Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #81
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

For some of you good players out there, another question:

When do you use your high loft (56 or 58) wedges vs something lower (48 - 52)? Are you always using a high loft around the green? Is it completely based on yardage?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #82
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is often reflective of what type of shot you are trying to play and the lie. You can really use any club around the green depending on what you are trying to do. Sure I am more than likely going to hit either a 56 or 60 when I am between 60 and 100 yds, but green side shots under 60 yds may be anything depending on pin location, how much roll out is needed, the lie etc. And of course, bounce of the club is a huge factor. Generally speaking, I think too many people play (try to anyway) green side shots way too high, trying to land the ball close to the pin and immediately stopping- ie. they pitch w/ a lofted wedge when they should chip with a short iron- which often results in the ball being very short of the pin. Hinge and hold with short irons just requires a lot practice, perfecting how much air time vs roll out you get with different clubs. Certainly lofted wedges with a wide open face are required on greens wih tight pins and no room to work with, but the hinge and hold chip is easier to execute imo.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #83
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I could've waited for the new (coming out soon) 716 series but wow, prices have gone way up (obviously a lot of that due to our weak dollar). 714s were about $1000 and it looks like the 716s are close to $1600.
That is just ridiculous. They are great irons, but come on.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #84
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
When do you use your high loft (56 or 58) wedges vs something lower (48 - 52)? Are you always using a high loft around the green? Is it completely based on yardage?
To me the loft is not completely based on yardage but more on air vs ground travel distance. Lofted wedges are generally used for longer air travel distance shots. I would picture where I would want the ball to land, if it is more land and less air, I might use a 9 iron for a short 10 ft chip short.

I would use my 56* for a 60 yd pitch short if I have to get over hazard to get onto the green. So just picture where you want the ball to land to pick the right club.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #85
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
That is just ridiculous. They are great irons, but come on.
Totally agree. I think clubs are going to be pricey next year. I don't really need anything else but if I am thinking about it I will probably pick up any new gear at the end of this year (discounted prices) v. the higher retail prices next year.

Strictly hearsay but I spoke to two different shops recently and a couple of examples:

1. with regards to the Titleist irons, old msrp was based on an 89 cent dollar. the new prices will be based on a 70 cent dollar.

2. with regards to a wedge from a particular manufacturer, apparently the shop's cost for the wedge was $105 this year. Next year's equivalent will be $149. Then tack on the mark up.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #86
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
For some of you good players out there, another question:

I use the lowest loft that will allow me to execute the shot.

If I can putt it, i putt it.

If I can't putt it, I'll chip it.

If I can't chip it, then I'll pitch it (with the high lofted clubs)

Basically, I only go up in the air if the pin is tucked tight, not much green to work with, or I have to carry something. The sooner I can get the ball rolling like a putt works best for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #87
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
2. with regards to a wedge from a particular manufacturer, apparently the shop's cost for the wedge was $105 this year. Next year's equivalent will be $149. Then tack on the mark up.
I was thinking picking up some clubs next year as the season is ending. But I'm gonna pick something up sooner now.

BTW, would balls go up? They are generally my biggest expense so I better stock up on them. But at 4-5 bucks each for the premium balls, they are already quite expensive.

Last edited by darklord700; 10-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #88
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

When to use a lofted club? I carry a 54(100YD) and a 58(70YD) on a full swing. Around the green it can completely depend on the lie, uphill using a much less lofted club and down hill a more lofted club. If the lie is flat, I look at the pin position and how I want to land the ball and how I want it to react to where I land it.

In my personal opinion. If you're an average golfer shooting around 100, don't try and chip, pitch, punch, flop or whatever around the green. Find a club you are comfortable with around the green and use it. That can be a 7-iron or a 58 degree wedge. You can talk yourself out of shots by trying to make them more complicated then they need to be.

I am 7 HCP, I practice a lot of the shots I previously mentioned. In reality I bump and run a PW 95% of the time. I think a 5ft putt is easier to make then hitting another shot 6 inches from where my ball just was or 40yds from where it was after I bladed it.

Last edited by GomerPile; 10-02-2015 at 02:47 PM.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #89
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I carry 50/54/58. I only will hit the 50 with a full swing. The other two are 3/4 at the most.

I pitch with the 58 up to about 30y away from the green. Any chipping/bump and run is with the 54.

Like Gomer said, find a club you like around the green and use it. This is an area of the game that I couldn't spend enough time practicing. I spend most of my practice time on putting, then short game then full swing. When I spend an hour practicing, maybe 15 minutes are on full swing shots.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #90
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I carry 50/54/58. I only will hit the 50 with a full swing. The other two are 3/4 at the most.

I pitch with the 58 up to about 30y away from the green. Any chipping/bump and run is with the 54.

Like Gomer said, find a club you like around the green and use it. This is an area of the game that I couldn't spend enough time practicing. I spend most of my practice time on putting, then short game then full swing. When I spend an hour practicing, maybe 15 minutes are on full swing shots.
What's the bounce angle like on your wedges? I've found that my swing has flattened out over time and I'm thinking of getting a 54 with 12 instead of 14.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #91
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

50*8/54*11/58*8
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #92
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the great feedback!

It was pretty rare that I felt my approach wedge wasn't enough loft. There were times were I was close up in the sand or, as mentioned, needed to land it without risking too much roll.

I practiced chipping for awhile and played a round using the 56 as often as I could just to practice. Besides the getting used to the club and amount of swing I needed, I noticed there's more error with the loft wedge as far as ball contact vs my approach wedge. Ergo, as per the advice, I will be sticking more with the approach wedge around the green.

One more question - do you guys lean towards a higher loft if the ball is in a bad, thick lie and sunk down (around the green)? Or is that an easier shot to bump and run because you won't need to get right under it?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #93
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone know of a place in town that carries the Bagboy Revolver series of cart bags? They look pretty interesting.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #94
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So obviously the weather sucks today but I got out to everyone's favourite begin/end of season course HeatherGlen....and I was stunned at how great their greens were. Never seen them that good, they were in great shape and rolling really true. Almost every time I've been there it's been bumpy or just looking rough. Tee boxes were not great but not that big a deal.

I also have to once again highly recommend the PING G30. On the par 5 9th on the Creek 9 (something like 490 yds), I went driver, lob wedge to hit it in 2. It has distance for days and is insanely forgiving. I also want to try the TaylorMade M1 as it's getting similar rave reviews.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #95
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I was thinking picking up some clubs next year as the season is ending. But I'm gonna pick something up sooner now.

BTW, would balls go up? They are generally my biggest expense so I better stock up on them. But at 4-5 bucks each for the premium balls, they are already quite expensive.
Again, I have no actual knowledge, but I don't suspect balls will be immune to the price increase. That being said, I have had luck previously buying balls during the winter. The last time I loaded up, I got premium balls (Srixon Z-Star) for $20/doz when they were being cleared out to make way for the new year's model.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #96
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I also have to once again highly recommend the PING G30. On the par 5 9th on the Creek 9 (something like 490 yds), I went driver, lob wedge to hit it in 2.
You must have driven like 350 yds and hit a 150 wedge to get there. Crazy distance.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #97
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maple Ridge is also looking the best I have ever seen. Quite respectable at the moment, especially considering the insane weed problems back in May. Was shocked when I played there last Saturday. At this time of the year, I am more or less done with throwing out $100 for golf and just get in a weekly Saturday round at a cheaper course. Looking at the forecast, should still be a couple more rounds get in before the end of the season.

I suppose you would learn to pace yourself a little better if you lived in a year round golf climate, but I am more or less ready for a break by the time October rolls around. The 6 month golf season here is fine with me and makes me appreciate it more.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-03-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #98
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
You must have driven like 350 yds and hit a 150 wedge to get there. Crazy distance.
I mean it was a perfect swing, right on the sweet spot but even still I've used the G30 in 3 rounds now and I'm averaging close to 310 a drive, a good 25 yards longer than I have been in years past. I'm in love I must admit.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #99
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good place to order balls from

knetgolf.com
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #100
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
What's the bounce angle like on your wedges? I've found that my swing has flattened out over time and I'm thinking of getting a 54 with 12 instead of 14.
I think where you play has a ton of influence on the amount of bounce you should have. High bounce is useful if you're playing a softer fairways/sand like the carolinas or florida. Around here, I find high bounce to make you skull a lot when you play open-face shots because the ground is so hard. And most sand around here doesn't make high bounce necessary either.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow