Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #1341
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Rules can be saved for places where they actually matter. Coachs corner doesn't affect anybody's livelihood and that's my point at least. It's not about defending Don, or blaming sportsnet, it's about desiring to see people grow a pair and save their energy for things that are actually worthwhile to put this much energy and debate into.
back in the 80's and 90's Cherry was affecting French and European players and coaches livelihood, his whole 'hockeys for tough English Canadians, the rest are to soft' did cost guys work.

I get that Cherry isn't a pillow case wearing kkk'er but his whole career has been an endless string of negative stereotypes and assumptions about minorities in hockey, Cherry is the very definition of a bigot in that way.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #1342
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that Don has lost it over the last few years, if you watch his press conferences from his days with the Bruins he was like Tortarella on steroids. Very blunt, clever, quick thinking, and humorous. That’s why they hired him for CBC.

The timing of his firing was bad and ultimately based on commercial necessity. Rogers signed a bad contract and is desperate to grow the game and increase demand for the product. They tried to do this when they replaced Ron with George but that did not really work, this is the beginning of plan B, whatever that is.

It’s not only a TV issue, all of the Canadian teams are having attendance issues, the NHL needs to attract new fans and grow, this “episode” was an excuse to bring that forward.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #1343
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
back in the 80's and 90's Cherry was affecting French and European players and coaches livelihood, his whole 'hockeys for tough English Canadians, the rest are to soft' did cost guys work.

I get that Cherry isn't a pillow case wearing kkk'er but his whole career has been an endless string of negative stereotypes and assumptions about minorities in hockey, Cherry is the very definition of a bigot in that way.
Half of the league you worship probably held similar views. Doesn’t make it right but it’s also wrong to lump everything on cherry now. We get from your multiple posts in this thread how much you dislike him.

But have you ever faced real bigotry? Because don cherry is small potatoes in that world.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #1344
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Half of the league you worship probably held similar views. Doesn’t make it right but it’s also wrong to lump everything on cherry now. We get from your multiple posts in this thread how much you dislike him.

But have you ever faced real bigotry? Because don cherry is small potatoes in that world.
Actually I don't dislike him at all, and I'm not even that arsed if they can him or not, I would have been fine if they'd just told Ron to get out there and clean up the mess in time for next weeks show, Cherry is no different today than he was in the 80's, that Don Cherry doesn't seem to like anyone but white English Canadians isn't exactly news, it's not like we all of a sudden have realised he's a bit of a bigot this week.

What I don't particularly like is people either misquoting him in order to debigot his statement about 'they come here' or claim he has a right to free speech, which firing clearly doesn't abrogate and so is irrelevant, or claim he's right to single out immigrants for not wearing poppies because everyone should wear a poppy while ignoring the fact that there is no proof immigrants wear or don't wear poppies anymore than anyone else and by singling them out he is doing nothing different than Trump and his 'they send their rapists' line of bollloxs just about a lower key subject.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 PM   #1345
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I don't dislike him at all, and I'm not even that arsed if they can him or not, I would have been fine if they'd just told Ron to get out there and clean up the mess in time for next weeks show, Cherry is no different today than he was in the 80's, that Don Cherry doesn't seem to like anyone but white English Canadians isn't exactly news, it's not like we all of a sudden have realised he's a bit of a bigot this week.

What I don't particularly like is people either misquoting him in order to debigot his statement about 'they come here' or claim he has a right to free speech, which firing clearly doesn't abrogate and so is irrelevant, or claim he's right to single out immigrants for not wearing poppies because everyone should wear a poppy while ignoring the fact that there is no proof immigrants wear or don't wear poppies anymore than anyone else and by singling them out he is doing nothing different than Trump and his 'they send their rapists' line of bollloxs just about a lower key subject.

^ Jesus Christ

Rapists

Even dignifying that crap ...
Black and white vs scale from 1 to 10

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 11-17-2019 at 10:37 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 PM   #1346
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ Jesus Christ

Rapists

Thought you were done with the thread?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #1347
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Thought you were done with the thread?

And in darkness emerges a shadow

At the time I said that, I thought I had seen all I needed to see here

Then the bar lowered. What can I say?

What are your thoughts on the equivalence of
“Murderers and rapists” and “enjoy Canada’s standard of livjng but don’t buy a poppy” ?

Not referring to how the grouping happens but what is implied of the group

Please, enlighten me

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 11-17-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #1348
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ Jesus Christ

Rapists

I was not drawing a comparison with the statement, just the inappropriateness of throwing out a completely made up racially charged fact, that immigrants don't honour Remembrance Day. No one has any proof of that its a completely made up line of rubbish, I assume Cherry saw a couple of guys not wearing poppies who were not white and next thing you know he is on national TV accusing, wholly without any proof, immigrants of disrespecting Canada and our troops etc etc.

This line of bigoted rubbish was so emotively effective that I and others here had to spend several pages trying to persuade another poster that Cherry didn't in fact accuse immigrants of 'leeching' off the system, an accusation the poster had effectively read into the speech for no better reason than that was the tone of the statement, meanwhile the loons protesting his firing outside SN offices in Toronto were going of about immigrant rape gangs crossing the border and the like.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #1349
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

“Murderers and rapists” and “enjoy Canada’s standard of livjng but don’t buy a poppy” ?

Please, enlighten me
Good lord.

The comparison made is a pretty legitimate one:

· US presidential candidate scapegoats immigrants to win an election
· HNIC commentator scapegoats immigrants to make a point about Remembrance Day.

I think you are a bright guy. I refuse to believe that you don't understand this, so I am left with thinking that this is intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #1350
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I was not drawing a comparison with the statement, just the inappropriateness of throwing out a completely made up racially charged fact, that immigrants don't honour Remembrance Day. No one has any proof of that its a completely made up line of rubbish, I assume Cherry saw a couple of guys not wearing poppies who were not white and next thing you know he is on national TV accusing, wholly without any proof, immigrants of disrespecting Canada and our troops etc etc.

This line of bigoted rubbish was so emotively effective that I and others here had to spend several pages trying to persuade another poster that Cherry didn't in fact accuse immigrants of 'leeching' off the system, an accusation the poster had effectively read into the speech for no better reason than that was the tone of the statement, meanwhile the loons protesting his firing outside SN offices in Toronto were going of about immigrant rape gangs crossing the border and the like.

^ Ok. In fairness, your last paragraph in the post quoted was one sentence and 13 lines on my browser.

On first read, I think I wasn’t clear where the rapist claim fell in your position
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #1351
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Good lord.

The comparison made is a pretty legitimate one:

· US presidential candidate scapegoats immigrants to win an election
· HNIC commentator scapegoats immigrants to make a point about Remembrance Day.

I think you are a bright guy. I refuse to believe that you don't understand this, so I am left with thinking that this is intentional.
I live in a world that has shades of grey, degrees of wrong and right

Again, on a scale of 1 to 10, in terms of offensiveness, please rank:
- You are a rapist and / or murderer, and are not welcome here
- you moved to a country and benefit from a higher standard of living but didn’t buy a poppy

Neither is right. But one is a hell of a lot worse
Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #1352
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- you moved to a country and benefit from a higher standard of living but didn’t buy a poppy

I am perhaps a little more sensitive to any of this as I have watched the same kind of spurious rubbish thrown out about foreigners just about tear the UK apart, none of it was Donald Trump levels of offensive, just a steady drip, drip, drip, of lies about east Europeans and the EU, I doubt anyone leading the Brexit campaign meant any of what they prattled on about, nor did they expect it to do harm, but it has turned the country upside down and it has churned up real violence and hatred.

I love the fact that we live in a country so peaceful and trusting we don't think foolish points of view will ever be taken seriously enough to do harm, and I certainly wouldn't accuse Cherry of wanting that, but Brexit has taught me that it is frighteningly easy to stir up racial animus in a population that aught to have more sense.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:23 AM   #1353
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Re: poll results

Basically 50/50 at this point. What he said was offensive. But I don’t expect an 85 year old to be “woke”.

Deserved better than to be fired on Remembrance Day, if for no other reason than his demonstrated support for the armed forces. Will always wonder what he would have said given a week to think about it and appear on 1 more Saturday Coach’s corner.

Guess I’m not the only one.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #1354
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

Basically 50/50 at this point. What he said was offensive. But I don’t expect an 85 year old to be “woke”.

Deserved better than to be fired on Remembrance Day, if for no other reason than his demonstrated support for the armed forces. Will always wonder what he would have said given a week to think about it and appear on 1 more Saturday Coach’s corner.

Why are a few posters feeling so hot to trot about the poll numbers, as some sort of “vindication” for their views? I posted this on the 11th, when there was already hundreds of posts on the subject, and it remains true now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And "the whole nation piles on"? We can barely get a majority consensus on this message board, but it's the whole nation?
All this silliness about people being “silent” or “going along with the crowd.” It rings a bit too victim-complex or self-important for me. I think it’s been pretty clear in this thread that the majority believed what he said was wrong, but there was no consensus for his firing.

I voted no. I think it’s silly to fire someone over that, but I also understand the context, so the firing really doesn’t bother me. I feel no vindication knowing 50% agree with me, considering how embarrassing some of the defences have been.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #1355
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

He specified that there was a major difference in the initial post. You’re just so ready to argue about this subject you don’t even read posts in their entirety.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #1356
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Please, enlighten me
You’re trying way too hard to argue for someone who is done with the topic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #1357
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Should he have been fired? IMO, no. But it was time for him to move on regardless. I don’t think he should have been brought back either way.
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #1358
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

If Sportnet waited a week, Cherry would've gloated thinking he said the right thing on national TV! There's no way to change this guy's views. A week would've probably boosted his ego dramatically! If Sportsnet had any opportunity to get rid of Cherry, that was the best chance they got and they did it without any legal ramifications. Cherry sliced his own throat and Sportsnet was relieved and happy to severed the head completely!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #1359
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/were-hurt-...113135503.html

Best take I've seen yet.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #1360
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The big thing to me actually lies within what Ron Maclean said.

MacLean said there were “steps that needed to be taken because of what had been said by Don” but that Cherry “didn’t want to do those steps.”

He was given the chance to apologize and clarify his statements - he refused. That is why he deserved to be fired IMO.

He could have rectified the situation, but he choose not to, and Rogers rightfully held him accountable at that point.

Then in order to make sure everyone knew he meant what he said he actually doubled down on it a bit by going on that P.O.S Tucker Carlson's show.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: