Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #41
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was the Shining a movie you had to see as a kid to get it into your top 5? I watched it as an adult (late 20's) and I have to be honest, I didn't find one single part of it scary at all. Not even tense.

I spent the last half of the movie wishing Jack would STFU. If anything, it was comical. Crazy dood rambling on, wife who almost always had the deer in the head lights look and that black dood traveling how far just to get a axe in his chest? lol
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The original Amityville horror was really frightening, the exorcist was a great psychological terror, I would have to add the first Hell Raiser movie, it was absolutely brilliant for its time. Rosemary's baby was a pretty jumpy ride.

3/4'ers of it was absolutely brilliant, the last quarter killed it.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #43
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Alien: Sci-fi's horror standard. Without JS Gigeure's horrifying and twisted artistic direction, it could have just been another flavour of the week space film. It's the glue of the film.
Who knew he was both an NHL goalie and a surrealist artist?
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Was the Shining a movie you had to see as a kid to get it into your top 5? I watched it as an adult (late 20's) and I have to be honest, I didn't find one single part of it scary at all. Not even tense.

I spent the last half of the movie wishing Jack would STFU. If anything, it was comical. Crazy dood rambling on, wife who almost always had the deer in the head lights look and that black dood traveling how far just to get a axe in his chest? lol
Things have changed a lot since the Shining was released. At the time it was a masterpiece but even the best movies don't 100% withstand the test of time. Not everyone is going to have identical movie tastes either.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #45
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Who knew he was both an NHL goalie and a surrealist artist?
HAHA.

Holy crap, I didn't even realize I did that.

HR Giger I meant. Too much hockey on the brain...lol.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #46
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Good call on both of these. Pandorum got bad reviews IIRC, but I enjoyed it. Felt like a mix of Event Horizon + Aliens.

Pandorum was great. It was one of those Netflix "Meh, I'm gonna kill a couple hours here..." films, and ended up sucking me right into it. And the twist was exceptional at the end.

I thought it was going to be totally low budget, but it was surprisingly high quality.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #47
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Honestly, although I enjoyed Audition I didn't feel it lived up to its hype. I'm not sure why exactly, but I wasn't blown away by it.
Yeah your not the only one, there is just something about Takashi and his style that I love, Ichi the killer has the same reaction by a lot of people.

Quote:
Good call on both of these. Pandorum got bad reviews IIRC, but I enjoyed it. Felt like a mix of Event Horizon + Aliens.
Exactly! This is why Pandorum was so good, it put those 2 excellent horror films together really well.

Quote:
Another fantastic recommendation. I had I Saw the Devil in my top 5 overall films, but didn't include it in my top 5 horror films as it's more of a psychological thriller I suppose. Either way, I love this film.
It really stands out, funny you should say thriller, in Fangoria film fest LA in 1997 a speaker talked about studio's avoiding calling movies Horror films in order to attract a wider audience because they felt there was a stigma to that genre and thriller appeals to a wider audience. So many movies titled as thrillers should be called horror films, so I tend to see thriller's as horror films, I think personally this film is exactly what a Horror is, because the story and what happens is horrific stuff.

Quote:
As an aside Thor, what other Korean horror/thriller films would you recommend? I've seen (and loved):
Bedevilled, Thirst, The Host, The Vengeance Trilogy, Memories of Murder, Mother, The Man from Nowhere, The Chaser, A Bittersweet Life, The Yellow Sea, and a few others I can't recall at the moment.
Let me get back to you on that, I have a friend who's lived in Korea for 10years now and going to ask him what his are, he's a big fan of Horror as well.
AC