Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #21
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
so just to be clear, you're defending him by saying that, because he's old and conservative, its alright that he shares his racist sentiments on national television?
Well in essence I am saying I don't see anything really wrong with that he said. I can see where some of his point and some of his historical view points come from given his age, political leanings and up bringing. Should more Canadians wear poppies, support the troops, Legions, help out at food banks etc?? Sure, 100%. Should more immigrants? Probably, yeah. Some of the reasons why they may not were listed in my post.

Everybody has opinions when it comes to this stuff. Isn't that what is sometimes driving this tension when it comes to things in 2019? A lack of understanding on both parts? I really can see both sides to certain arguments, including this one.

Don Cherry is an opinion piece, that is what he is paid to do, mostly for hockey but he also gets into politics. He is the HNIC equivalent of an opinion column in a newspaper like Eric Francis.

To each their own I guess, I just don't get how so many people get worked up over everything these days. If somebody polled some immigrants as to why they DON'T wear a poppy, I am sure some people would be very offended as to their answer as well. The same would apply to Canadians who have a family history going back generations. Everybody has their points.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 02:08 AM   #22
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Well in essence I am saying I don't see anything really wrong with that he said. I can see where some of his point and some of his historical view points come from given his age, political leanings and up bringing. Should more Canadians wear poppies, support the troops, Legions, help out at food banks etc?? Sure, 100%. Should more immigrants? Probably, yeah. Some of the reasons why they may not were listed in my post.

Everybody has opinions when it comes to this stuff. Isn't that what is sometimes driving this tension when it comes to things in 2019? A lack of understanding on both parts? I really can see both sides to certain arguments, including this one.

Don Cherry is an opinion piece, that is what he is paid to do, mostly for hockey but he also gets into politics. He is the HNIC equivalent of an opinion column in a newspaper like Eric Francis.

To each their own I guess, I just don't get how so many people get worked up over everything these days. If somebody polled some immigrants as to why they DON'T wear a poppy, I am sure some people would be very offended as to their answer as well. The same would apply to Canadians who have a family history going back generations. Everybody has their points.
I think if he had come out and said that he was disappointed in all Canadians who don't support veterans financially with a poppy donation, you'd be correct. The difference is he specifically targeted immigrants which is racism in a nutshell.

Saying that everybody has an opinion doesn't really address the issue. Sure, he's not the only racist out there but he does have a national platform with which to share his views. That comes with certain responsibilities if you ask me, and I don't think that he lived up to those responsibilities tonight.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #23
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think this is one of those situations where we're focused on the wrong thing. Easy to make a call on whether Don is xenophobic or old/crusty/senile. And great if you think that. And great if you don't.

But the above aside, the most important takeaway to me is that this sound bite is another sign of the simmering culture wars brewing between those in rural Canada and those in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Ottawa.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #24
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
I think if he had come out and said that he was disappointed in all Canadians who don't support veterans financially with a poppy donation, you'd be correct. The difference is he specifically targeted immigrants which is racism in a nutshell.

Saying that everybody has an opinion doesn't really address the issue. Sure, he's not the only racist out there but he does have a national platform with which to share his views. That comes with certain responsibilities if you ask me, and I don't think that he lived up to those responsibilities tonight.

Is this something totally new to you though regarding his opinion of foreigners? Both hockey players and ordinary Canadians have been the subject of his opinions and, I agree, racism in some ways. I remember him back in the early 90's talking about how "terrible" some of these foreign players were and they couldn't play hockey etc. We all know how stupid of a take it was than and how bad it looks now.

I just think he is who he is and that is what makes him Don Cherry. If he was just another boring analyst, talking the same hot garbage, Coaches Corner wouldn't have the same ratings. For a VERY long time, it was the highest rated segment on Canadian TV and it still may be. Viewers aren't turning into the segment to see Ron's head nod and his white shirt and blue tie, it's for the crazy and sometimes, spot on takes from Don and his outfits.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 AM   #25
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Is this something totally new to you though regarding his opinion of foreigners? Both hockey players and ordinary Canadians have been the subject of his opinions and, I agree, racism in some ways. I remember him back in the early 90's talking about how "terrible" some of these foreign players were and they couldn't play hockey etc. We all know how stupid of a take it was than and how bad it looks now.

I just think he is who he is and that is what makes him Don Cherry. If he was just another boring analyst, talking the same hot garbage, Coaches Corner wouldn't have the same ratings. For a VERY long time, it was the highest rated segment on Canadian TV and it still may be. Viewers aren't turning into the segment to see Ron's head nod and his white shirt and blue tie, it's for the crazy and sometimes, spot on takes from Don and his outfits.

no, its not new to me. my disagreement with you is that don cherry doesn't get a racism pass just because hes don cherry and that's his thing, which seems to be the basis of your argument. agree to disagree.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #26
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don cherry is just a racist who does not understand hockey. I remember when he said Europeans could not play hockey, and since he said that hockey has given us a Russian who is the greatest goal scorer in the history of hockey, a Swede who was the best defenceman since Bobby Orr and a who is a legitimate contender for the greatest defenceman of all time and a Czech who was the greatest goalie of all time. Not really surprising that he continues his racism into his daily life. But he met Willie O’Ree once, so like Stephen Colbert he has a black friend.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #27
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If I know anything, it’s that HNIC is the PERFECT platform to deliver notices of cultural miscues to new immigrants.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #28
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why does everyone assume he's specifically talking about immigrants that just arrived(he probably was but not the point). It doesn't matter if you are an immigrant who came here 50 years ago, or you are a Canadian born here 5 years ago. EVERY ONE OF US should be wearing a poppy to show how proud we are as a nation(citizens born on Canadian soil, immigrants who have acquired citizenship, or new people to this beautiful place) to have had the luxury to be proud of these Soldiers, who defended ,or liberated, or kept the peace while flying the red and white maple leaf around the world for generations.

Don might have spoken his point in what seemed to be an offside manner, all he forgot to add was "Immigrants and Canadian citizens should all be wearing poppies". Had he added the rest of us, this would be a non issue.

Shut up and stop being offended, and go be a proud of our troops and buy a poppy instead.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #29
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Ironically, the poppy is a symbol for all those who gave their lives to defend our freedom to hold stupid/controversial opinions and express them on public forums. Don Cherry and those who want him fire for his opinions on this thread are fine examples.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nm
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #31
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant believe he is still on the air, it is pretty much just coach's incoherent rambling corner at this point just freaking cancel him already
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #32
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cherry’s great and anyone who doesn’t like him has probably never played hockey at a level higher than house league.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, I wish he would have focused on the scumbags that are stealing donations.

I think that a lot of times, people like to manufacture rage, were his comments off side, sure, its the ramblings of a old man, there was some truth about it. But this is on the CBC for not being able to have discussions with their on screen people about what they're going to talk about.

But we're in the age of I want to rage on the internet because it makes me feel enlightened and important.

I'm not a fan of what he said because it isn't really about immigrants, its about everyone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #34
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

* Bernier approves of this message. *
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Cherry’s great and anyone who doesn’t like him has probably never played hockey at a level higher than house league.
What does the level of hockey you’ve played have to do with anything in this discussion?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #36
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Somebody needs to look up racism and please quit saying it until you know what it means.

Again, Don is from an immigrant family, that was engaged in the Canadian military and World Wars. Canada played an important role. Poppy sales demonstrate respect and give financial support to veterans.

He sounded to me like he was expressing disappointment in the subset of immigrants that can’t be bothered to buy a poppy and show respect for people who died for their country. He is directing his opinions toward a group of people for their behaviour when it seems to him like a low and meaningful bar to acknowledge and support people who fought with their lives for the country to which his grandparents immigrated, and of which he has been demonstrably proud

He did not say “my race is superior to other races”. So please stop.

There is some irony in people lightly throwing around that word when it is pretty awful and illustrates their failure to understand his words.

Outrage culture is unfortunate.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #37
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't think he should be fired or anything, I can't stand the new thing where any time someone says something you don't agree with they need to lose their job.

But that doesn't mean it's okay to just single out immigrants for not respecting remembrance day. There's plenty of people born here that disregard it too

I think Don should lose his job for a lot of reasons. This is just another reason to add to the list.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #38
danny darko
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Wow. He said people come to this country, they love the way of life, they love the "milk and honey" the least they can do is buy a poppy... That's racist? I had read some of the comments here first before watching and was expecting some crazy vulgar racist rant. He's proud of this country, and he's saying if you move to Canada and are fortunate enough to call this country your home, then support the veterans who fought for the freedom you're now enjoying.. he's not saying he hates immigrants. Good lord people.
danny darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #39
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I think Don should lose his job for a lot of reasons. This is just another reason to add to the list.
Was that ageist?

Outrage incoming
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #40
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Was that ageist?

Outrage incoming

Hockey is generally a sport for white kids. It always has been. If this game is going to expand beyond that, they can't have an ignorant old white man (who is supposedly one of the most respected hockey personalities around for some reason) rambling about "you people" on national TV. It's ####ing embarassing, honestly. If he had ranted about people in general not wearing poppies, I wouldn't care. But he had to single out immigrants.

And then there were his comments about the Sabourin injury last weekend that were just terrible. Brushed off one of the ugliest injuries we've seen in a while by saying "he just got knocked out, no big deal". That shouldn't be acceptable either with what we know about brain injuries now.

The guy is a dinosaur, he doesn't contribute anything positive to the TV presentation, or quite frankly the sport in general anymore. He's done, get him off the air.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: