Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't heard anything official, but it sounds like that will be the case again this year.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #42
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlights of the club's 1-1 draw with Reading U-23's. They also defeated Exeter City U-23's 2-1 today.

Also, if anyone has kids, season tickets are just $25 for the season.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #43
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shermanator, I'll come to some games this year. If there's some kind of Ship / game package deal, I'm in!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #44
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

$25 for the season?? That's great, wish I lived in Calgary/Okotoks . . . The new roster additions are also an extra benefit to come watch too.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming the Ship and Anchor sets up a bus for the home opener, here is the Facebook event where the supporters side of things is being organized.

https://www.facebook.com/events/412869385806638/

Old 03-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #46
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Assuming the Ship and Anchor sets up a bus for the home opener, here is the Facebook event where the supporters side of things is being organized.

https://www.facebook.com/events/412869385806638/
I’ll be there, can’t wait for it!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #47
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Got an email today that my jersey has been shipped, the season is getting closer despite what the weather is saying!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #48
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The club has confirmed there will be busses from the Ship and Anchor to and from the game. Last year I believe the bus ride was free for season ticket holders, and the package of a ticket, the bus ride and a pint was $15. If that changes I'll update things here.

Also, signings are starting to be announced. In addition to Ledgerwood and Carducci, Elijah Adekugbe, Jay Wheeldon, Moses Danto and Carlos Patino have all signed. Patino is a former Sounders 2 midfielder and Danto was signed to Phoenix Rising but couldn't get a work via due to being born in Sudan.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #49
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where can we buy the $15 tickets? Is it through the Ship?
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #50
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Where can we buy the $15 tickets? Is it through the Ship?
They usually have someone selling them an hour or so before the bus that you can get them from. Or from the bar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the move to Okotoks will be a positive one. Club has already doubled their season ticket base with 4 weeks left to go before the season.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #52
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No surprise there. The Dawgs went from averaging about 500-600 fans per game at Foothills (which was still a tremendous amount for the WMBL) to 2000+ in Okotoks.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #53
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

If Okotoks is a better market for pro soccer than Calgary, then we are in serious trouble before we even begin thinking of a CPL team.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #54
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If Okotoks is a better market for pro soccer than Calgary, then we are in serious trouble before we even begin thinking of a CPL team.
It's lack of competition. Similar to the Dawgs, Calgary probably fancies itself "too big of a market" for low tier soccer, similar to the Argos in Toronto.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #55
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I agree with corporatejay here. I think it speaks more to Calgary as a sports city in general more than towards pro soccer (which Foothills is not). This city is diehard to the Flames, and that's about it. All other sports in this city have a niche market and not much more. Given the complete lack of history with professional soccer in this city it's definitely an uphill battle.

I think a CPL club has the potential to capitalize on the current disgruntled Flames fan base, but the window to do so is very quick, and they actually have to do it by promoting themselves as the anti-Flames (e.g. by not trying to gouge customers, providing a significantly better gameday atmosphere, and actually winning). If they can't, then they just need to look to FC Edmonton's time in NASL as a comparable of how well a CPL club will be supported.

And yes, there is history in an amateur club moving to Okotoks and thriving. Hopefully this is the case for the PDL club, because they will be an important component of a CPL club and could thrive if they work with the community in the same vein as the Dawgs.

Last edited by shermanator; 04-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #56
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
It's lack of competition. Similar to the Dawgs, Calgary probably fancies itself "too big of a market" for low tier soccer, similar to the Argos in Toronto.
I don't think that's the case at all. And if it is, then would a CPL team really work here to begin with? If Calgarians already have "Argos" syndrome in pro soccer, then we've already lost.

I would wager to say that, given a new playing field with good capacity that everyone knows about, and a game-day experience built on a good reputation and bang-for-your-buck is what Calgarians want. The benchmark for a Calgary sports fan is basically a Calgary Flames game experience - which as shermanator puts it, shouldn't be hard to elevate from.

One major glaring thing with Calgary though, is that regional rivals are required for a team here to work. I think you see that with hockey, football, and lacrosse, but it's hard to pinpoint who Calgary's soccer rivals are, especially since Edmonton hasn't had a team in the same league. Maybe that's part of the reason why EFC closed shop too.

I am sure this had been debated into the ground already, but I think the visibility and importance of a pro soccer team - and Foothills FC is the most professional version of soccer we would currently be getting.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #57
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Calgary FC" was trademarked by the CPL on April 5th. How long till the venue announcement?!

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...ng=eng&tab=reg
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #58
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, 10k a game for the Roughnecks and 25-30k for the Stamps are rather large niches.

More importantly, satellite communities can take a team playing in a high school field far easier than big cities do. If Calgary had a decent, dedicated soccer pitch that was reasonably accessible, it would do better.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #59
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I have plenty of friends who are soccer fans but really have no interest in PDL, but I know they will be seeking season tickets and be avid fans for a CPL team
Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #60
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

https://mailchi.mp/fcedmonton/match-...1?e=1bbcc75927

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about; we need to see some provincial rivalries going to generate interest. I will try to attend this match and cheer on Foothills FC as best I can.

Tags
calgary foothills , pdl