Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should've just let Mony and Johnny sleep today, they looked drained last night.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol, jankowski second line centre.

The flames didnt spend 9 million on centres in the last 6 months to play them 10-14 minutes a night.
The order in which fans list the lines on an internet post does not determine their TOI. I also actually addressed that issue in the post.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
From what I saw yesterday, i would love to keep Tkachuk and Czarnik together.
After the 1st game in China, everyone wanted to keep Ryan and Czarnik together as well. I find that Tkachuk has chemistry with pretty much anyone he plays with. What I would like to see from all this depth is balance throughout the lines.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The order in which fans list the lines on an internet post does not determine their TOI. I also actually addressed that issue in the post.
Bennett finally on line 1D!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol, jankowski second line centre.

The flames didnt spend 9 million on centres in the last 6 months to play them 10-14 minutes a night.
Let's hope the new coach doesn't subscribe to the theory that more money and term equates to deserving of more ice and opportunity. That type of management drIven decision making led to Brower as a top 6, power play guy, and 10 goal guys being handed 2nd line duties.

Let performance dictate role, and maybe this year will actually look different. If Backlund or Ryan out perform Jankowski then pencil them in ahead of him, but make that decision independent of player cost and commitment. That type of analysis places Lucic on a line with McDavid.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Fair, but based on the preseason, plus the Backlund contract, it looks like Peters is really inclined to keep Backlund and Tkachuk together on line 2, wouldn’t you say?
I think some of the pairs are established for sure (23/13, 19/11, maybe 18/77) but I'm not ready to move Lindholm to the third line based on one exhibition game that had Czarnik score three times.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
I noticed a star beside Hogstrom is he hurt?.
Yes. He still hasn't participated in a full practice, but he has been skating on his own.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #28
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
From what I saw yesterday, i would love to keep Tkachuk and Czarnik together.
I think that is just Tkachuk being Tkachuk. Czarnik has a nose for net for sure, but I honestly think Tkachuk is just coming into his own. He will make everyone on his line better. I still think the best play is to put Tkachuk - Backlund - Neil together, solid 1B line that would be hard to defend. That would allow you to drop Czarnik onto the third line with Bennett and Jankowski, then roll a fourth line of Dube - Ryan - Frolik. I don't think we have a weak line, period... at least in the preseason
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #29
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
Let's hope the new coach doesn't subscribe to the theory that more money and term equates to deserving of more ice and opportunity. That type of management drIven decision making led to Brower as a top 6, power play guy, and 10 goal guys being handed 2nd line duties.

Let performance dictate role, and maybe this year will actually look different. If Backlund or Ryan out perform Jankowski then pencil them in ahead of him, but make that decision independent of player cost and commitment. That type of analysis places Lucic on a line with McDavid.
I like janko, but at what point has he put performed backlund or Ryan?
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #30
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
I like janko, but at what point has he put performed backlund or Ryan?
As a rookie, in fewer games played, he scored more goals than both players last year. It's one metric, and a small sample size, but to imply that it's not possible for Jankowski to be at higher level than Ryan or Backund is miopic.

Let Peters sort it out, and hopefully the process will be free of bias based upon contract or tenure. I would hope that's why Peters is here, to put the right people in the right places.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
As a rookie, in fewer games played, he scored more goals than both players last year. It's one metric, and a small sample size, but to imply that it's not possible for Jankowski to be at higher level than Ryan or Backund is miopic.

Let Peters sort it out, and hopefully the process will be free of bias based upon contract or tenure. I would hope that's why Peters is here, to put the right people in the right places.

I don’t think Jimdon implied so much that it wasn’t possible as that it hasn’t happened. Jankowski’s impressive showing as a rookie notwithstanding he really is not yet as good a player as either Backlund or Ryan at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #32
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don’t think Jimdon implied so much that it wasn’t possible as that it hasn’t happened. Jankowski’s impressive showing as a rookie notwithstanding he really is not yet as good a player as either Backlund or Ryan at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By and large I agree on Backlund, but based on his history with the canes, I wouldn't necessarily pencil Ryan in ahead of Jankowski.

As an optimistic fan I give Treliving due for acknowledging past miscalculations, and I trust Peters to make objective calls on personnel. Unfortunately, I believe management decisions have influenced personnel deployment in the recent past, and this impacted team performance. Hopefully, with a new coach there is a greater commitment to meritocracy, and that will result in a better morale, and conversely, more consistent compete on the ice.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski hasn't passed Backlund yet, that is indisputable.

However, assuming Jankowski continues to develop (he was, afterall, a rookie last year), there is not going to be a huge difference between the two, and little to no difference between him and Ryan.

Also, putting lines together isn't just about ranking guys 1, 2, 3 and 4. It's about chemistry and fit and purpose of the line etc.

Considering the depth of the Flames' forward group this year, and the relative tightness of their overall skill levels (after the top line), you can put just about anybody on any line and they are not out of place.

I won't be surprised if Jankowski is on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line (and he'll probably be on all of them). He, and just about everybody else, can play just about anywhere in the lineup this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: