Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #241
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Yes, jack stands are necessary. The car is not secured on a hydraulic jack. If you're under it and the jack gives out, have fun.
There is no reason to be under the vehicle, you could use the factory jack but the are usually a pain, a hydrulic floor jack works great.

You can do 1 wheel at a time using the factory wheel wrench, don't over tighten, they don't need to be that tight. Swing by a tire shop for a "re torque" after a day or two.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #242
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because it can be done or you have done it, doesn't make it the right way to do it. I've done it as well with only the jack, but in reality, we should all use jack stands.

I don't know why anyone would advocate not using jack stands.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #243
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Does anyone know withe a 2006 mazda 3 s 5door that comes stock with 17's can I use 16 inch rims for the winter like the ones on all other versions of the mazda 3 or am I stuck trying to find 17 inch tires followed by bending over and apply some lube as I purchase them.
Find someone who has 16" rims and try them... All that it really needs is for your rims to clear the brake caliper.

I had 15" on my Mazda 3 Sedan.

Or if you're unsure, try asking the tire shops if you can go down to 16s
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #244
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Just because it can be done or you have done it, doesn't make it the right way to do it. I've done it as well with only the jack, but in reality, we should all use jack stands.
If done properly with a decent jack on level ground its perfectly safe. Jack stands are a pain in the ass. Plus you have to lift the vehicle higher than required to remove the tires. The only time I use jack stands is when I'm going to be under the car.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #245
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

re: Jack stands.

So you've jacked up your car... take the wheels off, and for some reason your jack gives out. The control arm, the hub and everything drops and hits the concrete floor. Your axle is damaged and you have to get everything replaced.

Is that really worth spending a little extra and a little more time putting jack stands under the car?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #246
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
re: Jack stands.

So you've jacked up your car... take the wheels off, and for some reason your jack gives out. The control arm, the hub and everything drops and hits the concrete floor. Your axle is damaged and you have to get everything replaced.

Is that really worth spending a little extra and a little more time putting jack stands under the car?
Hardly, It would land on the rotor, you'd jack it back up and put the tire on. Suspension/brake components are much more durable than that.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #247
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Hardly, It would land on the rotor, you'd jack it back up and put the tire on. Suspension/brake components are much more durable than that.
I've seen pictures of axles breaking, shocks leaking, etc... from a pot hole

I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #248
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I'm a bit of a newbie and lack confidence, when/if I start doing my own changeovers I'll probably spend the $50 and get a pair of jack stands. My pappy-in-law has a big mo-fo hydraulic jack that has a two big arms and he never uses the jack stands, but I realize that he's using industrial-grade stuff and there's probably a lot more stability there.

Thanks everyone for the tips for doing my own changeovers. Not trying to hijack the thread, but changeovers are a good addition to the winter tire discussion.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #249
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
I've seen pictures of axles breaking, shocks leaking, etc... from a pot hole

I wouldn't be so sure.
Thats when the vehicle is moving.. Your suspension can take a lot of abuse, more than a 4-6" drop onto concrete can provide.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #250
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I have nowhere to store my tires and therefore never get winters because of storage issues. Does anyone know where a gal could get some all season or all weather tires for cheap (aka lightly used) I've tried all the kijiji / usedcalgary / craigslist ads and none are really anything great. Do some tire places have used options?
Try that Blaskin and Lane on Macleod Trail and 58th (close to Chinook Mall). I know they sell used tires and they also do storage on tires.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #251
Olao32
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For all those people who are saying you purchased $50 seel wheels, where dod you get them? All the places I have found that have steel wheels sell them for well above $50/rim.
Olao32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Olao32 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #252
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You might get a good price on alloy rims at the wreckers ? Offer to pay cash
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #253
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olao32 View Post
For all those people who are saying you purchased $50 seel wheels, where dod you get them? All the places I have found that have steel wheels sell them for well above $50/rim.
Costco, but apparently Calgary ones might not have them this year.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #254
Olao32
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Costco, but apparently Calgary ones might not have them this year.
Damn. And i cant even get ahold of the garage on the phone to ask, and they are not on the website. Apparently you have to go into costco for all price checks now.
Olao32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #255
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olao32 View Post
I seem to recall paying about that much for some steel wheels for my Jetta two years ago at Canadian Tire. These were little ones however (14"), which might be one of the reasons they were cheaper.

Also - I have read in a couple of places that the steelies at Canadian Tire are difficult or impossible to put a hubcap onto. I didn't care how they looked anyway, so it didn't matter.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #256
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone know withe a 2006 mazda 3 s 5door that comes stock with 17's can I use 16 inch rims for the winter like the ones on all other versions of the mazda 3 or am I stuck trying to find 17 inch tires followed by bending over and apply some lube as I purchase them.
Yup you can use 16" rims no problem. I use 17" rims in the summer and 16" in the winter on my Mazda 3.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #257
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok great then I will stop looking for 17 inch rims and go for 16 since there is a way better selection!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #258
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok great then I will stop looking for 17 inch rims and go for 16 since there is a way better selection!
Plus you will have more rubber underneath your rims which will give you a more comfortable ride over rough roads and ice. Steel wheels are nice too because winter is pretty hard on rims and it's not a big deal if your steels get bent or damaged by the salt and gravel.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #259
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya I am pretty much going for what ever cheapest option I can find between them all. I can get a set of 17 alloys for 300 without rubber so If I can find a deal on rubber I may jump on that.

Is it a bad idea to run 2 different type of tires on a 2 wd car? Say 2 different types of winter for front and back
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #260
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That would be fine,