Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh , I'd pass on Larfreniere. You get Byfield or Holtz or Lundell ypure looking pretty good.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thread title reads "in the bum for Lafreničre".
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #23
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

calgary est pas bon, il n'y a rien dans le draftpool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oh , I'd pass on Larfreniere. You get Byfield or Holtz or Lundell ypure looking pretty good.
Byfield is #1 for me.
Larfreniere #2
After that not sure. But you've got a nice batch of dynamic impact forwards in the top 10. #iwantone
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #25
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty ridiculous thread, blow it up so they have a 2% chance at a top pick? That seems pretty out there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've previously said that this wouldn't be a bad season to have a bad season.

Look at what the Avs have done - they too were up and down, but in the down they grabbed a franchise piece in Makar.
There's a lot of high end talent at the top end of this draft.
This group is showing they aren't a team that isn't going to compete for a cup. So you need to start managing to next season.
Identify the guys you think are part of that future. For me that is

Long-term: Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, BSD, Tkachuk, Lindholm

That's the group in my view. I wouldn't be in a rush to trade Monahan or Gio. The former because I think he's trying to evolve as a player and if he does - it's a big piece going forward. The latter for stabilization and leadership and to mentor a young D core.

So that leaves you with

Guys you move for rentals/vet help for other teams: Brodie, Hamonic, Frolik (if you can), Ryan (maybe- though I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him)

Guys you move if you can maximize their return, whether it be now or in the summer: Johnny, Sam

That's the blueprint in my view.
Johnny is your opportunity to bring in some serious quality pieces. If BT makes that deal it will define his legacy as a Gm and the future of this entire franchise. I don't think its hyperbole to call it the most important possible deal in the last 20 years for this franchise. Can't blow it.
You really should start a “It’s time to trade Gaudreau thread”. That’s the drum you’ve been banging for a while and I think it’s fair to discuss.

Interesting that the GM had this summer’s first round pick traded at the deadline last year. I wonder if he is thanking his lucky stars that move didn’t go through.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #27
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I rather have a top 5 pick than a wc finish and the flames favourite, a first round exit.

I am about ready to start cheering for losses come end of month. Flames could realistically only have a shot at winning 2 games the rest of nov.

A high draft pick and no brainer deadline to dump contracts could be a lot better than any fathomable alternative.

I share your POV. Would never have thought it would happen this early in the season. Management has probably considered the above option^ (a complete assumption on my part!) BT decided to go to bat with this group but the effort and the pieces just are not there.

Since BT didn't acquire what he needed in trades prior to the season and finishing high in the draft might be considered a way to acquire those pieces; That or a major shake up may happen at some point.

Every option is likely considered but it certainly looks like the team has collectively already thrown in the towel for this season. This just doesn't seem like an average team slump. Very disappointing!

On cheering losses? No way gotta cheer for the team wins. Rationally open minded, sure but very still disappointing! This team is much better than they have shown. Hopefully this teams wakes up soon before it is too late!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How about full Pens, or Caps or Avs.
Cheese and I could go full Bruins. Mind you they are our 1A team.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #29
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

On our show I started floating the idea that if you were going to have a bad season, this is the perfect season to do it.

The Flames have 2 highly desirable UFA defensemen, and perhaps the two single best D-men available at the deadline. That's a 1st + decent prospect for each at a minimum.

If you wanted to go full re-tool, Giordano might be a good piece to part with also as his age is a concern. A defense corp of Hanifin-Andersson, Valimaki-New Guy, Kylington-New Guy is a pretty good young defense corp.

If you wanted to fully shake up the forward group too, Backlund moving out would also get you a 1st +.

Just depends on how much you'd want to shake the team up.

Frankly I'd keep Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and the 4 young D-men + the goalies. Everything else though is up for grabs. If someone offers you a mint for any of the above pieces, consider it, but it would have to be a walk away winner of a trade for it to make sense like the Hamilton + Ferland for Lindholm + Hanifin trade.

This group needs a shake up and I think a strong shaking of the tree to move on from a whole group of players.

This draft is also one of the better ones with a great mix of guys throughout with plenty of D-men also. If the Flames could walk away from the deadline with 3+ firsts, that would be amazing.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #30
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
On our show I started floating the idea that if you were going to have a bad season, this is the perfect season to do it.

The Flames have 2 highly desirable UFA defensemen, and perhaps the two single best D-men available at the deadline. That's a 1st + decent prospect for each at a minimum.

If you wanted to go full re-tool, Giordano might be a good piece to part with also as his age is a concern. A defense corp of Hanifin-Andersson, Valimaki-New Guy, Kylington-New Guy is a pretty good young defense corp.

If you wanted to fully shake up the forward group too, Backlund moving out would also get you a 1st +.

Just depends on how much you'd want to shake the team up.

Frankly I'd keep Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and the 4 young D-men + the goalies. Everything else though is up for grabs. If someone offers you a mint for any of the above pieces, consider it, but it would have to be a walk away winner of a trade for it to make sense like the Hamilton + Ferland for Lindholm + Hanifin trade.

This group needs a shake up and I think a strong shaking of the tree to move on from a whole group of players.

This draft is also one of the better ones with a great mix of guys throughout with plenty of D-men also. If the Flames could walk away from the deadline with 3+ firsts, that would be amazing.

If we could get into the top 5 we could trade Gaudreau at the draft for another top five and an impact player. And as stated we probably have the pieces to get another one or even 2 within 10 (or just outside the top 10 range). The positive is that it wouldn't be a full rebuild but worth considering there are some strong impact pieces in this particular draft.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #31
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Aiming for losses and hoping to not win is not sporting. Break it down and argue for it all you want, but it's gross. The day i hope my team loses, I'll just stop being a fan instead.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #32
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
If we could get into the top 5 we could trade Gaudreau at the draft for another top five and an impact player. And as stated we probably have the pieces to get another one or even 2 within 10 (or just outside the top 10 range). The positive is that it wouldn't be a full rebuild but worth considering there are some strong impact pieces in this particular draft.
I don’t think acquiring top 10 picks is going to be that easy at all
How often has a top 10 or 5 pick been dealt in the last decade?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #33
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think acquiring top 10 picks is going to be that easy at all
How often has a top 10 or 5 pick been dealt in the last decade?

True. I say it wouldn't hurt to try! Gaudreau might get you one. Say if we acquired one outside top five we could always bundle that with Johnny. We do have some interesting pieces to play with should we go that route.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:36 AM   #34
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing to consider. The next 16 games are absolute murder until the christmas break.

Colorado
@ St. Louis
@ Philadelphia (11 AM)
@ Pittsburgh
@ Buffalo
Ottawa
Buffalo
LA
@ Colorado
@ Arizona
Toronto
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Montreal
@ Dallas
@ Minnesota (Back to back at 3 PM)

That takes us to the half way mark. Only Philadelphia, the Buffalo Ottawa and Minnesota games are against mediocre teams. The problem is two of those are oddly scheduled road games, and the one against Buffalo, if I recall correctly the Flames only have 1 win in Buffalo since 1996.

The rest of those games are against the best of teams or ones that they have to be on their game for to have a chance.

The Flames currently are in 9th but are only 2 points up on 13th, and each the teams behind us have between 2 and 4 games in hand. By the time that everyone reaches game 23, the Flames could be 25th to 28th in the NHL.

Things could go off the rails unless this team pulls up from the nose dive they are undergoing at the moment. I think that if the team doesn't go above .500 in those 16 games, it might be necessary to start the sell off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #35
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the post-game thread, it was mentioned also that Backlund could also get you a 1st + good prospect.

Why do people think Backlund trade value is worth that much? That's an All-Star player kinda pull there. Backlund is not consider a all-star at all, or an offensive producer in any sense. Plus his age now makes him a post-apex player. Why would a GM offer so much to get him?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #36
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
In the post-game thread, it was mentioned also that Backlund could also get you a 1st + good prospect.

Why do people think Backlund trade value is worth that much? That's an All-Star player kinda pull there. Backlund is not consider a all-star at all, or an offensive producer in any sense. Plus his age now makes him a post-apex player. Why would a GM offer so much to get him?
He's a good two way center that can play up and down the lineup. Centers always get more than they would if they were a winger, and Backlund is still young enough that he's viable for a few years and his contract isn't bad by any stretch. A good number of teams could use him as a #2/#3 Center.

Those typically come at a premium at the deadline as there usually is maybe one or two guys like that available.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never worth tanking but especially when there is not a clear cut #1 generational type player.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #38
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byfield and the goalie are the dream picks for me. Just dont screw up the season by playing bad then make a bad pick.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #39
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Starting this thread should be a banworthy offense. We are NOT the Oilers.

Never, ever, go full Oiler.
Not to mention tanking is a lot harder than it looks...remember the '10-'14 years? The Oilers just made it look so easy, they had losing down to a science
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #40
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's a good two way center that can play up and down the lineup. Centers always get more than they would if they were a winger, and Backlund is still young enough that he's viable for a few years and his contract isn't bad by any stretch. A good number of teams could use him as a #2/#3 Center.

Those typically come at a premium at the deadline as there usually is maybe one or two guys like that available.
How he's performing this season, there's no way he could even draw in a 4th rounder.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote