Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Maybe the answer is hemp. Plastic bottles that are fully bio-degradable, in fact why not start using hemp for all kinds of stuff?

https://hempplastic.com/
Hemp bottle: "I don't feel so good Mr Stark"
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I think i must be way under utilizing my green bin, if pizza boxes are good, then can all cardboard go in there? How about paper? What else am i missing?

I'm constantly at max on the blue and 5% on the green, would love to shift that around.
Yes, throw all your paper and cardboard in there. Throw your paper coffee cups in there. The wax will decompose. Newspapers. They should also accept anything made with cotton but they don't.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. What drives me crazy is Styrofoam. Why am I throwing this in the Black Bin? Its enormous, the bin only gets collected every other week and why are we not recycling Styrofoam?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ugh. What drives me crazy is Styrofoam. Why am I throwing this in the Black Bin? Its enormous, the bin only gets collected every other week and why are we not recycling Styrofoam?
Because no one wants it.

Don't some Scandinavian countries burn their garbage for power? We should do that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Can Alberta start being paid to accept all of the rest of Canada's recyclables, and maybe some of the US's, and use some of the oilsands lands to create giant processing facilities and landfills? Seems the science would be lucrative.
Most ‘oil sands land’ is subsurface. Wellpads surrounded by trees.

When the companies with surface mines complete cleaning the oil out of the sand, there is reclamation.

Here is an article from last year that shows how Syncrude has reclaimed the land of a mine and has a thriving bison herd which has grown from 30 to 300

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ease-1.4538030
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but the bison are mutated.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because no one wants it.

Don't some Scandinavian countries burn their garbage for power? We should do that.
But power is The Devil.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
They should also accept anything made with cotton but they don't.
That drives me up the bloody wall.

Cotton? No. Oh, and in the meantime you can't install a garbage disposal because we're worried about the amount of water they use, but we don't care how many times you run crap through the dishwasher to clean it for recycling.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #29
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
That drives me up the bloody wall.

Cotton? No. Oh, and in the meantime you can't install a garbage disposal because we're worried about the amount of water they use, but we don't care how many times you run crap through the dishwasher to clean it for recycling.
Are you saying you run your recyclables through the dishwasher first? Do other people do this? Am I supposed to do this?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #30
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yes, throw all your paper and cardboard in there. Throw your paper coffee cups in there. The wax will decompose. Newspapers. They should also accept anything made with cotton but they don't.
I don’t have a source but I don’t believe that we have enough green plant matter to compost al of the paper and cardboard waste. So while some of these Cotton and Paper streams are acceptable I think they can’t take 100%

The other question is time, I don’t believe the wax coffee cups fit into the compost programs lifecycle so you would continually accumulate more and more. Not sure on this though
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Cochrane apparently does.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #32
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because no one wants it.

Edmonton does.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #33
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Cochrane apparently does.
Not in our blue bins we don't.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #34
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not in our blue bins we don't.
No, but there is a drop off IIRC. Or has that stopped now?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Are you saying you run your recyclables through the dishwasher first? Do other people do this? Am I supposed to do this?
I absolutely do not. However given the fact that anything evem remotely contaminated is not acceptable for recycling, if people actually cared about recycling, they probably should run it through the dishwasher first, or at least spend copious amounts of water cleaning everything.

Frankly I don't care. Burn it. Bury it. Move it to Saskatoon and make a ski hill out of it. Makes more sense and it's cheaper.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t have a source but I don’t believe that we have enough green plant matter to compost al of the paper and cardboard waste. So while some of these Cotton and Paper streams are acceptable I think they can’t take 100%

The other question is time, I don’t believe the wax coffee cups fit into the compost programs lifecycle so you would continually accumulate more and more. Not sure on this though
I'm sure the city would prefer you stuff all your paper into the blue bin, and I'm sure they get plenty of "green" - all the stuff from the sewage treatment plants gets composted as well (and has been for decades now).
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
No, but there is a drop off IIRC. Or has that stopped now?
There is. I assumed you meant in the bins, because I assume there's somewhere in Calgary to drop off Styrofoam as well. The conversation was blue bin related I thought.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I absolutely do not. However given the fact that anything evem remotely contaminated is not acceptable for recycling, if people actually cared about recycling, they probably should run it through the dishwasher first, or at least spend copious amounts of water cleaning everything.

Frankly I don't care. Burn it. Bury it. Move it to Saskatoon and make a ski hill out of it. Makes more sense and it's cheaper.
This is not accurate. Recycling is a very broad term and has many subcategories. Many recycling operations require a threshold of recyclable material and it doesn't need to be 100%. For example, if you have 1 ton of paper, and 5% of that ton is other material such as plastic or wax, the entire lot is still recyclable.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #39
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just wash my recyclables with the hand washed dishes. Then throw them in our blue bag because Edmonton doesn't currently require gigantic bins at every house.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #40
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This is not accurate. Recycling is a very broad term and has many subcategories. Many recycling operations require a threshold of recyclable material and it doesn't need to be 100%. For example, if you have 1 ton of paper, and 5% of that ton is other material such as plastic or wax, the entire lot is still recyclable.
Literally, from the OP's article:

Quote:
Though two years ago this might have been fine, food waste is now a major problem and can contaminate otherwise perfectly good recyclables. Wash out your jars and bottles before recycling.
The accompanying picture is a jar with salsa residue.

I'm discussing jars, cans, containers. etc. Not plastic particulates in paper.

If they have a 5% threshold, I'll stand corrected, but from what I see from that article, that's not the case.