Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #21
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

During his time here, whenever Butler was on the ice for a goal against my roommate and I would tell at the TV "THE BUTLER DID IT!"
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #22
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should fire the guy who thought having Butler in the top 6 was a good idea
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
We should fire the guy who thought having Butler in the top 6 was a good idea
Jay Feaster?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Waivered early so that he clears and other teams haven't found out if their guys are NHL ready.

Hutchinson waived as Luoungo and Riemer will be the Panthers goalies.

102 NHL games 43-39-11 on a team that was missing the playoffs on a regular basis.

Last year in the AHL 17-5-1 2.08 GA .935 Sv % 2nd Team year end AHL All Star.

Flames won't pick him up as they hope Rittich and/or Gillies will be better.
Hutchinson is a solid goalie, and while I do think he might be a slight upgrade on either of Rittich or Gillies, I'm not fully convinced of it. Rittich has it in him to steal some games, and early on last year his save percentage was hovering between .920 and .930. Gillies has high end potential as well, so long as he cleans up the bad goals that he tends to give up. A trend that Hutchinson hasn't gotten away from yet either.

In my mind, the Flames have several bullets in the chamber if you include Parsons down the road as an option. Picking up Hutchinson now tells the goalies in your system that are currently competing for an NHL job that you don't think much of them and their confidence may be lost as a result, especially if they're close to the NHL. That's not a smart way to develop your goalies. All for what, a guy that might be a marginal upgrade, but probably not?

It's just not worth the risk.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take a chance on dansk
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #26
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still think Gillies is progressing towards being a good NHL goalie. His progression is at a steady, normal rate.

There was a moment or two when we thought he might get there at an exceptional rate but he didn't. Goalies rarely do. Look at most of the goalies considered top level in the NHL

Carey Price 4 years junior --> great rookie season --> 2 difficult years --> breakout year

Pekka Rinne 2 years backup in Finnish league --> 3 years AHL --> breakout

Bobrovski 2 years Russian 2nd division --> 3 years KHL with average stats --> great rookie season --> difficult sophomore season --> breakout

MA Fleury 3years in junior slightly above average stats --> alright rookie year -->lockout with average stats in AHL --> tough year --> breakout

Lundqvist 4 years in SHL (mostly good stats) --> great rookie year --> continued success

Luongo 4 years in junior average stats --> ok rookie year --> ok second season --> breakout

Vasilevsky 3 years Russian junior leagues --> good KHL year as as 1A/1b goalie --> 2 years split seasons as backup and AHL goalie --> breakout

Hellebucyk 2 years NCAA (great stats) --> good AHL year --> good year split between AHL and NHL --> up and down year as #1 in NHL --> great breakout

Corey Crawford 4 years junior (good stats) --> 5 years AHL (average stats) --> breakout

Holtby 3 years junior --> 3 years AHL (with 2 good NHL callups) --> split AHL/NHL season -->good NHL season --> breakout

And so on. Only Hellebucyk and Lundqvist got to their breakouts quite fast and only Lundqvist did it smoothly. Hellebucyk's 2016-17 led to the Jets giving Steve Mason $8 million dollars.

Gillies looks like this:

2 years USHL (ok stats) --> 3 years NCAA excellent stats --> season lost to injury --> ok AHL season --> good AHL season with ok NHL callup

I see progression. I am happy with Gillies. He has a 2 year-contract and I think that's perfect. If the progression is not there by the end of the contract then we cut him loose perhaps.

I am happy with him being a 60 game AHL goalie this year. Or maybe he and Rittich platoon the backup role (1 up 1 in the AHL) until one of them definitively grabs it. Or maybe he backs up Smith this year. All of those scenarios can potentially take him to the next step.

I am not discounting the possibility that he is our number one goalie next year. It could happen. His progression has been pretty good and he can make enough progress this year to get there.

I can't see any reason to bring in Dansk to complicate the situation. Behind Smith we have three goalies with NHL potential, one who has lost his way (McDonald) and one who probably isn't going to get anywhere close (Schneider). Too bad about the last two but I am happy with the situation on the whole.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Dansk had more NHL games under his belt while holding those numbers then maybe.

He's as proven as Gillies, and less so than Rittich.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #28
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Dansk is a clear enough upgrade to guarantee him a roster spot.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #29
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any takers on Moulson? Anyone?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Dansk has looked good in the preseason and basically whenever he's played in North America in recent years. He's exactly the type of gamble the Flames need to make. I want to see a new face in goal in this organization.
Change for the sake of change because you are impatient is how terrible asset management happens.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #31
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
We need to give Bennett a break. Perhaps a Butler pickup will establish CP balance
Bahahaha! Now, that's funny! I guess the only thing that'll balance out is one or the other will be crappy on either ends of the ice!

Now that Brouwer is gone, I'd like to see if Bennett actually shows up this season. There's no where to hide and no more excuses.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #32
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. I'm almost completely over Gillies and Rittich. I think at a certain point we're stifling progress in favour of misguided loyalty to the mediocre options we already have. I think the Flames are going to shoot themselves in the foot if they don't pursue external options very soon.
Classic example of how Canadian fans are too impatient, and put pressure on their favourite team for change far too quickly and often.

BOTH goalies progressed last year. Both. And they have only been with the organization for 2 years.

How the hell is that stifling progress? Or misguided loyalty for that matter?

JC.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Both goalies progressed last year? Idk about that. Rittich looked very shaky as the season progressed and performed poorly in the AHL as well. And Gillies is still wildly inconsistent and hasn't shown many good starts at the NHL level.

I'm all for patience when it looks like there's a spark of NHL greatness there -- it's why Bennett should be kept, for all his faults -- but too much patience is how you get stuck with Brent Krahn as your best goaltending prospect for eight years.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #34
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dansk has looked good in the preseason and basically whenever he's played in North America in recent years. He's exactly the type of gamble the Flames need to make. I want to see a new face in goal in this organization.
Kind of ironic given you have Klimchuk as the Flames top prospect? Patience on the one hand...

Dansk might be intriguing but no way you guarantee him an NHL spot over what we have.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question, has an NHL goalie ever been claimed off of waiver wires before?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #36
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Kind of ironic given you have Klimchuk as the Flames top prospect? Patience on the one hand...

Dansk might be intriguing but no way you guarantee him an NHL spot over what we have.
Well, two things about that. For one, Dube has far surpassed Klimchuk by now, although I still hold the latter in high regard. And in a position as fickle as goaltending, you need to cycle through options until you find somebody with potential. The Flames have been far too deliberate in testing out options doomed to fail in recent years while only bringing in mediocre veterans from the outside to counteract their own mediocre prospects. The only goaltender with any real potential in the Flames' system right now is Parsons and maaaaybe Gillies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honest question, has an NHL goalie ever been claimed off of waiver wires before?
Yeah, Curtis McElhinney was claimed by the Leafs in 2017. There are other cases too

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #37
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies I get but I don't hold high regard for Rittich. I could live with him being elsewhere.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.

Last season, Vegas claimed Subban off waivers and Florida and Montreal both claimed Niemi.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #39
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for the answers.

I should rephrase: Has a goalie who turned into legitimate starter been found on the waiver wire before?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you for the answers.

I should rephrase: Has a goalie who turned into legitimate starter been found on the waiver wire before?
Pretty sure Devan Dubnyk was waived at one point. Wouldn't be surprised if Craig Anderson was too years ago

Edit: yes to both counts. In fact, Anderson was claimed three times in 2005-06

Edit 2: Mike Smith was waived by Tampa in 2011

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-21-2018 at 03:12 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: