Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL 11 & NHL Slapshot Info Thread *In Stores Sept 7th*

Here's a first look screenshot to NHL 11. All-New Real-Time Physics Engine.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=333387460995

Today and tomorrow are the NHL 11 Community Days and the beginning of the information season before the game comes out. So be sure to keep tabs on on the official NHL Facebook and Twitter page for more exclusive information such as the screen above.

In the meantime, here's a blog posted a few weeks back on what has been fixed from NHL 10 to 11.

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthec...sed-for-nhl-11

Last edited by Joborule; 08-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is WhatsHerName attending again?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
No.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

cool they put in broken sticks. obviously a bonus with how much they occur in real life. i think they did a good job with the fall to your knees and try to score feature last year, so if its something that is worked in like that, i think it will be successful. just hate to see it overused.

hopefully the checking engine will be awesome. obviously some videos will be needed to really assess how improved that will be. they alluded to it a bit in that bug fix post, but i think they need to work hard on making it so set animations don't have to occur in sequence... being able to push the puck ahead as you get hit, or passing as you fall down, stuff like that. this year, if you get hit while shooting, you always score because the goalie tries to save the puck where it would go if you hadn't been hit. the animations would show shot and then hit, but you could tell that wasn't how the game processed them.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Like I have been mentioning for years, why don't they work on a Euphoria type engine for the hitting in the game. Instead of the same 3-4 animations for hits every time, they should incorporate a system which uses REAL PHYSICS. From what I am reading, they are doing that this year, right? Or they are doing it better than what they were at least.

Hopefully the new Physics they are using are like GTA IV, where it incorporates what would actually happen (the Euphoria engine).
Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun story. When the Madden developers started development for the next gen systems, they were implementing a similar engine to Euphoria called Havok. The developers like the idea of real-time collision engine, especially for a football game where it would be very effective. However during development time they we're running into tons of issues in trying to make the collision look realistic and the players move realistic, before, during, and after collisions. It turned out to be quite a difficult task that they didn't have the time and resource for, so they scrap the development and continue on with the triggered animation system.

Backbreaker is now finally coming out after so many years in development. And even then it's missing key essential football features such as fatigue and injuries. So trying to implementing something like this into a sports game is quite a dunanting task. Especially football where there are 22 players on the field running into each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Fun story. When the Madden developers started development for the next gen systems, they were implementing a similar engine to Euphoria called Havok. The developers like the idea of real-time collision engine, especially for a football game where it would be very effective. However during development time they we're running into tons of issues in trying to make the collision look realistic and the players move realistic, before, during, and after collisions. It turned out to be quite a difficult task that they didn't have the time and resource for, so they scrap the development and continue on with the triggered animation system.

Backbreaker is now finally coming out after so many years in development. And even then it's missing key essential football features such as fatigue and injuries. So trying to implementing something like this into a sports game is quite a dunanting task. Especially football where there are 22 players on the field running into each other.
I know, but why not work on it? It couldn't hurt to actually have innovative gameplay. They release a new one every year, why don't they just work on a "Havok" engine and put it in a game, even though it may not be ready until NHL 2014.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I know, but why not work on it? It couldn't hurt to actually have innovative gameplay. They release a new one every year, why don't they just work on a "Havok" engine and put it in a game, even though it may not be ready until NHL 2014.
I only know as far as what I've said. But they may be doing what you said already since they like to build and work on technology in house to share across their games.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I only know as far as what I've said. But they may be doing what you said already since they like to build and work on technology in house to share across their games.
Are you going to Van-city this year again during the community days thing?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you going to Van-city this year again during the community days thing?
Seeing as how it's ongoing right now. That would be a no.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like the chicago defenseman is bending over for a kick in the arse
Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
hkstylez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

can't wait to get the game.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

My "special move" will be more amazing than ever next year!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Seeing as how it's ongoing right now. That would be a no.
You still get inside info though?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Quote:
No.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

They really need to fix the passing. Manual passing is a joke because of how much time it takes to load up a decent pass, and assisted passing sucks because it consistently sends the pass to the wrong player. FIFA 10 has one of the better passing engines I've ever seen. Maybe the NHL group should ask them for help.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

All I really care about this year is online GM mode. They could repackage 2010 with this feature and I'd gladly give them every damn penny they want. I really like 2010 ... despite the complaints of many, I've found the sliders work well enough that I can dial in the type of gameplay I like. Took me a long ass time to get it right, but I've found a great balance.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You still get inside info though?
But of course. Not to the degree of last year of knowing everything before release, but still have info I can't share yet.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I want is a much more in-depth GM mode that goes longer than 25 years.

ESPN 2K7 went to like the year 2300!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #20
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CHL was officially announced today (which clearly was a badly kept secret) and it will feature the new RBK Edge jerseys, Mastercard Memorial Cup, and players name and likeness for authenticity. It will be tied into Be A Pro, Be A GM, Tournament Mode, Season Mode and Playoff Mode.

Last edited by Joborule; 05-21-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
chl , ea sports , nhl 11 , video game