Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not really a "problem" but I fall asleep too easily. I'd like to read or listen to music/podcasts at night, but within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow, I am asleep.

Maybe these rituals have trained my body to fall asleep quickly? Can a routine make it easier to fall asleep? Ex. going to bed at the same time every night, wake up at the same time, reading for 10 minutes, listen to a podcast?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #42
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who have trouble falling asleep, I pretty much fall asleep to this every night. PS it sounds 100 times better with earphones in. HD sound, if that makes any sense:

There's a ton of em on youtube but I find most of em are terrible and fake sounding, this one's the real deal. Who knew thunder could be relaxing? ...too bad this works way better for me when I'm falling asleep the first time than at 3am when I'm trying to fall back asleep.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #43
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Insomnia? Just grab a pillow and blanket, hit the couch and turn on golf, soccer or baseball.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Insomnia? Just grab a pillow and blanket, hit the couch and turn on golf, soccer or baseball.
Now that's just torture. What you're watching has to be monotonous but interesting enough to hold your attention for a while.

Game walkthroughs on YouTube. Seriously. You just have to find the ones with bearable commentary. A lot of the people doing them are shrill americans with God knows what chemicals flowing through their brains. But not all.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #45
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
For those who have trouble falling asleep, I pretty much fall asleep to this every night. PS it sounds 100 times better with earphones in. HD sound, if that makes any sense:

There's a ton of em on youtube but I find most of em are terrible and fake sounding, this one's the real deal. Who knew thunder could be relaxing? ...too bad this works way better for me when I'm falling asleep the first time than at 3am when I'm trying to fall back asleep.
Now I have to pee.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or you just get used to it.

After visiting multiple doctors and getting a bunch of tests come the conclusion is that I'm really sound and motion sensitive when I sleep. Great when your a cop or in the military, not so good for the normal life span.

I've also started getting the old guy two am piss requirement.

So I'm used to not getting a full nights sleep anymore.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #47
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

While I still have trouble getting out of bed in the morning, falling asleep usually isn't a problem (unless I've had coffee to late in the day, then the reason is obvious).

- I use the bed in the bedroom to sleep, I don't watch TV there, or read there, or surf the internet on my laptop there. I found this helps the sleeping process, kind of like a Pavlov's dog reaction, lie down in bed and go to sleep.

- I cut coffee after supper (generally). If I have a night class I won't, if I'm going out drinking or need to be up late (say to watch my ball team blow the World Series) then I'll have coffee, late

- Diet, I try and eat healthy. I'm not a strict health nut, but generally a fruit smoothie in the morning, chicken/beef, potato/rice, veggies for supper, leftovers for lunch. Proper diet makes a big difference not only with sleep but overall health.

- Routine is good, I'm bad at it, but when I'm on a good routine I feel better and sleep better. Seriously, the weekends I'm up early I feel so much better the rest of the week, I just have that whole getting out of bed problem.

When I can't sleep the trick I use is to read without my glasses. The eye strain makes me tired and knocks me out. Obviously this doesn't work well if you have 20/20 vision, then I guess low light would help?

Whatever happens, I hope that thinks work out. Not sleeping really really sucks.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #48
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Hey...I resemble that remark!

Meh, I like it. I go back to bed thinking, woohoo, still got 4 more hours before I have to get up and go to work.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #49
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Or you just get used to it.

After visiting multiple doctors and getting a bunch of tests come the conclusion is that I'm really sound and motion sensitive when I sleep. Great when your a cop or in the military, not so good for the normal life span.

So I'm used to not getting a full nights sleep anymore.
Agreed, I'm like that too. It's amazing how well I can function off 5-6hrs sleep, and when I actually do rarely get an 8hr one, I'm practically bouncing off the walls all day. It's these 3-4hr ones that are killin me right now.

I just hate it when it crops up again in the fall/winter, I always get sick once its been 3+ straight days of it. My family on my dad's side has the most pathetic immune system, methinks I need to move to the tropics.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-01-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #50
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Just had to bump this very old thread (newest insomnia one I found), going through a major bout of insomnia right now. It's a family trait unfortunately, but I have it worse than anyone in my family. I find even Melatonin and Mercyndol don't really work anymore, Melatonin gets me about 4-5hrs, Mercyndol maybe 5-7 if I'm lucky. 8's impossible.

My problem isn't falling asleep, its staying asleep. I get up to pee at like 3am and then its just game over, I'm up the rest of the night. My mind just races. Sometimes anxiety, but usually just random anythings that pop in there, Flames, whatever. I see I'm not alone, how do you guys handle it?

EDIT: I find the worst part for it this time of year is after 3-4 days of it I just get so worn down that I end up getting sick, like the cold I'm catching now. Totally sleep-related.

These work quite well....
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #51
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I found out if i cut my sleep back to about 6 hours my insomnia really cleared out, realized 8-9 hours was way too much for a 24 hour day. Also keeping the timing consistent through weekends made a big difference.

Keep in mind I got a 5 year old itching to get going on saturday and sunday morning to get me motivated to move though
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #52
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ that looks like 200 poorly rolled joints.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
^ that looks like 200 poorly rolled joints.
Yeah, I just grabbed one of the first images on google. No skill.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #54
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always had a hard time falling asleep, I've taken all kinds of over the counter medicines with some success. After a couple of weeks I would grow more tolerant of the medicine and it wouldn't work. Now I take OTC melatonin that I got from Target and it works wonders. I've never had to up a dose, and within 20 minuets I'm drowsy and out. It also doesn't seem to make me groggy like all those other OTC medications.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #55
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had a number of prescription sleeping pills. I was taking blues (imovane aka zopiclone) for about 5 years. They worked wonders, but after a while i started experiencing some memory loss and blackout periods as a result of not taking them properly. I was also prescribed a mild sedative but i can't recall the name. Now I live a much more structured/routine based life and my sleeping patterns have become more consistent and I have much less trouble falling asleep. I found that if i was on more computer before bed, I would never really get tired so I stopped browsing before bedtime and started reading Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child and it has really helped.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #56
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just my personal experience:

every summer, after university finals, I used to sleep at around 5 am and wake up at 1 pm. It happened this summer and in 2010.

I noticed that the it only happened when I was not active during the day. And by "active" I don't just mean having a job or just going out, but exercising 3 times a week and going for a run at least twice.

This routine isn't for everyone but if you're 18-30, this is a must for you IMO. In turn, I get 8 hrs of sleep. (and having a 8 am class helps)

When I am active, I sleep like a baby.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #57
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition to the sound and rain vid, there is also something called the 'delta sleep system'. Although I don't have problems sleeping it can help me get into the deep sleep mode.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #58
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

hahaha I have a whole playlist of ambient/chill out music that I use to get to sleep fast.

One of my discoveries is this:

That made me go to sleep sooooo fast.

Also, there is a Cafe is spain called Cafe Del Mar that releases records of various musicians that perform there; some of their songs a pretty relaxing.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #59
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
In addition to the sound and rain vid, there is also something called the 'delta sleep system'. Although I don't have problems sleeping it can help me get into the deep sleep mode.

YES! I have the whole 1 hr of it! I thought I was the only one!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #60
bomba
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't wish insomnia on my worst enemy... nothing feels worse!
bomba is offline   Reply With Quote