Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #41
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
From what I understand Mexico doesnt offer 'all-inclusive' options. No such thing.
Huh? There are lots of all-inclusives in Mexico.

I stayed at the Grand Porto Real in Playa del Carmen a few years back, because I got a good deal. I've looked up that resort a few times since, because I loved the location (right in PdC, beach out one side, 5th Ave out the other) and it has always been way more expensive.

I only went for all-inclusive because the price was good. I ate about half my meals at the resort and half went to other restaurants around town. There are lots of restaurants and bars in that area, so I would say only do all-inclusive if you can get a decent enough price that you don't mind spending money at other places as well. I would be disappointed if I had all my meals / drinks only at the resort.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #42
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Long time bump!

Having no experience ever with all inclusive deals, wondering if anything new or better has come along that someone cares to share.

We are looking to go for 10 days in mid-april and she is somewhat set on the mayan Riviera area. Though that is not set in stone.

Any and all info would be appreciated.
I posted my resort recommendation already. For things to do and see, Tulum is an interesting ruin site right on the beach but it is BUSY. If you go, go early in the day. Coba is the really cool place. It's in the jungle and not nearly as busy. When I was there, you could still climb the pyramids (don't think that's changed, but not 100%) which is something you can't do at most other sites.

Also, my friend has a cave diving business, so if you're interested in that, I will ask her the name / website.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #43
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went to the Mayan a few years ago - it was ok and better than not going to Mexico, but I thought the beach and water at cancun were much better, plus since you were in can can, you had access to some off resort restaurants, and some things to do at night - ie go walk around that outdoor mall.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #44
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I second Huatulco - a bit more 'off the beaten path' - not as touristy, but still amazing resorts.

If you're looking at the Mayan area, I'd suggest staying near Akumal (best beaches) or Tulum (lots of things to do). Not that the other areas don't have nice beaches or things to do, these are just my top rankings for them. If you're looking for nightlife and beaches, go for Cancun (or Playa Del Carmen). If you're looking for adults only, there are some fantastic resorts near Akumal that are quite low key and relaxed...

I like the Kore Wellness Retreat (for adults only - very small and intimate), the Akumal Bay Beach Resort (beautiful resort with awesome beach), Gran Porto Resort (in Cancun) or any of the Now Resorts (Jade or Sapphire).

I am a travel agent so if you have any questions, let me know.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #45
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya last september. Upgraded to the Emerald suite there but wouldn't have done it again. It was nice where you have a giant Jacuzzi suite but we didn't really use it much since the pool was so awesome.

The food there was fantastic. Probably some of the best I have ever had. Also no kids, so if you're on a honeymoon that's probably a nice benefit. Beaches however were kinda meh. I'd recommend going there though it did seem to be for older couples.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #46
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

If it's in your price range the Grand Velas in Puerto Vallarta or the Mayan Riviera should warrant a look.

We haven't been to the Mayan one but the one in Puerto is the best AI we've been to by a wide margin.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I always enjoy the welcome speech where they explain they got sick from the water when they visited Toronto last year.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #48
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for the Valentin Imperial Maya. Went in July and it was awesome. Great food and top shelf liquor.

Also have been to Now Jade and really enjoyed it, but that was 4 years ago.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #49
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For things to do and see, Tulum is an interesting ruin site right on the beach but it is BUSY. If you go, go early in the day. Coba is the really cool place. It's in the jungle and not nearly as busy. When I was there, you could still climb the pyramids (don't think that's changed, but not 100%) which is something you can't do at most other sites.
I was there in December, when we climbed the big pyramid there (Nohoch Mul), our guide told us as of January 1st, the public would never be able to climb it again due to erosion. Didn't realize how close I came to missing it as I had been putting that off for years, woulda been so bitter if I missed it by mere weeks. But anyway, agreed Coba was my favourite. We also did Chichen Itza and Tulum which was cool, but Coba had an Indiana Jones vibe since it's only partially excavated, and thus buried in the jungle with vines growing on the ruins & whatnot.

We stayed at the Catalonia Royal Tulum on the Maya, which is another adults only resort I'd recommend (if you're looking to spend under $2000 anyway). It was between that or the Valentin which I had heard good things about as well, but it was about $400 more.

The Valentin sounds like the beach is amazing (from what I read), it just sounded a little swanky for us (rigorous upper scale dress codes in the restaurants I read, didn't feel like packing both beach vakay clothes and dress clothes/shoes). Plus I struggle with insomnia and I had read a few reviews that said it can be quite a loud, party resort and some had trouble sleeping due to it, depending where your room was. The Catalonia was a lot smaller and quieter which I liked, Valentin does sound like the better one overall though.

There's a ton of resorts on that strip that I'm sure would suffice. Ours seemed to be one of the smaller ones, which I liked. But it's all subjective. If you did stay at that one, I'd suggest doing the upgrade just for access to the beach restaurant/bar alone, and restricted part of the beach.

PS- I'd recommend taking Collectivos (basically a shuttle bus/taxi) to get somewhere close like Tulum, it'll cost you a fraction of what a cab would, and they're everywhere. Just goes up and down the highway, so don't worry about getting lost in some neighborhood or something like that. Most resorts have a Collectivo stop right in front of the resort.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #50
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to the Riu Jalisco in PV next week with my parents, they go there twice a year so I decided to join them to see what they love about it so much...and to get some relaxing down time. Has anyone stayed there?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #51
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Just got back from Mayan Riviera. I didn't care for that side at all. Some OK shopping in Playa del Carmen I guess, but you have to wade through the barrage of shops trying to sell you garbage. Cancun is Vegas on the water which is alright if you're into that kind of thing.

I went to Cabo last year and stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica adults only resort, and I REALLY liked it. Top notch service and an amazing facility. Being the "crown jewel" of their resorts, you also get access to all their other resorts, including their top shelf liquor. I would go there again over any other place in Mexico I have gone.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #52
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably just depends what you're looking for. Only 2 places I've been in Mexico is Cabo and the Mayan, and I much preferred the Mayan. But I'm a big history/culture nerd and had never seen Mayan ruins, so hence why I leaned that way.

I just found Cabo too Americanized, driving through the town, I almost felt like I was in California or something. But again, it's all about what kind of vacation you're looking for. If you're just looking to chill on the resort and also do some shopping, I can see why that area would be a good fit. You're right, they do hock a lot of cheap stuff on the Mayan, especially if you're not into Mayan artifacts.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #53
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cabo is very Amercanized. Although nice, you never think you are actually in Mexico.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #54
Knut

Exp:

The other nice thing about Cabo is that it is no where near the humidity of the rest of Mexico resort areas. Which is great. The heat + humidity in Puerto Vallarta can be stifling.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #55
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I'm going to the Riu Jalisco in PV next week with my parents, they go there twice a year so I decided to join them to see what they love about it so much...and to get some relaxing down time. Has anyone stayed there?
I have. It's nice. Not super fancy, but better than average. It's huge though. Lots and lots of people. I thought the beach was nice - you can walk forever, but the water can be choppy.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FFR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Huh? There are lots of all-inclusives in Mexico.

I stayed at the Grand Porto Real in Playa del Carmen a few years back, because I got a good deal. I've looked up that resort a few times since, because I loved the location (right in PdC, beach out one side, 5th Ave out the other) and it has always been way more expensive.

I only went for all-inclusive because the price was good. I ate about half my meals at the resort and half went to other restaurants around town. There are lots of restaurants and bars in that area, so I would say only do all-inclusive if you can get a decent enough price that you don't mind spending money at other places as well. I would be disappointed if I had all my meals / drinks only at the resort.
I was being very sarcastic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #57
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked the Mayan much more than Cabo. For one thing, you can actually actually swim in the ocean and walk on the sand.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I liked the Mayan much more than Cabo. For one thing, you can actually actually swim in the ocean and walk on the sand.
Agreed, unless you can get to Santa Maria Beach.

Beautiful place, at least when we went.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #59
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach and her twin (forget the name) on separate trips. Just an excellent 4 starish resort - not top of the line but really solid. Big property but spread out - never felt crowded.

Was around $8000 for 4 all inclusive including flights and transfers. Not the cheapest but worth the money in our experience.
Yeah, I recently stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (same complex as Beach).

Was really excellent, especially if you have children. Tons of things for them. The beach/water was also really superb and the food overall was very good. Massive and multiple pools. Would repeat.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #60
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We've been to numerous all-inclusive resorts all over Mexico and the Dominican. Past few years we've switched exclusively to Cabo. Higher end, next to no humidity, quicker flight, better food, and it just feels way safer to me. I'll go out and walk around in town (San Jose or Cabo San Lucas) at any time of the day or night. A lot of other places i'm less relaxed about doing so.

Always had a great time in the Mayan Riviera, but about 4-5 years ago I started to notice a lot more decline in the upkeep of the resorts and started to hear about a lot of sketchy activity there, and have seen some of it myself first hand. Cardel activity and general corruption also seem to have increased a bit just a pure sniff test (could be wrong). Would still probably go there if a group of friends were going, but if I'm picking for myself i'm hitting Cabo 9 times out of 10. You can swim in the water in Cabo depending upon where you stay. Not a real concern for me as I'm fine with a nice infinity pool that overlooks the ocean.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-22-2016 at 04:52 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-inclusive , honeymoon , mexico