Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Professional sports bettor sets 'Jeopardy!' record

Quote:
James Holzhauer won $110,914 during the episode that aired Tuesday, the most ever on a single day in the popular game show's 35-year history, according to a news release from the TV program. The previous single-day mark was $77,000, set on Sept. 14, 2010, by Roger Craig.

Holzhauer has won $244,365 during his four-day streak, also a record, and many in the "Jeopardy!" community think it's only the beginning for the 34-year-old Las Vegas family man.
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...eopardy-record
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Otto-matic
Franchise Player
 
Otto-matic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Watched this last night, the man is no afraid to go all in on daily doubles. Even when he has a sizable lead.

It was a runaway after the first round.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ha, my wife and I happened to tune in to the episode last night. We watch Jeopardy maybe 6 times a year.

You need to be smart, but you also need a lot of nerve (or confidence) to get a score this high. When he had just over 14k (12k more than second place) he hit a daily double and made a "shove all the chips in" motion with his hands to indicate he was betting everything. Of course he got it. That was when I thought this could be a special game.

In the second round, he had about 45k, and bet 25k on a daily double which pushed him to over 70k. Then he wagered 35k in final jeopardy to get over 110k.

It was fun to watch how he played. In the first round, he picked topics by clearing the bottom row first left-to-right, then second-from-bottom, and so on moving upward. I was thinking if I was another contestant, if I got an answer, I'd pick a topic near the top to ruin his pattern and see if that would throw him off. But in the second round, he picked topics more conventionally. It was like he was toying with the game.

I'm going to try to tune in now and see how far his run goes.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memento Mori
Exp:
Default

First round is supposed to be easier. If you know the topics well then starting from the bottom is supposed to be the correct strategy.
__________________
If you don't pass this sig to ten of your friends, you will become an Oilers fan.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
First round is supposed to be easier. If you know the topics well then starting from the bottom is supposed to be the correct strategy.
Starting at the bottom provides no advantage in and of itself. The clue values add up to the same regardless. The important part is getting the daily double because of its value and since DD clues only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from bottom, it is often a race to see who can find it first.

But even that has its own strategy. A DD early in a round has way less double up value than late in a round but the longer you leave it, the more you run the risk of letting your opponent beat you to it. Then, even if they don’t bet much, the fact they’ve kept it out of your hands evens up the game tremendously.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player
 
FireGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Exp:
Default

Interesting points Cecil. I thought it could be a negative to get a DD in a category you are not great in but I guess it is valuable if you keep it away from an opponent.

My strategy would be to pick from the bottom on categories I am confident in and pick from the top on categories I am not. Seems like it gives you the best chances to retain control of the board.

Cool story: I get Jeopardy! in Australia but it is 14 months behind for some reason (thanks for the spoiler by the way!!!). Not sure what the deal is since Wheel is only a month behind. Anyways it makes for some fun watching whenever there are questions about a celebrity with a recent scandal. These days it is Michael Jackson questions, with Louis CK and Kevin Spacey previously, and Cosby before that.
__________________
The masses of humanity have always had to surf.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Austin Rogers and Ken Jennings have both provided some cool insight on the show. It’s really neat. From how they study, prepare, strategy, to behind the scenes stuff and how the show works.

I recall Jennings say it’s all in the buzzer. Said something like 90% of the time all 3 contestants know the correct response to a clue and it’s all about buzzer timing. And I think it was Austin who explained in an interview about strategizing for frequent responses in categories. People who watch regularly may have picked up on this. Basically you can predict responses based solely on the category to gain an advantage and how some contestants have done a deep dive into the history of clues/responses and it helps give them an edge.

One thing I’ve always found interesting is they claim smarts has little to do with it. Memory, strategy, timing are the real deciders. That and the difference between being good in your living room and up on stage under the lights and in front of the cameras.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
#-3
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Starting at the bottom provides no advantage in and of itself. The clue values add up to the same regardless. The important part is getting the daily double because of its value and since DD clues only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from bottom, it is often a race to see who can find it first.

But even that has its own strategy. A DD early in a round has way less double up value than late in a round but the longer you leave it, the more you run the risk of letting your opponent beat you to it. Then, even if they don’t bet much, the fact they’ve kept it out of your hands evens up the game tremendously.
I think starting from the bottom as a strategy is entirely related to the daily double. If the average daily double is mid round bottom up affords you the opportunity to bet several times bigger. Didn't see tonight, but he went bottom up all for of his games so far.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
Shazam
Franchise Player
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memento Mori
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Starting at the bottom provides no advantage in and of itself. The clue values add up to the same regardless. The important part is getting the daily double because of its value and since DD clues only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from bottom, it is often a race to see who can find it first.

But even that has its own strategy. A DD early in a round has way less double up value than late in a round but the longer you leave it, the more you run the risk of letting your opponent beat you to it. Then, even if they don’t bet much, the fact they’ve kept it out of your hands evens up the game tremendously.
If you think you know the category well, then you should start at the bottom. You don’t want you’re lesser opponents leaving money on the board - that is, getting the question wrong.
__________________
If you don't pass this sig to ten of your friends, you will become an Oilers fan.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I think starting from the bottom as a strategy is entirely related to the daily double. If the average daily double is mid round bottom up affords you the opportunity to bet several times bigger. Didn't see tonight, but he went bottom up all for of his games so far.
First, yes, as I explained in the post you quoted, going bottom up is mostly related to searching for the DD.

However the DDs aren’t random or time based AFAIK. You could pick it on the first choice of clue.

Getting the DD in Jeopardy isn’t as important as it is in Double Jeopardy because in DJ your score is high enough to start you can get significant benefit right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
If you think you know the category well, then you should start at the bottom. You don’t want you’re lesser opponents leaving money on the board - that is, getting the question wrong.
Starting at the bottom is almost entirely due to the DD. Although some of it does relate to controlling the board and not leaving money on the board but I think that’s more to do with running out of time than your opponents getting it wrong.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-10-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Wow. There's a guy from Calgary on Jeopardy tonight. Looks kinda stunned though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sunnyvale
Exp:
Default

Watching this now. Poor guy from Calgary, Jeff Henderson has run into the Juggernaut.
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Tuned in tonight to see what the hype was all about.

Spoiler!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
OMG!WTF!
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

K that guy's a freak.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

I watch a bit of Jeopardy periodically. I have seen a few episodes with this guy and he is good but not very likeable for some reason. I remember when Ken Jennings was on and making his huge run. He was unstoppable but also really likeable and fun to watch.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #16
Maritime Q-Scout
First Line Centre
 
Maritime Q-Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: God's Country (aka Cape Breton Island)
Exp:
Default

I have the PVR set to record Jeopardy!

I recently got back into it when Netflix uploaded a bunch of tournaments.

There are a few things that James Holzhauer does that would irk people and make him not as likable as some others.

(1) He tends to go across the board, right-to-left or left-to-right as opposed to start at the top and work down a category. I'd say viewers at home like contestants going down a category as the clues are designed to have the responses the first thing you guess, and this is easier when you're in a groove. Jumping categories you may forget the category, especially if the contestant abbreviates it.

(2) He doesn't bet values in denominations of 100. Seeing $12,316 as a person's score just seems wrong. It's not symmetrical with the standard scoring system or other players.

(3) He is monotone, and has little banter. Very robotic, it's more difficult to get behind someone who doesn't have their personality come across the screen.

(4) His smile is really forced. You can tell he's 'smiling for the camera' and is not naturally smiling.


Ken Jennings was laid back, relaxed, and charismatic.

Brad Rutter, the winningest Jeopardy! player, also is very relaxed, and charismatic. Both Rutter and Jennings loved to banter with Alex, something Holzhauer doesn't do.

Roger Craig, the former record holder of a single day winning score, while not as charismatic as Rutter and Jennings, still was laid back, and would banter a little bit (during one of the Tournaments of Champions, Alex mentioned to Craig that he was within reach of setting the single day winning record, to which Craig responded "what's the amount?" When they came back from commercial Alex said that Roger Craig was likely joking as HE was the record holder at $77,000, to which Craig had a sly smile.

Holzhauer just doesn't have those intangibles.

That said, he seems like a good guy. His wagers all reference important dates for his family, his Final Jeopardy! answer always has a shout out to a family member. It comes across as awkward but I like the kiss and heart tap to the person he does the shout out to when Alex references it. Family is clearly important to him, which is endearing.


That said, has anyone ever done the Jeopardy! test? I think today's the last day to try out for the next run. I did... not... do so great on it, haha. Made up for it with an HQ win yesterday. $0.56 USD is better than nothing.
__________________
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
squiggs96
Franchise Player
 
squiggs96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Section 203
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Starting at the bottom provides no advantage in and of itself. The clue values add up to the same regardless. The important part is getting the daily double because of its value and since DD clues only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from bottom, it is often a race to see who can find it first.
Daily Double clues do not only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from the bottom. The top four locations for where daily doubles are located are all in the fourth row. The most frequent spot in the bottom row is the left corner, and it's only the 11th most frequent spot on the board. They are most likely in the fourth row, more likely on the bottom three rows, but they have been found in every location.

Source: http://digg.com/2018/joepardy-daily-...ability-mapped (I find it amusing jeopardy is spelled incorrectly in the url)

Starting at the bottom can be an advantage if they run out of time in the round. If you only get to answer two questions, it's obviously better to get the bottom two correct, compared to the top two, as they are worth more money. I cna't find stats on how many rounds leave questions unanswered, but I've seen it many times.
__________________
My thanks equals mod team endorsement of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak
nvm stupid comment
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
DiracSpike
Powerplay Quarterback
 
DiracSpike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: BELTLINE
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have the PVR set to record Jeopardy!

I recently got back into it when Netflix uploaded a bunch of tournaments.

There are a few things that James Holzhauer does that would irk people and make him not as likable as some others.

(1) He tends to go across the board, right-to-left or left-to-right as opposed to start at the top and work down a category. I'd say viewers at home like contestants going down a category as the clues are designed to have the responses the first thing you guess, and this is easier when you're in a groove. Jumping categories you may forget the category, especially if the contestant abbreviates it.

(2) He doesn't bet values in denominations of 100. Seeing $12,316 as a person's score just seems wrong. It's not symmetrical with the standard scoring system or other players.

(3) He is monotone, and has little banter. Very robotic, it's more difficult to get behind someone who doesn't have their personality come across the screen.

(4) His smile is really forced. You can tell he's 'smiling for the camera' and is not naturally smiling.


Ken Jennings was laid back, relaxed, and charismatic.

Brad Rutter, the winningest Jeopardy! player, also is very relaxed, and charismatic. Both Rutter and Jennings loved to banter with Alex, something Holzhauer doesn't do.

Roger Craig, the former record holder of a single day winning score, while not as charismatic as Rutter and Jennings, still was laid back, and would banter a little bit (during one of the Tournaments of Champions, Alex mentioned to Craig that he was within reach of setting the single day winning record, to which Craig responded "what's the amount?" When they came back from commercial Alex said that Roger Craig was likely joking as HE was the record holder at $77,000, to which Craig had a sly smile.

Holzhauer just doesn't have those intangibles.

That said, he seems like a good guy. His wagers all reference important dates for his family, his Final Jeopardy! answer always has a shout out to a family member. It comes across as awkward but I like the kiss and heart tap to the person he does the shout out to when Alex references it. Family is clearly important to him, which is endearing.


That said, has anyone ever done the Jeopardy! test? I think today's the last day to try out for the next run. I did... not... do so great on it, haha. Made up for it with an HQ win yesterday. $0.56 USD is better than nothing.
I did, definitely harder than I was expecting. I hate that US civics questions that I have no idea about like which month the US supreme court convenes are hard for me but probably second hand to Americans who are trying out.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sunnyvale
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Daily Double clues do not only appear in the bottom row, or sometimes 2nd from the bottom. The top four locations for where daily doubles are located are all in the fourth row. The most frequent spot in the bottom row is the left corner, and it's only the 11th most frequent spot on the board. They are most likely in the fourth row, more likely on the bottom three rows, but they have been found in every location.

Source: http://digg.com/2018/joepardy-daily-...ability-mapped (I find it amusing jeopardy is spelled incorrectly in the url)

Starting at the bottom can be an advantage if they run out of time in the round. If you only get to answer two questions, it's obviously better to get the bottom two correct, compared to the top two, as they are worth more money. I cna't find stats on how many rounds leave questions unanswered, but I've seen it many times.
Wouldn't they be answers unquestioned?
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

I don’t know if anyone else is interested, but that guy just ran roughshod over the other two tonight. He heads into Final Jeopardy with a lead of over $50k. Just unreal.

Wins over $100k today and is at $566k now.

I think eventually he’ll get a question where he bets it all wrong and won’t be able to recover, but it’s really compelling!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:04 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016