Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this:

http://weatherpeace.blogspot.com/201...-found-in.html

Weather radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a NORAD radar station on Tongue Creek road between Longview and High River. On the side of the road there are these four weird egg structures that look exactly like these NORAD radars....

Asking cause they might also be alien pods readying their hatch. Would like to know for sure one way or the other.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #962
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you read that? it says they are part of the Globestar satellite communications network, not weather radar. But then they go on to talk about HARP so I'd consider any info you read on that page dubious.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #963
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given that this document mentions Smith Falls and High River,

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/globalstar00102.pdf/$FILE/globalstar00102.pdf

And you can see Smith Falls has the same arrangement,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gl...!4d-76.0164561

I think we can conclude these 4 domes are part of Globestar's network.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #964
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Did you read that? it says they are part of the Globestar satellite communications network, not weather radar. But then they go on to talk about HARP so I'd consider any info you read on that page dubious.
Nope...

Just looked at the pictures...and made a wild guess...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #965
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good new story:

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/09/21/c...r-competition/

Quote:
For elite members of the world’s military, this is kind of like the Olympics of sniper skills.

Starting today and running until September 28, the Canadian Army’s Infantry School will host the 20th Annual Canadian International Sniper Concentration (CISC).

The annual event takes place at the Combat Training Centre at one of Canada’s main military bases in Gagetown, New Brunswick.

The event will see elite military shooters from Canada, France, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, the United Kingdom, and the United States in the event, which is as much a learning exercise for all involved who will discuss and exchange information on tactics and techniques as a competition as there are awards given

Quote:
In this century, a Canadian set the world record for a confirmed kill of a Taliban during the Afghan war in 2002 at just over 2,300 metres. Shortly after another Canadian beat that by shooting a Taliban at over 2,430 metres.

This was only beaten in 2009, by a British soldier who killed another armed Taliban at 2,475 metres. The Canadian military took back and shattered the record during a mission in Iraq in 2017 with a confirmed kill on a Daesh (ISIS) group about to ambush Iraqi forces. That shot was at over 3.5km.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #966
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

We may be buying Global Hawk Drones*!

* - some assembly required
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #967
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
We may be buying Global Hawk Drones*!

* - some assembly required
Man...just when you thought Canadian military procurement couldn’t get any worse Transport Canada says, “hold my beer”.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #968
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh great, more scraps that don't run. Where have I seen this before
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #969
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lockheed Martin selected as preferred designer for Canada's next generation of warships

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fri...ence-1.4869268

Yay?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #970
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hopefully this means that the Liberals will decide on the F-35 as Canada's future fighter and we can get that file moving.

Lockheed Martin was behind the design and construction of the Littoral Combat Ship, a interesting concept with a lot of struggles in terms of cost overrun and capability issues, however I really loved the concept of a modular mission capable war ship.

When Canada talks about building warships we have to have multi role capable ships, we don't have the luxury of building multi classes to support anti-sub, surface, air defense and intelligence gathering.

What I'm hoping is that this decision shows the commitment to Canada building a small, extra capable bleeding edge technology military.

Having advanced frigates at sea, advanced fighters in the sky, and well armed and trained men in woman in their roles as well as advanced intelligence gathering capabilities is the way to go.

If you're smaller you need to kill 10 planes for every plan you shoot down, you need to kill a lot of men for everyman that goes down and inflict more damage then you receiver.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

New Chinese recruiting ad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1053134039744339969

Peace behind me, war in front of me.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #972
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bumpo

Dassault pulls out of the fighter jet replacement program removing the Rafale off of the board

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ompetition-to/

Quote:
The federal government has hit a first obstacle in its effort to foster a competition among five aircraft manufacturers for the $26-billion contract to replace Canada’s fleet of CF-18s, as French-based Dassault Aviation has pulled its Rafale fighter jet out of the race, sources said.

The company has recently conveyed its decision to the federal government, said one government official and two industry officials to whom The Globe and Mail granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Interoperability is becoming a key issue with the competitors

Quote:
However, the three sources said Dassault felt that Canada’s requirements in terms of interoperability with the North American military posed too much of a problem. Dassault is the first company to pull out of the competition, but the two industry sources said there is no guarantee that the four other qualified bidders will enter the competition that is scheduled to be launched officially by May. At this point, there are two American fighter jets pre-qualified in the race (Lockheed-Martin’s F-35 and Boeing’s SuperHornet) as well as two European aircraft (the Eurofighter Typhoon, made by a consortium that includes Airbus, and Saab’s Gripen)

There are only two jets right now that meet the interoperability standards that is a big part of Norad.

We might see this competition coming down to a two plane race as the Typhoon and Saab Gripen might not be able to meet those requirements out of the box.

It could come down to the Boeing Super Hornet and the F-35.

Don't know if this is in here.

But Canada has chosen the Bae Lockheed Martin bid to use the Type 26 city class frigate to eventually replace the Halifax class frigate

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...type-26-design

Quote:
The Type 26s that BAE is building for the U.K. Royal Navy, also known as the City-class, and the modified versions it will deliver to the Royal Australian Navy, are multi-purpose ships, which you can read about in more detail in a past profile I wrote on the design here. The new ships are supposed to eventually supplant the existing 12 Halifax-class frigates, which the Royal Canadian Navy received in the 1990s and are the service's only major surface combatants today. The Canadian Surface Combatant program to replace those vessels first formally appeared in the Canadian National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy in 2008.

Type 26 class frigate

Speed
Type 26 26 knots

Halifax 30 knots

Armament

Type 26

48 cell anti-air missiles using the Camn or advanced Sea Sparrow
24 cell VLS air to ground or antiship missiles based around the Tomahawk or 24 ASROC rocket boosted torpedoes

1 5 inch gun
1 Chinook capable landing deck

Halifax

8 harpoon missiles
16 advanced sea sparrows

Old 11-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #973
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Canada being sued over the selection of the type 26 Frigate being built by Lockheed Martin by Alion Science and Technology

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...n-60b-warships

Quote:
But one of the other two bidders, Alion Science and Technology, has asked the Federal Court to quash the government’s decision, saying Lockheed’s design did not meet the navy’s stated requirements and should have been disqualified.
Two of those requirements related to the ship’s speed, Alion said in court filings, while the third related to the number of crew berths.

Quote:
Alion added that its own proposed design, which was based on a Dutch frigate, met all of the navy’s requirements. It also said that it has received no information about why Lockheed’s bid was selected over its own, despite requests for answers.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #974
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like Alion came at the process honestly and with the best product they could produce, instead of just offering a product and bribing your way to selection.

That's not the Canadian way, fools.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #975
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Between the Canadian Fighter Jet Replacement issues, this, the court marshal of Mark Norman, the Government getting basically ripped on by NATO including the British over their spending, it just seems like the Armed Forces is in its worse state then ever.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #976
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
New Chinese recruiting ad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1053134039744339969

Peace behind me, war in front of me.
That is a really well produced and emotional ad.

But kind of scary in that it seems to be foreshadowing an impending or unavoidable war. China has been pretty isolationalist when it comes to international conflicts, but now that they are economically branching out globally, I can't help but think they are going to join the other super powers in projecting power outside of their traditional sphere through their military.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #977
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That is a really well produced and emotional ad.

But kind of scary in that it seems to be foreshadowing an impending or unavoidable war. China has been pretty isolationalist when it comes to international conflicts, but now that they are economically branching out globally, I can't help but think they are going to join the other super powers in projecting power outside of their traditional sphere through their military.

Their next generation of naval strategy is all about the projection of power. Air craft carriers are the ultimate expression of power protection, they're also building new generation SSN and SSBN's. On top of that they've ramped up production on amphibious assault ships.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #978
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah China's ambitions and naval power projections aren't too hard to see. Taiwan and the South China Sea will be a very interesting place in the next 10 years

Last edited by btimbit; 11-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #979
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Between the Canadian Fighter Jet Replacement issues, this, the court marshal of Mark Norman, the Government getting basically ripped on by NATO including the British over their spending, it just seems like the Armed Forces is in its worse state then ever.
At this point, Harpers F-35 purchases would have been a far cheaper option than what the Libs are doing. I'm sure they're still paying out the yearly tens of millions to stay in the F-35 buyers list, Paying how many billion for some used up Aussie F-18 Super hornets, on top of using tax payer money to further fund the "search" for a replacement.

Seems Canada is so very skittish about procuring from anywhere but the U.S because it might hurt the U.S military industrial complexs feelings.

I voted Liberal because the F-35 at the time wasn't justifying the costs. But this is a whole new nightmare.

Also, did the Government not have a shiip building contract fiasco we're paying for too? loss of a building contract for the navy for some supply ships or some such thing where we outsourced the build over seas?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #980
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
At this point, Harpers F-35 purchases would have been a far cheaper option than what the Libs are doing. I'm sure they're still paying out the yearly tens of millions to stay in the F-35 buyers list, Paying how many billion for some used up Aussie F-18 Super hornets, on top of using tax payer money to further fund the "search" for a replacement.

Seems Canada is so very skittish about procuring from anywhere but the U.S because it might hurt the U.S military industrial complexs feelings.

I voted Liberal because the F-35 at the time wasn't justifying the costs. But this is a whole new nightmare.

Also, did the Government not have a shiip building contract fiasco we're paying for too? loss of a building contract for the navy for some supply ships or some such thing where we outsourced the build over seas?

I was onboard with the purchase of the F-35 from the start, and stayed on board.

If people go back in history and look at the development of the F-18 Hornet, it had a ton of technical issues that marred its development.

The one benefit of the wait that's unintended was that the cost per plane on the F-35 will come in at about $85 million dollars per plane thanks to the increase in production and roll out.

When you compare it to the other planes in the contest.

The F-18 Super Hornet
The Eurofighter
The Gripen F

The Eurofighter is being marketed at about $95 million euro's per plane. The Gripen 39 NG will be about $70 million per plane, the Super Hornet is about $70 million per plane.

Frankly in terms of interoperability, sensors and stealthiness none of those other options compare to the F-35.

At the other end of the argument if you're going to have a tiny airforce, would it not be logical to buy at the bleeding edge of technology especially since this country tends to run things way beyond its self life.

The Gripen and the F-18 are not in the same class as the F-35, especially when you consider the future upgrade path of the F-35.

This whole thing has been about political points and not about what's best for the men and woman who protect this country.

If they buy anything but the F-35 then I have to question how they arrived at that decision. But then again our defense minister beyond being dishonest is terrible at his job.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: