Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #2101
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Speaking of scrambles, I just played in a four man at the facility which is the University of Arizona home course. A Notah Begay design that is bitching tough. Winning team shot a 51, five better than anyone else. Fifteen birdies and three eagles! In all my years in the game, never saw a score that low, and that included playing an event with Rich Beam. Anyone ever hear of a score that low on a championship course?
That's a crazy low score.

I played a round at Sundre a few years ago and between four of us we birdied 15 of 18 holes. So it's not unheard of to play that well as a foursome if everyone's really good & playing aggressively. A bit of luck & you could shoot low 50's for sure.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #2102
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I played Black Mountain in Kelowna on Saturday. Nice track there and $75 for golf and cart plus $10 for the snack shack was a great deal!
Played there twice. Nice track with a good variety of holes. Yes, if you can play week days, the price is hard to be in Kelowna.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #2103
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I thought it was way better than tower ranch. Maybe a couple gimmicky holes but nothing that bad.
I'm confused.Black Mountain better than Tower Ranch?
How do we set up a poll on this forum?
Granted,#15 at Tower is stupid because the green won't hold a ball,but the rest of the course is pretty solid.
Black Mountain was designed to punish the rh slicer.A large % of the golfing population.And the back nine gets into hardhat territory.
Neither has a range,so they both fail in that regard.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #2104
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Kelowna. I find the golf overpriced for what it is. I enjoy playing in Osoyoos/Oliver a lot more than Kelowna. If it was just a golf weekend, I wouldn't head past Radium/Invermere. The only reason I prefer Osoyoos is there is more stuff to keep the wife happy.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #2105
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Played there twice. Nice track with a good variety of holes. Yes, if you can play week days, the price is hard to be in Kelowna.
Even saturday morning before 8 am (which is really the only time I can play when I am out there with my wife) it is quite cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
I'm confused.Black Mountain better than Tower Ranch?
How do we set up a poll on this forum?
Granted,#15 at Tower is stupid because the green won't hold a ball,but the rest of the course is pretty solid.
Black Mountain was designed to punish the rh slicer.A large % of the golfing population.And the back nine gets into hardhat territory.
Neither has a range,so they both fail in that regard.
Tower is just straight gimmick from my recollection. Reminds me of Silvertip. I won't go back to either.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #2106
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
^^^ that can't be real.
That was our reaction as well. There are pin positions on greens where you just know a par is going to be a score to make, and there were three of those out there. We figured 56 was going to be the score, maybe a 55 is someone got lucky here or there. But 51 had us shaking our heads. After working in the biz for a few years and seeing a lot of scramble scores, including some real low ones with pros involved, that 51 was still shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
That's a crazy low score.

I played a round at Sundre a few years ago and between four of us we birdied 15 of 18 holes. So it's not unheard of to play that well as a foursome if everyone's really good & playing aggressively. A bit of luck & you could shoot low 50's for sure.
Lowest score I've seen myself was a 53 on a par 70 course. I've been part of a 54 on a par 72, but that was four pros playing their home course, so that was an extreme and highly unfair. A 51 will be a score I put in the memory banks for a while, especially when I go back to that course and play it again. If the score was honest, it was one for the ages. I will assume that is a course record that will never fall.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #2107
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is there any particular reason why Heather Glen's cart prices seem so out of whack compared to most courses?

I just went to check today as green fees are 50% off minus cart and saw that 18 hole cart is $36?!! I mean it's not even close to in line with other play golf Calgary courses (same owners, usually around $20).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #2108
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is there any particular reason why Heather Glen's cart prices seem so out of whack compared to most courses?

I just went to check today as green fees are 50% off minus cart and saw that 18 hole cart is $36?!! I mean it's not even close to in line with other play golf Calgary courses (same owners, usually around $20).
That's gotta be for a whole cart - you'd pay $18 for a seat.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #2109
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked at thier green fee prices and they seem very reasonable. I read the price for the cart as for the whole cart, rather than a seat.

HG is walkable, although it is on the longer side, if you have never been
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #2110
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I've been and paid many times, lol. I guess I just never actually paid attention or looked up cart prices. Is it common to list cart prices as whole cart? I've look up many other courses and it seems common to list per person cart.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #2111
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I was in Calgary on Monday and stopped off at Golftown on the way home. They had a 20% off sale on golf bags so I decided to take a look. To my surprise I found a Calgary Flames golf bag for a really good price. I said what the heck and decided to buy it.

https://imgur.com/l9lsOq8

So tonight was Mens Night and I had a surprise for my golf pro who loves the Oilers

He walks into the pro shop:

"Hey Christopher! I see you bought a new golf bag!"

"What do you think?" I said with a huge grin

"You should have burned your money instead of buying that piece of crap!"

Anyhow we had a good laugh over that. Best part is we played together and he had to look at it for 9 holes
Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #2112
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody play Kananaskis yet this year, specifically Lorette? Got a time there this weekend, was wondering how the turf conditions were. Called the course to ask, and they said course is in “awesome” condition and that their green speeds are “fast”, but not sure I can believe them. I recall even at peak season last year, their greens were never “fast”, can’t imagine they’d be fast in the early season. All I ask is the greens roll true, regardless of speed. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Morning Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #2113
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
Anybody play Kananaskis yet this year, specifically Lorette? Got a time there this weekend, was wondering how the turf conditions were. Called the course to ask, and they said course is in “awesome” condition and that their green speeds are “fast”, but not sure I can believe them. I recall even at peak season last year, their greens were never “fast”, can’t imagine they’d be fast in the early season. All I ask is the greens roll true, regardless of speed. Any feedback would be appreciated!
I played Kidd a couple weeks ago. Course weathered well over the winter. Would say it was in decent shape. Greens were alright.

Wasn't worth the full price of $125 ish I didn't think - not that early in the season.

Unless your time is on Sunday you are out $25/booking spot already anyway so I would go.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-22-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #2114
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I played Kidd a couple weeks ago. Course weathered well over the winter. Would say it was in decent shape. Greens were alright.

Wasn't worth the full price of $125 ish I didn't think - not that early in the season.

Unless your time is on Sunday you are out $25/booking spot already anyway so I would go.
Thanks for the info. Yes, my tee time is on Sunday. About to make the last second decision to cancel or not. They said the green fee will be $95+tax for Alberta residents, along with $20+tax cart fee per person. Pretty hefty price to pay, have a few more hours to mull over it.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #2115
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

How is that a hefty price to play that amazing course? What course is even comparable for around $100?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #2116
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're batting an eye at Kananaskis for $120 then golf isn't the sport for you. One of the best values around!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #2117
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me the immediate comparables are in canmore and they are what $180 or so?

from a layout perspective i have always thought that kaninaskis and golden were similar courses. golden is a great value, but, hard to manage as a day trip
Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #2118
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
How is that a hefty price to play that amazing course? What course is even comparable for around $100?
I totally agree when comparing to other courses, it’s not even close! My comparison was to peak summer conditions vs early year conditions, since there is no discount to summer rates.

Last year, Kananaskis had some discounted rates early in the year, but they either don’t have them this year or I missed out on them earlier in the year.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #2119
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Kananaskis isn't in top shape I would rather pay the money and golf there than not.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #2120
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Early season rates at Stewart Creek and SilverTip are $135, for the comparable mountain courses. At $120 Kananaskis has a season-long discounted rate. The fact a walker could play the course on a weekend during peak season for less than $100 is absolutely insane.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow