehicle for "safety" reasons, think about this tragedy.

Edit: Just saw the dangerous driving charge bit... so a combo of an awful driver and a massive vehicle.
There is a first hand witness account posted on Reddit, the red truck in the photo in the Sun article is not the one that caused the accident. The red truck was travelling southbound, the black truck that caused the accident was travelling north, swerving in and out of traffic, was driving on the median, came back into the northbound lanes and hit the sedan, causing it to swerve into the southbound lane, where it was struck by the red truck. The driver of the black truck then travelled up the hill to the CPR lines and fled on foot.
DinnerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Didn't look like the airbag went off in the red truck. Seems weird.

What a fataed up thing. So sad for the family.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #15
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There needs to be a cable or jersey barrier on that median. It's not unusual to have vehicles traveling 80-100km/h both directions. If someone crosses and gets airborne its going to be a bad wreck.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #16
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Update on the 11 year old daughter:

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/tw...4-bd0bf1aa68f3

It mentions her injuries as serious and then mentions that she was released to recover at home. I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive and that someone can have serious injuries and somehow not require a hospital stay overnight but this sentence strikes me as odd.
From my experiences, sometimes after initial treatment there's not much that can be done other than rest and recover, and rest is a lot easier to get at home.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
So with Alberta having more heavy-duty trucks than any other province on the road, I'm supposed to buy a sedan and just pray to not end up like this poor family?

https://www.trucknews.com/products/s...ks-per-capita/

And truck sales in Alberta are only increasing. My commute car is a Mazda 3, and sometimes when I'm stopped beside a pickup at a red light all I see are giant wheels and fenders. I don't begrudge anyone from buying an SUV just to feel a little bit more safe on the roads
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wish there were harsher minimum penalties for driving causing death - it's really a joke how low the minimum standards are.

1) First offence - $1,000 fine
2) Second offence - Jail for 30 days
3) Third offence - Jail for 120 days

For the average person, driving a vehicle is the most dangerous weapon they will ever own/operate, but there just don't seem to be sufficient consequences for causing major harm to others so long as you are driving.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #19
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That hits home. I drive my daughter down that stretch of Macleod for sports regularly. I had to detour around the accident last night when I picked her up. Wondered what the deal was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I really wish there were harsher minimum penalties for driving causing death - it's really a joke how low the minimum standards are.

1) First offence - $1,000 fine
2) Second offence - Jail for 30 days
3) Third offence - Jail for 120 days

For the average person, driving a vehicle is the most dangerous weapon they will ever own/operate, but there just don't seem to be sufficient consequences for causing major harm to others so long as you are driving.
Agreed that driving a vehicle is the most dangerous thing most of us ever do. But harsher penalties after the fact won’t deter people from driving dangerously. It’s not as though people driving 30k/hr over the limit are considering that they might kill someone, and weighing up the penalty against their impatience. How many drivers even know what the penalty is?

If we want to reduce fatal collisions, we need to enforce speed limits more rigorously. Sorry dudes (and it’s always dudes), but you don’t really need to be driving 110 or 120 down Macleod. Ever. Put camera boxes on every major road. Hit the recklessly heavy-footed with fine after fine. Take away their vehicles if they don’t change their behaviour. Their lack of self-control shouldn’t be a threat to us and our loved ones.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That hits home. I drive my daughter down that stretch of Macleod for sports regularly. I had to detour around the accident last night when I picked her up. Wondered what the deal was.
I feel ya, my daughter left the house about 40 mins before I heard about this on the news. She was grabbing a buddy in Sundance then heading to South Centre.

I won't lie, I texted her.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote