Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #5741
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Manual dryer? Is that a clothesline over a fire pit?
I hired the Maytag guy to spin really quickly near the gas fireplace. In the summers I let him do it outside.

I just meant no fancy electronics. Buttons and dials, like a proper cave man.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-14-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #5742
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wouldn't go with Samsung personally. I had their refrigerator and the design was entirely stupid. The ice dispenser would completely freeze and the only way to thaw it was the unplug the entire thing...which obviously has other issues.

Also personally, I would steer away from induction. I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, but for my money, gas is the way to go.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #5743
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I just wouldn't go with Samsung personally. I had their refrigerator and the design was entirely stupid. The ice dispenser would completely freeze and the only way to thaw it was the unplug the entire thing...which obviously has other issues.

Also personally, I would steer away from induction. I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, but for my money, gas is the way to go.
They both have benefits. I'll be going with the 2 unit gas and 2 unit induction when I do my kitchen.

You can get units this size in each, and have the best of both worlds:

https://boysappliance.ca/15-2-burner...top-jgc3215gs/
Old 12-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #5744
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just found the induction quite annoying. Like if the pots/pans aren’t perfectly flat it’s a problem. Sometimes they’d say they were good, we’d buy them and they were kind of finicky. We moved, and have the gas stove now and it’s just great.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:35 PM   #5745
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted gas for our last kitchen reno.

Wife wanted Induction...Guess who won.

At least we got all new pots and pans I guess.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:38 PM   #5746
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

We have a gas stove and I like it, except for the fact that it's trying to kill us. I was already aware of the huge increase in asthma risk for kids, and now we find out it's great for Leukaemia too:

https://news.stanford.edu/2023/06/16...its-benzene-2/

Now I always use the hood fan as a result, and that drops my enjoyment of it a bit because of the annoyance of the background noise.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2023, 10:27 PM   #5747
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knock on wood, no issues with our induction yet. Did spring for the extended warranty though, since it sounds like repairs can get pricey.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:16 PM   #5748
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
We have a gas stove and I like it, except for the fact that it's trying to kill us. I was already aware of the huge increase in asthma risk for kids, and now we find out it's great for Leukaemia too:

https://news.stanford.edu/2023/06/16...its-benzene-2/

Now I always use the hood fan as a result, and that drops my enjoyment of it a bit because of the annoyance of the background noise.
Yup. Always thought gas was nice but you couldn't pay me to put a gas stove in now.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:29 AM   #5749
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I just found the induction quite annoying. Like if the pots/pans aren’t perfectly flat it’s a problem. Sometimes they’d say they were good, we’d buy them and they were kind of finicky. We moved, and have the gas stove now and it’s just great.
Interesting, we’ve owned two inductions and have never had this issue a single time. Love the induction, we have gas piped in to the stove and I can’t imagine any reason to use it over induction.
Whynotnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:34 AM   #5750
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you use non-stick pans and after cooking immediately put cold water into your pots/pans and then toss them into the sink? That's how they warp.

If that's the way you want to use pots and pans, you'll need thicker stuff like stainless steel or carbon steel. Or... don't put water into the pots and pans while they're still really hot.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 09:48 AM   #5751
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Do you use non-stick pans and after cooking immediately put cold water into your pots/pans and then toss them into the sink? That's how they warp.

If that's the way you want to use pots and pans, you'll need thicker stuff like stainless steel or carbon steel. Or... don't put water into the pots and pans while they're still really hot.
It could be that, but now I just have the gas stove and I like cast iron, so it's a non-factor!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #5752
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my only desire for gas is the worry about laying a cast iron pan down a little too hard on the glass top.

Pans will also warp if you’re using the wrong sized element for them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:12 PM   #5753
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think my only desire for gas is the worry about laying a cast iron pan down a little too hard on the glass top.

Pans will also warp if you’re using the wrong sized element for them.
I didn't know this, but with how the induction works via EMF, it kinda makes sense.

I agree that cast iron or enameled cast iron on induction feels a little concerning at times, but the glass is pretty strong. I think it's because it's not perfectly smooth like a carbon steel, stainless steel or garden variety non-stick. It makes an almost grating sanding noise on the glass.

I've never broken any induction top ever for the 3-4 tops I've regularly used cast iron and enameled cast iron on. TBH, I'm not even sure I've put in much in terms of scuffs... minus the time I somehow left serious scratch marks after scrubbing a top using stove top cleaner. I still wonder if the chemical contributed to some type of chemical etching of the glass.

Now I realize all of that is stupid. The best way to clean an induction stovetop IMO is a flexible metal putty knife then wipe it down with some dish soap.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 10:18 PM   #5754
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kitchen hood fan vent is destroyed by probably hail/birds/UV exposure. Anyway, my problem is that to reach it I need a ladder, which is fine, but the ground is sloping so much that the ladder doesn't go anywhere near vertical if I try to plant both legs on the ground. Is putting a shim under one of the legs the acceptable means of solving this or is there a more conventional solution?
Old 12-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #5755
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My kitchen hood fan vent is destroyed by probably hail/birds/UV exposure. Anyway, my problem is that to reach it I need a ladder, which is fine, but the ground is sloping so much that the ladder doesn't go anywhere near vertical if I try to plant both legs on the ground. Is putting a shim under one of the legs the acceptable means of solving this or is there a more conventional solution?
A block under the short leg will work - proceed with caution. If possible secure the block by spiking it to the ladder foot and/or tying it to the wall.
Digging a hole for the long leg is the other option on unfrozen ground.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2023, 12:27 PM   #5756
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you try climbing out of a window before doing this method?

What you're suggesting seems kinda risky if the ladder can potentially slide or fall. I'd consider digging a hole on one or both side(s) to level out the ladder before considering a shim that could potentially slide out. Like, rip out a nodule of lawn and then replace when done like a golf divot or just cover the area in mulch or gravel in the future... Or if there's enough compact snow and ice, utilize that to level and keep the ladder in place. A small inexpensive hole or patch isn't worth the ####ty scenario of falling down and the long road to recovery that comes with it IMO.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #5757
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Can you try climbing out of a window before doing this method?

What you're suggesting seems kinda risky if the ladder can potentially slide or fall. I'd consider digging a hole on one or both side(s) to level out the ladder before considering a shim that could potentially slide out. Like, rip out a nodule of lawn and then replace when done like a golf divot or just cover the area in mulch or gravel in the future... Or if there's enough compact snow and ice, utilize that to level and keep the ladder in place. A small inexpensive hole or patch isn't worth the ####ty scenario of falling down and the long road to recovery that comes with it IMO.
Climbing out the window? Not really an option, since the hood exhaust is nowhere near a window.

I might just opt to hire somebody to come and replace it. It sucks cause it's pretty straight-forward job, besides the possibility of basically falling 2 stories onto a fence of something.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:36 PM   #5758
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only you can decide what is safe, and know the entire situation. If I needed to build a support out of some pieces of 2x6's, I'd probably just do that. But you can also buy leg extensions for this situation:

https://www.amazon.com/ladder-leg-le...er+leg+leveler
Old 12-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #5759
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Climbing out the window? Not really an option, since the hood exhaust is nowhere near a window.

I might just opt to hire somebody to come and replace it. It sucks cause it's pretty straight-forward job, besides the possibility of basically falling 2 stories onto a fence of something.
I guess it depends on the design of the house. I can climb out of the window of one room on the upper level in my house and walk across the roof to the other side where the vents are. But I am aware that not all houses have designs where this is possible.

If I need access to the roof facing the back yard, I can also put a ladder in the front and walk to the other side. I just have to be occasionally careful I don't put too much weight on the side of the roof and squash my rain gutter.

But yeah, definitely better to hire someone and not risk that cost if you can't risk falling off a house.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #5760
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Can you get a long stick and bash it a bit from the ground? Or throw stuff at it? Might kinda shake things loose and get it working again until spring.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote