Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #41
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
And this is why the current lottery form sucks balls.

The minute a club appears they'll miss playoffs (even though they haven't been mathematically eliminated) fans, and very likely club staff, turn their attention to the draft. I hate that.

I wish all 14 teams who miss the playoffs have a 1/14th chance of getting the top pick. That will do away will all tanking and fan apathy. I really hate that fans are already losing interest in the outcomes of games. Wtf is the point of playing the games then?
Yeah I agree. At the same time then they'll just tank thinking lets secure second overall and hope for 1st lol.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #42
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the All Star break
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The minute a club appears they'll miss playoffs (even though they haven't been mathematically eliminated) fans, and very likely club staff, turn their attention to the draft. I hate that.

I wish all 14 teams who miss the playoffs have a 1/14th chance of getting the top pick. That will do away will all tanking and fan apathy. I really hate that fans are already losing interest in the outcomes of games. Wtf is the point of playing the games then?
totally agree, and the NHL points system...Nashville has 2 more wins than Calgary but 9 more points
Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Raymond likely a placeholder for Jooris or Colborne
True. Though I wouldn't mind him in against the Preds (but not on that line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It's sad that Jooris is the least frustrating out of those 3.
Colborne's been hot the last two games. He did a lot with minimal ice time last game.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
totally agree, and the NHL points system...Nashville has 2 more wins than Calgary but 9 more points
I don't complain overly about loser points as from year to year that changes for every team as some years you win a lot of games in OT and SO and others you don't. Every team has exactly the same 164 points available to them at the start of the season so how you go about attaining them really doesn't matter and if you are behind by 9 points it is what it is regardless of how either team attained their points.

The bigger issue for the Flames and the reason they likely have very little chance of making the playoffs is because of parity as the Flames would have to leapfrog four other teams just to be tied with Nashville. It's one thing to gain ground on one or two teams but there's too many teams right now between the Flames and a playoff spot. They would need to go on another 8 game winning streak and after that still play at a high level as winning 8 in a row and then playing .500 or worse after won't get it done. It's getting close to time to evaluate players that can be moved at the trade deadline.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #46
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the 3 point game system, what gets me is the playoff format with the wildcard. I liked it a lot more when the top 8 from each side made the playoffs that way you don't have a team from a terrible division make it ahead of better teams.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #47
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
Would love to see Jooris get a shot with Monahan and Gaudreau. Love what jooris brings but don't think his style of play meshes with Gaudreau. Here's hoping they catch some lightning in a bottle!..
He did like two games ago I believe.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #48
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He did like two games ago I believe.
They played together as a line for portions of the game against Dallas. Very small sample size.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #49
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't mind the 3 point game system, what gets me is the playoff format with the wildcard. I liked it a lot more when the top 8 from each side made the playoffs that way you don't have a team from a terrible division make it ahead of better teams.
That happened in the old format too. Especially when everyone in the SE division sucked.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #50
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It always happens when because a team in the west would have more points then a team in the east but it's likely to happen again this year where a team with less points makes it and a team with more points sits out. I liked the old school 8 east teams and 8 west teams. That's just me. Not a fan of this wildcard bs.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #51
DynastyEra
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't remember where I read it but someone had a pretty good solution to teams packing it in once they are on the outside looking in..

The team with the best record AFTER being mathematically eliminated gets the best chance to win the pick. That gives the worst teams more time to accumulate points, and the order is determined by the non-playoff teams records. It's not so much that these teams suck, they just give up, its hard to motivate the locker room when you're planning your summer holidays on the bench between shifts.

So doing it this way gives the team new life, gives the fans some entertaining hockey, and essentially you're playing for the 1st overall. Sort of a game within the game. It's good for everyone. Injects some pride into "winning" the pick. "We earned it"

Obviously the flaw is in that if a team has an awful record during that period, shouldn't they truly NEED the 1st overall? Well, teams suck for a lot of reasons not related to roster parts. In today's game, any team has the roster to compete for the cup. I just think its the best way to get out of the "tanking" mentality. Hockey is a product after all, who the hell would spend hundreds of dollars for the 81st game in the season?
Would you go see that same game if it was to see your team win Auston Matthews?

I may be missing details but I really liked this idea, or any variation with minor detail changes.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised no one has made some kind of Photoshop with a picture of one of our guys chasing Neal or someone with the "To Catch a Predator" on it.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #53
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyEra View Post
I can't remember where I read it but someone had a pretty good solution to teams packing it in once they are on the outside looking in..

The team with the best record AFTER being mathematically eliminated gets the best chance to win the pick. That gives the worst teams more time to accumulate points, and the order is determined by the non-playoff teams records. It's not so much that these teams suck, they just give up, its hard to motivate the locker room when you're planning your summer holidays on the bench between shifts.

So doing it this way gives the team new life, gives the fans some entertaining hockey, and essentially you're playing for the 1st overall. Sort of a game within the game. It's good for everyone. Injects some pride into "winning" the pick. "We earned it"

Obviously the flaw is in that if a team has an awful record during that period, shouldn't they truly NEED the 1st overall? Well, teams suck for a lot of reasons not related to roster parts. In today's game, any team has the roster to compete for the cup. I just think its the best way to get out of the "tanking" mentality. Hockey is a product after all, who the hell would spend hundreds of dollars for the 81st game in the season?
Would you go see that same game if it was to see your team win Auston Matthews?

I may be missing details but I really liked this idea, or any variation with minor detail changes.
The NHL has made a bunch of bad changes to the draft lottery lately IMO. I'm not sure why making the top 3 picks all up to lottery got a stamp of approval. Puts randomness and luck into the equation and has the potential to crush an awful team. You could be historically, sub 50 points bad and get 4th overall. The difference between Ovechkin and Ladd. Crosby and Pouliot.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #54
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

That system would still benefit whoever was mathematically eliminated first, some teams may have 20 games and go 4-16 and beat out the team that was mathematically eliminated with 4 games and went 3-1.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #55
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Wednesday, January 27
Nashville at Calgary, 1930h Mountain
Flames feed in red

Game is on the Sportsnet One in Canada, therefore it is not on Centre Ice.

USA
Indemand - Game 3 SD Game HD3
Directv - 771 SD 771-1 HD
Dish - 576 SD 9544 HD Hopper channel 475-04

Sirius Radio-- Siri 91 (Internet 926)
XM Radio-- XM 91
SXM Radio-- SXM 91

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not just have 14 balls in the barrel representing the 14 teams who missed. You draw 1 to 14, and that is the order of the first 14 picks. Voila. If your team still sucks, find a new GM. Don't rely on the draft lottery.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why not just have 14 balls in the barrel representing the 14 teams who missed. You draw 1 to 14, and that is the order of the first 14 picks. Voila. If your team still sucks, find a new GM. Don't rely on the draft lottery.
Yeah, let's give the Kings Jack Eichel last year. Just what the other 29 teams need.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #58
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is how it should work for sure
Old 01-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #59
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are the Preds so hush hush on who's starting in net?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rinne has been red hot on this road trip the Preds are on. If the Flames get him tonight it'll be a tough task. Even if we get Hutton tonight it may be tough. Good thing is, the Preds can't score just like the Flames. Might be a bit of a boring night.

Than again Gaudreau is at home so he may light the offense up a bit. Just want a good night from the FW's.

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin