Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Death is one of my favorite bands..
Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #42
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

death were awesome but sabbath is tops for me. just can't be beat.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #43
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Not sure they are new. The singer is new it seems but they put an album out in 2001 with a male singer.

Another female vocalist you will not believe is female from just listening fronts Arch Enemy. A band started by the ex-Carcass guitarist Michael Arnott and his brother. Replaced their first vocalist with Angela Gassow in 2001...and they are better for it.
i've listened to a bit of Arch Enemy but i prefer my vocals to be mostly cleanly sung, or at least decipherable. that's why i generally avoid most bands in the death/black/core range
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #44
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

a lot of death/doom/black bands have really decipherable lyrics - some singers just take a bit of getting used to their style. angela (arch enemy) i find to be one of the easiest to understand. but that's just me, everyone's ear is different.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #45
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Finntroll - Trollhammaren

Finntroll is a folk metal band from Finland. They combine black metal and Finnish polka, called humppa. Although it is a Finnish band, Finntroll's lyrics are in Swedish, because Swedish just sounds "damn trollish"
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #46
Coelah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
death were awesome but sabbath is tops for me. just can't be beat.
I agree. Sabbath rules them all.

That being said, alot of good bands listed here. Going back to the first post, Place Of Skulls is a really good band. Melvins, yeah, how can anyone not like the Melvins?

Others listed like Ayreon, Devin Townsend, Maiden all deserve a buy.

Some others that are really good..Black Label Society - Zakk Wyldes band.

Buckethead - though not catergorically metal, hard music with a twisted bent.

Some stoner bands like Electric Wizard, Fu Manchu,Saint Vitus, Masters Of Reality and the grandaddy of them all Kyuss, should be picked up if you are into Sabbath.

Or go old school with Suicidal Tendencies.
Coelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #47
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelah View Post
I agree. Sabbath rules them all.

That being said, alot of good bands listed here. Going back to the first post, Place Of Skulls is a really good band. Melvins, yeah, how can anyone not like the Melvins?

Others listed like Ayreon, Devin Townsend, Maiden all deserve a buy.

Some others that are really good..Black Label Society - Zakk Wyldes band.

Buckethead - though not catergorically metal, hard music with a twisted bent.

Some stoner bands like Electric Wizard, Fu Manchu,Saint Vitus, Masters Of Reality and the grandaddy of them all Kyuss, should be picked up if you are into Sabbath.

Or go old school with Suicidal Tendencies.
The new Melvins album (Senile Animal) is great. If you like Melvins, Boris might also be worth checking out. Since we're talking aboot stoner rock may I recomend some bands. Dozer is one of my favourite bands right now, I highly recomend them. If you like fuzzed out guitars then you should check out Truckfighters. Atomic Bitchwax is another good band. We need a stoner rock thread.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #48
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great find Hemi Cuda, that singer has an amazing voice. Thumbs up.

One great band with a great female vocalist (Liv Kristine - ex Theatre of Tragedy) is Leave's Eyes. Definitely worth checking out.

Some other (all female lead singer):

Ashes You Leave
Edenbridge (soft, but the girl can sing - kind of like Nightwish)
The Gathering (a classic, on of the best bands IMO)
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #49
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook View Post

Finntroll - Trollhammaren

Finntroll is a folk metal band from Finland. They combine black metal and Finnish polka, called humppa. Although it is a Finnish band, Finntroll's lyrics are in Swedish, because Swedish just sounds "damn trollish"
Love the Finntroll!
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #50
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

awww jeez - i love finntroll but i've never seen one of their videos.... that was epic.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #51
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone heard of a group called "Nightwish"? I love their song Nemo!

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #52
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
seems like we have a few people here into heavier music, figured a thread to talk about new releases and maybe share new finds would be nice. i was planning to put single song samples of groups on a place like yousendit.com, but wasn't sure how the mods would like that so for now i'll just stick to official samples from the band sites. here are a few bands that i've recently gotten into

Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames

Power/Prog metal, clean sung vocals and VERY fast guitar work, this is the lead single from their new album Inhuman Rampage. fans of classic metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or progressive acts like Dream Theater might want to check these guys out
I love the song "My Spirit Will Go On"...the solo is awesome! I think it's on the other album though, the one called "Sonic Firestorm". It's definately worth listening to. I dont listen to metal much, but this song rules!

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You know what? I'm a little disappointed in Metal. It's too cerebral these days. It's either a pumped up, harder version of prog rock, or just angry screaming, or gothic octaves.

Part of me wants...the glam back in metal. Where are the 80s tribute bands? Where's the synthesizers and metal power ballads? Where's the cheese and melodrama element?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:51 AM   #54
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You know what? I'm a little disappointed in Metal. It's too cerebral these days. It's either a pumped up, harder version of prog rock, or just angry screaming, or gothic octaves.

Part of me wants...the glam back in metal. Where are the 80s tribute bands? Where's the synthesizers and metal power ballads? Where's the cheese and melodrama element?
these types of bands are hogging it all:
rhapsody (of fire)
blind guardian
nightwish
demons & wizards
hammerfall
iced earth
and the list goes on and on and on. its out there if you know where to look.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #55
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

oh yea - figured i'd post it here cause i'm not sure how many people know about this already but METAL CHURCH are coming to town.

just thought i'd give y'all a heads up if you haven't heard the news before. if you don't know who they are or don't like them.... leave this thread. now!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 AM   #56
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal. you don't get much more cheesier or melodramatic than this

oh and power metal happens to be one of my forte's (not nearly this cheesy though). if you're looking for that classic metal sound i have tons of stuff i could share
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #57
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersBaby View Post
Anyone heard of a group called "Nightwish"? I love their song Nemo!
Heard? You make it sound like they are some kinf of an obsolete band. I would say Nightwish is the biggest mainstream melodic power metal right now, and it has been for a while.

Check out Dark chest of wonders, End of all hope or Dead gardens. All awesome songs.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #58
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Funny how things got to nightwish just when i was abouty to recommend one of the greatest finnish band ever. Tarot. Marco Hietala who is their singer is also Nightwish's bassist nowadays. He was also considered in iron maiden after bruce. it is being said that he made to the top 3

Wings of darkness

Also from finland comes the highly touted Insomnium. I don't like that kind of music where the singer just growls something. But since one of my friends cousin plays drums in that band i have to mention that.

ANd of course there is Children of bodom, HIM, apocalyptica and so on but i assume you know all those bands from Finland.

And if tyou want to learn finnish, here is a comical Manowar clone:

Teräsbetoni - taivas lyö tulta

A hard rock band from my home town, one of the biggest bands in Finland:
The video is actually fimed in my home town and it describes the usual way we spend our weekends, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THIS....

Kotiteollisuus - Rakastaa, ei rakasta

And one more, the best finnish band in my opinion, also in finnish, also from Lappeenranta:

This is heavy....

Last edited by Kipru; 05-24-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Kipru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #59
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
Heard? You make it sound like they are some kinf of an obsolete band. I would say Nightwish is the biggest mainstream melodic power metal right now, and it has been for a while.

Check out Dark chest of wonders, End of all hope or Dead gardens. All awesome songs.
they were - not are any more.
post-tarja they are nothing.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #60
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, just seeing this now!

I LOVE this song by Nonpoint. I don't really like their other stuff but this song rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2SnjyQoEg
MJK is online now   Reply With Quote