Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #1601
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
People store gold, consider what it takes to get gold out of the ground then it is placed in a vault, buried in a yard, or made into a toilet
OK, that doesn't change the fact that Bitcoin can't possibly replace the global banking system based on energy consumption, or that any comparison in regards to that would make any sense, because Bitcoin only covers a small portion of what banks do. And as I've shown, it's incredibly inefficient at processing transactions(by design, I might point out). Not only in power consumption, but also cost and speed.

If you want to argue the pointlessness of mining gold for the sole purpose of storing value(beyond it's value as an industrial metal and jewelry) and how that relates to the cost of mining a bitcoin, well that's an argument that you could make and would actually make sense. You can show the math on that one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #1602
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
OK, that doesn't change the fact that Bitcoin can't possibly replace the global banking system based on energy consumption, or that any comparison in regards to that would make any sense, because Bitcoin only covers a small portion of what banks do. And as I've shown, it's incredibly inefficient at processing transactions(by design, I might point out). Not only in power consumption, but also cost and speed.

If you want to argue the pointlessness of mining gold for the sole purpose of storing value(beyond it's value as an industrial metal and jewelry) and how that relates to the cost of mining a bitcoin, well that's an argument that you could make and would actually make sense. You can show the math on that one.
what is the point of gold jewelry? showing off your wealth?

My argument makes sense because its stupid to pick one thing and say "hey this uses more energy than such and such a city"

You could do that with almost anything. Crypto changes and evolves, that is kinda the point. It needs to and will get greener. Gold mining? not so much.

The argument is don't be a hypocrite.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #1603
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
...because you can't use Bitcoin to manage your mortgage, or loan you money.
It can and will do so much more than that. Look into decentralized finance (DeFi) and asset tokenization, I think you'll be impressed. Inside magazine published a good article on it written be staff from Deloitte, my pdf of it says issue 19, I'm not sure when it was published, but it does a good analysis of the challenges ahead for blockchain tech to be the major multi-sector disruptive force that so many people think it will be.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #1604
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was referring to Bitcoin, not any other crypto or blockchain.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #1605
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My argument makes sense because its stupid to pick one thing and say "hey this uses more energy than such and such a city"

You could do that with almost anything. Crypto changes and evolves, that is kinda the point. It needs to and will get greener. Gold mining? not so much.

Do you have a reference for your comparison that Bitcoin uses less energy than gold used to store value?

That seems like a reasonable comparison to compare the KW/$ spent on the Minimg, storage and transfer of gold used for no purpose other than storage of value vs Bitcoin.

Edit: this article suggests that 127 TWH of electricity are used for Bitcoin vs 137 TWH for gold yet the market capitalization of gold is 10x that of Bitcoin. Ignoring other gold uses that suggests that per dollar of value stored Bitcoin is 10 times less efficient.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forb...hos-right/amp/

And banking which essentially processes the rest of the worlds GDP is 140 TWH. So in terms of KW/$ Bitcoin is not close

Also gold mining will get more energy efficient overtime or the cost of gold will go up increasing market cap and decreasing KW/$ of stores value.

Last edited by GGG; 06-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #1606
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gold is only used in jewelry? Take a look at your video card or any electronic device.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #1607
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was surprised its other usages was so high actually. I'm assuming that's for newly mined gold as Indian families alone account for something like 15% of gold with their jewelry.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #1608
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Gold is only used in jewelry? Take a look at your video card or any electronic device.
Who said that?
Old 06-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #1609
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

I was surprised its other usages was so high actually. I'm assuming that's for newly mined gold as Indian families alone account for something like 15% of gold with their jewelry.
So half of all gold is used for vanity
Old 06-18-2021, 11:10 PM   #1610
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So half of all gold is used for vanity
so Solomon was wrong?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #1611
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, its important to realise Bitcoin requires all the energy for mining....and then on top of that in order to be useful also requires a full banking infrastructure with all of the energy requirements of our regular banking system, bitcoin cannot replaces banks, it needs them even more than gold or cash.

Bitcoin isnt competing with banks, its competing with cash, bitcoin cant give you a mortgage or hold on to your RRSP, you might use bitcoin one day to pay your mortgage but bitcoin does absolutely nothing to replace the banking system.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #1612
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who said that?

What were you implying then?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:39 PM   #1613
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, its important to realise Bitcoin requires all the energy for mining....and then on top of that in order to be useful also requires a full banking infrastructure with all of the energy requirements of our regular banking system, bitcoin cannot replaces banks, it needs them even more than gold or cash.

Bitcoin isnt competing with banks, its competing with cash, bitcoin cant give you a mortgage or hold on to your RRSP, you might use bitcoin one day to pay your mortgage but bitcoin does absolutely nothing to replace the banking system.
Its certainly competing with gold as a store of value

BTC must be above 40k when the argument moves from I told you so its going to crash to zero to "but the environment"

Last edited by dino7c; 06-18-2021 at 11:45 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #1614
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was replying to a comment that mentioned Jewelry as a practical use of gold...electronics I will give you. I am not against gold, just pointing out how hypocritical it is to pretend the environment is why you don't like crypto.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #1615
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its certainly competing with gold as a store of value

BTC must be above 40k when the argument moves from I told you so its going to crash to zero to "but the environment"
I have no idea whether the environment ends up being a problem for bitcoin, I was just pointing out how farcical it is to argue that you can compare bitcoins energy use with regular banking as if it could replace banks, bitcoin is the most banking system reliant store of value that we have ever seen, I can take a gold ring into the upper reaches of the Amazon a thousand miles from the nearest phone or internet connection and swap them with a complete stranger for a hotel room, a bottle of hooch and a hooker, that is why people buy Gold jewelry, get gold fillings in their teeth even, in a pinch you can trade it.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #1616
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was replying to a comment that mentioned Jewelry as a practical use of gold...electronics I will give you. I am not against gold, just pointing out how hypocritical it is to pretend the environment is why you don't like crypto.
Is the argument it’s bad for the environment so it should be banned or is it Bitcoin won’t scale because of energy consumption and therefore transaction cost and that creates a limited max value and makes substitution more likely.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #1617
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even sure what the argument is for Bitcoin. It's a useless gold hedge that doesn't even perform any kind of basic function other than Proof of Concept, which it fulfilled as a purpose 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #1618
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Entirely out of curiosity, does anyone know what the approximate breakeven value is of BTC for mining operations? Are they still making money @ $30k BTC?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #1619
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bitcoin to a million and on power run by a couple hamster wheels.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #1620
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Entirely out of curiosity, does anyone know what the approximate breakeven value is of BTC for mining operations? Are they still making money @ $30k BTC?
Isn’t it self adjusting in difficulty based on combined hash rate of all miners? Essentially the most energy efficient miners will always be profitable. What changes is the energy consumption of the marginal miner.

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum