Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #2521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 2015 Impreza has been flawless mechanically. Upgraded from a Civic, and the AWD sure is nice. Not a ton of power, but the fuel mileage is great. Really no complaints, other than the AWD makes the trunk space a little less deep than the Civic had.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #2522
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could definitely rock a Tilley hat with either of those choices.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #2523
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I've always been impressed with VW. We rented one (A Golf) on Van Island a few years back and quite like it. Good car.

@Fuzz...when you say not a lot of power, I assume that was a 4cyl? Forgot to mention I'd prefer a 6 but I guess also not required. Just don't want to deal with an underpowered vehicle.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-01-2021 at 03:15 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #2524
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Ya I've always been impressed with VW. We rented one (A Golf) on Van Island a few years back and quite like it. Good car.

@Fuzz...when you say not a lot of power, I assume that was a 4cyl? Forgot to mention I'd prefer a 6 but I guess also not required. Just don't want to deal with an underpowered vehicle.
Yes, 4. I don't think the regular Impreza has any engine choices. It's definitely not underpowered, just not spirited. The paddle shifters are a big help in making the CVT more responsive and fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #2525
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

One clarification on my Sportwagen...it's FWD, but I was just saying they are available with AWD, particularly at the price range you are in.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #2526
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just say no to CVT cars, I drove a rogue on vacation a couple years ago and it ruined an otherwise decent vehicle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #2527
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Just say no to CVT cars, I drove a rogue on vacation a couple years ago and it ruined an otherwise decent vehicle.
haha I've ruined two vacations by being miserable in bad rental cars. It's such a part of the experience for me - I love driving different cars.

In Hawaii I rented a Buick Enclave and couldn't stand every millisecond I had to spend in it. And we drove around the island a lot, so it was the total ####s. Every night I'd go to bed thinking how I had to look at that fataing thing let alone drive it the next day. Talk about a penalty box of a vehicle.

Other one was a Ford Flex in Whistler. The vehicle itself was fine, it was the touchscreen everything to interact with that I hated. Like, even just adjusting the heat up or down meant taking your eyes off the road. And now VW has gone to that in the GTI. The new S-class is like that. It looks like so much momentum in the car industry is heading that way and it makes interacting with your car awful.

edit: Oh, you said it ruined an otherwise decent vehicle; not ruined a vacation. Yeah, I let my bad experience ruin my vacation. The Buick I should have swapped out at the rental agency, but the Flex I rented in Vancouver and drove to Whistler so I was stuck with it. At least once in Whistler I didn't have to drive it, but it was hanging over my head that I had to drive it back to Vancouver in a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #2528
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated the CVT in the Rogue enough it kind of ruined the vacation, we had to drive a ton in California and it was such a dog on the 405 or any decent road you could wind it out.

I used to luck my way into decently fun vehicles as rentals, that was the first time I thought I did ok only to realize how soul sucking it felt to drive.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #2529
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I had to google what that was. What is it about CVT that ruins the vehicle for you?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #2530
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Other one was a Ford Flex in Whistler. The vehicle itself was fine, it was the touchscreen everything to interact with that I hated. Like, even just adjusting the heat up or down meant taking your eyes off the road. And now VW has gone to that in the GTI. The new S-class is like that. It looks like so much momentum in the car industry is heading that way and it makes interacting with your car awful.
But at least the manufacturers are supplementing the touchscreen-only interface with 10 generation old voice commands, so no you can try that first for extra aggravation before reverting to the touchscreen...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #2531
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had to google what that was. What is it about CVT that ruins the vehicle for you?
They don't shift like a normal transmission, so they rev up and hold high rpm when you pin it.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #2532
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so nothing official or imminent, but I'm starting to think about buying a new used vehicle. Either a small sedan or hatchback, don't want an SUV, not entirely opposed to a crossover but emphasis on smaller commuter car that would do well with the occasional road trip.

Something at or north of 2016, $30kish. Would love AWD but not required. Don't think I'm interested in domestic. I've been driving an 05 Mazda 3 for years now and it's been a great car. I LOVE Audi and quite fond of VW (love the looks of the GTI for instance) but honestly no idea how good they are. I also like the Subaru Impreza.

So if someone is holding a gun to your head right now and demanded you buy a car within those specs, what would you buy?
Depends on your priorities.

I'm in a similar situation in that I've owned a 2010 Mazda 3 daily driver since it was new, and although it has relatively few kilometres (~107,000) 12 years later it is starting to feel a little "old". Pretty sure it needs new suspension bushings all around, needs all fluids changed, new spark plugs, and I suspect one of the rear calipers is sticking because the parking brake on that side is pretty much useless. I actually dread driving it in the winter; its low ground clearance is a pain in the ass. I'm also finding its small size to be a bit inconvenient these days. I don't often have passengers, but when I do it's a pain because of the tight confines of the back seats. It can carry a lot more cargo than one might suspect, but with the rear seats folded it's only about 5'10" of space back there, which I've found super-annoying; another 3" would suffice for 99.9% of my needs.

That said, I don't want something big either. I live inner-city-ish and work downtown and really enjoy having a car that's super-easy to park.

If you haven't already looked at the new Mazda 3s, I would suggest you at least give it a shot. I haven't driven one but did extensively check them out at the auto show three years ago. The interior is very nice; without being hyperbolic, behind the driver's seat it honestly feels very much like a small Audi. That said, it's bigger and longer than the 2005-2013 cars but has far less useable space in the back. The hatch especially seems so... compromised. Form over function. The back seats are downright claustrophobic and nigh-impossible for the average adult to comfortable get in and out of.

I have a friend with a VW Golf wagon, and as other's have said it's quite nice. Very practical, loads of space in the back, and drives pretty well too. Just a shame they don't sell 'em new anymore. I have been in a few Tiguans, which I think end up being the closest equivalent VW now, but they're a lot more expensive. They don't really feel any different than the Golf, just chunkier.

The new Honda Civic looks very promising. No AWD available, but a very nice interior, far better looking exterior than its predecessor, and sounds from reviews like a really nice driving car.

As much as its not my cup of tea I know several people with Corollas, and they're not outstanding in any way other than being very practical and cheap to run. Pretty much the perfect commuter car, if it's to your liking.

I'm interested in trying a Subaru Crosstrek (Outback-ified Impreza essentially, butched up with a higher ground clearance), specifically with the 2.5 L engine. My brother-in-law bought an Outback last year and seems to like it a lot, but I'm not so keen on something that big. Price is definitely a turnoff though, not cheap in the slightest.

If you like the Mazda 3 I'd also give the Mazda CX-5 a shot. It's just a "crossover" version of the same car, but just big enough to be a lot more useful in my experience.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #2533
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I had a CVT Murano, and other than it failing and needing to be completely replaced (under warranty thankfully), I thought it was fine for that kind of vehicle. Holding the engine RPM at the best place makes sense.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #2534
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I had a CVT Murano, and other than it failing and needing to be completely replaced (under warranty thankfully), I thought it was fine for that kind of vehicle. Holding the engine RPM at the best place makes sense.
The fact that you had to replace it is one of the sore points. They just aren't as durable as traditional automatics or even DCT's. There's a reason that Nissan, Subaru, etc were forced to extend warranties for them. Also holding the engine at the best place usually means constant droning and booming from an economy 4-cylinder engine.

If you don't accumulate a lot of mileage on your car and just want a cheap A to B city commuter you will be satisfied but if you are one of those people that drive a lot and put lots of mileage on your vehicle they are not ideal. And if you like a spirited daily driver surely look elsewhere.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #2535
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah for sure it's for the utilitarian side of things.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #2536
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey, are the huge kidney grills on the new BMWs growing on anybody?

They're not growing on me. I just went through a build (for fun; I'm not in the market) of an M3 and I really love the car except for the front end and it would actually be a deal breaker. I hope they either change it or I grow to like it, but as of now it has written off the brand for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #2537
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to get the cars in black to hide the grilles until they realize the mistake they've made and update them all in the next LCI.

A shame because the new M3/4 blow the last generation away in every way.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #2538
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, are the huge kidney grills on the new BMWs growing on anybody?

They're not growing on me. I just went through a build (for fun; I'm not in the market) of an M3 and I really love the car except for the front end and it would actually be a deal breaker. I hope they either change it or I grow to like it, but as of now it has written off the brand for me.
the M4 is not growing on me yet but I've built/priced an M240i several times over the last months. I am lusting over one in Thundernight metallic. Front end on it with the black package works for me.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #2539
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are their aftermarket grills? Seems like it is a gaping hole in the market that needs filling.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #2540
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are aftermarket grilles for the M3/M4 that make it look more like the F80.