Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Smartphone Thunderdome (Samsung vs. Apple vs. Google etc.)

To preserve threads that are specifically for the iPhone, or Nexus, or Galaxy, let's make this a thread where people can come for direct comparisons between all the phones.

+ a place where people can come to battle for the supremacy of their chosen device.

Last edited by Chill Cosby; 09-19-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Round 1

FIGHT!

EDIT: Some banners perhaps?

Last edited by chemgear; 09-19-2014 at 01:58 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why compare? We all know Android phones are far superior. At least that's what I'm told by "that guy" in virtually every single thread that revolves around phones.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
On that note anyone that watches Son's of Anarchy ever notice that despite being set in current times everyone uses flip phones?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
On that note anyone that watches Son's of Anarchy ever notice that despite being set in current times everyone uses flip phones?
Flip phones are the way to go for criminals. I think Walter White used them too, didn't he?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Flip phones are the way to go for criminals. I think Walter White used them too, didn't he?

It's because when you separate the two parts it makes it UNTRACEABLE
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious about how the camera on the iPhone 6 Plus truly stacks up against my Lumia 1020.

For example, in Austin Mann's much publicized report on his hands-on use, here, he provides what are labelled as "Unedited" iPhone 6 Plus photos, such as this one:

Spoiler!

which is a 1200x675 (96 dpi) image, (though the URL states "format=1500w"). Is 1200w or 1500w the maximum image size generated by the iPhone 6 Plus camera?

In comparison, my Lumia 1020 generates a 3072x1768 (72 dpi) image. Not stating that as better or worse, just as a comparison of the raw image data.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is interesting how the tables turned in the fanboy world. It was once Apple people frothing at the mouth, now it's the Android crowd that can't let people just enjoy their Apple stuff. The thing that the Android crowd just doesn't get, is some of us want a device that works really well, really easily, and most importantly, works with everything else I own.

I'll admit it, I am a full on Apple Kool-Aid drinker. Macbook pro, iMac, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, 3 X Apple TV. The fact that every single one of those devices talks to, or can be controlled by each other, and seamlessly sync and work with each other the second you take them out of the package, is to me the magic of Apple's ecosystem. That is how tech should be. Simple to use, and life enhancing. You should not have to spend 5 hours, and have to do custom programming and root your phone to get it to talk to your media server. I have way more fulfilling things to do with my life.

If Android offered a single brand experience with this simplicity, and Apple did not, I would be an Android user. And this is what the Androis user frothing at the mouth and spitting at his computer screen writing these rants about his Android phones MOAR MEGAPIXELS!! MOAR RAM!! don't get.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The camera is 8 megapixels, I think it's 3264x2448 but I can't find the exact dimensions.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Nothing beats:
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Nothing beats:

you baby

Prior to that I hada brick

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I used this Blackberry for 2.5 years and really liked it. To this day I don't think I've ever had something I could type as fast on (I had the RAZR for a couple years pictured a couple posts up and it was harder to hit the right keys without looking). The battery was an issue (it starting bulging and I was worried it would explode) and the outside screen broke, but it still did everything I needed at the time!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The camera is 8 megapixels, I think it's 3264x2448 but I can't find the exact dimensions.
After further investigation, the 3072x1768 (72 dpi) image is the 5 megapixel oversampled image. There are 7712x4352 images also created.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
You should not have to spend 5 hours, and have to do custom programming and root your phone to get it to talk to your media server. I have way more fulfilling things to do with my life.
That may have been the case in the past, but not any longer. Android has come a long way. I certainly haven't had to change any initial settings on my Moto X to get the most out of it, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed 3 years with an iPhone 4 beforehand.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That may have been the case in the past, but not any longer. Android has come a long way. I certainly haven't had to change any initial settings on my Moto X to get the most out of it, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed 3 years with an iPhone 4 beforehand.
Yes and no.

With how tightly iOS and OSX are tied together, there is literally nothing that has to be done to tether devices outside of the first pairing. It is never that simple with Android. Once Apple adds true home integration with HomeKit we are going to see a true revolution on how these devices can truly impact our lives. To me the idea of shutting down all the lights in my house, turning on the dishwasher, A/C unit, and sprinkler system from half way around the globe is what I am eagerly waiting for.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
you baby

Prior to that I hada brick
Amateur.

I rocked the Pioneer PCC-730. Moto guts, but it got you a dot matrix display, and 99, you heard me NINETY-NINE! number phone book. I couldn't keep the ladies away when they saw my baller phone, so the extra 90 numbers over the Moto 555 certainly came in handy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It is interesting how the tables turned in the fanboy world. It was once Apple people frothing at the mouth, now it's the Android crowd that can't let people just enjoy their Apple stuff. The thing that the Android crowd just doesn't get, is some of us want a device that works really well, really easily, and most importantly, works with everything else I own.

I'll admit it, I am a full on Apple Kool-Aid drinker. Macbook pro, iMac, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, 3 X Apple TV. The fact that every single one of those devices talks to, or can be controlled by each other, and seamlessly sync and work with each other the second you take them out of the package, is to me the magic of Apple's ecosystem. That is how tech should be. Simple to use, and life enhancing. You should not have to spend 5 hours, and have to do custom programming and root your phone to get it to talk to your media server. I have way more fulfilling things to do with my life.

If Android offered a single brand experience with this simplicity, and Apple did not, I would be an Android user. And this is what the Androis user frothing at the mouth and spitting at his computer screen writing these rants about his Android phones MOAR MEGAPIXELS!! MOAR RAM!! don't get.
Has anyone, besides Chill Crosby, frothed at the mouth?

The thread was going totally fine, comparisons and all, until Chill Crosby made that post about how Android users can't stand Apple users etc etc. None of that garbage was happening, until that point.

The tables haven't turned, it's just the way it's been going. Flip phone users ruled, then BlackBerry came along and BB users made fun of flip phones. Apple came along and Apple started to win and made fun of Blackberry, Android started to emerge and Android users poke fun at Apple. Get over it. Comparisons between devices will be made. The point about having to root your device is so outdated, it hurts. Talking down to people, saying they don't have fulfilling things to do in their life doesn't help.

So ####ing weird.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 09-19-2014 at 10:03 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Has anyone, besides Chill Crosby, frothed at the mouth?

The thread was going totally fine, comparisons and all, until Chill Crosby made that post about how Android users can't stand Apple users etc etc. None of that garbage was happening, until that point.

The tables haven't turned, it's just the way it's been going. Flip phone users ruled, then BlackBerry came along and BB users made fun of flip phones. Apple came along and Apple started to win and made fun of Blackberry, Android started to emerge and Android users poke fun at Apple. Get over it. Comparisons between devices will be made. The point about having to root your device is so outdated, it hurts. Talking down to people, saying they don't have fulfilling things to do in their life doesn't help.

So ####ing weird.
If you go into any comment section, anywhere, on the internet about the new iPhone, half of the comment sections are Android guys spewing Apple hate, call Apple users iSheep, calling Apple users idiots, and doing anything in their power to make Apple look bad. But the argument is falling on deaf ears.

A huge portion of Apple users don't care they don't have the fastest processor or most megapixels or highest DPI. There is more to tech, than a spec sheet. Just like cars, we will have customers stand in our showroom and say "But the _____ has more horsepower, so it must be better." Um, no. You cannot drive a spec sheet, it is a total experience. Handling, build quality, ergonomics, workmanship. And that is where the Android users typical arguments fall short. Most of the argument is simply based on performance specs. Not the end user experience.

The thing that appeals to me about Apple, has nothing to do with the company itself. There are a ton of things I hate about Apple as a company. It is the total package they have managed to deliver with incredible polish. Be it Samsung, LG, Sony... if any company made a competing ecosystem of products so well integrated and refined, I certainly would look at it. My brand loyalty is there because they currently make the only collection of devices that are so seamless and easy to use. It has nothing to do with a logo on a phone, or perceived brand cache.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

A huge portion of Apple users don't care they don't have the fastest processor or most megapixels or highest DPI. There is more to tech, than a spec sheet. Just like cars, we will have customers stand in our showroom and say "But the _____ has more horsepower, so it must be better." Um, no. You cannot drive a spec sheet, it is a total experience. Handling, build quality, ergonomics, workmanship. And that is where the Android users typical arguments fall short. Most of the argument is simply based on performance specs. Not the end user experience.
I dunno, most arguments I see are based on end user experience, not performance specs. I mean, you don't see HotHotHeat whining and going on how he doesn't care about widgets or bigger phones any more. Most of my arguments are based on the user experience, if not all of them.

Meh who cares, I'm too drunk and tired to make a list. I like that Apple finally made a bigger phone. The 6+ is th first iPhone since the 4 I'm actually curious to play with. The camera seems sick.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote