Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #5881
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I keep going back to Jon being allowed to get on a Dragon, I doubt they let anyone do that, and it seems like only one house has ever been dragon riders which is Tagaryon. I tend to think that Drogan knew that Jon was part of that house, and just didn't have the desire to kill him.

It made me wonder if the Night King was a Targaryon as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #5882
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Targaryens were a small house back in Old Valyria. A lot of stronger, more powerful houses road dragons as well.

So it's not Targaryens, but could be (and probably is) Valyrians.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #5883
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
But why?

Why make a finale that nobody would be happy with?
They didn't. There are people that are quietly happy with the way it ended. I am one of those people.

Would I have preferred more episodes to fill in some gaps? Sure but they couldn't. I think the story arc of the Stark kids makes sense. Bran's rise to King was obviously a little out of left field but Jon was never going to be King.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #5884
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not just internet message boards that didn’t like the finale. A lot of people I have talked to this week felt let down with these 6 episodes. Sure there are those that like it but can’t really deny it didn’t sit well with many of the show’s fans.

I liked the last season of Lost and the resolution but I recognize that to most, it was disappointing.

You can’t make everyone happy but the dropped storylines is kind of inexcusable.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #5885
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They didn't. There are people that are quietly happy with the way it ended. I am one of those people.

Would I have preferred more episodes to fill in some gaps? Sure but they couldn't. I think the story arc of the Stark kids makes sense. Bran's rise to King was obviously a little out of left field but Jon was never going to be King.
Yes they certainly could have had more episodes.

It was their decision to wrap it up as quickly as possible, collect the pay cheque and move to Star Wars.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #5886
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

I'm one of those that liked it as well.

But why do you say they couldn't have filled it in with more episodes? HBO literally wanted to. Hell, GRRM has said they could have had 13 seasons.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #5887
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would not be surprised if the remake will start from the end of season 6. You could easily do 50 episodes from that point.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #5888
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
But why do you say they couldn't have filled it in with more episodes? HBO literally wanted to. Hell, GRRM has said they could have had 13 seasons.
From what I understand the actors contracts wouldn't allow it. Some wanted to stop and others wanted too much money. You can't blame either. It was 10 years of their lives.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:28 PM   #5889
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
From what I understand the actors contracts wouldn't allow it. Some wanted to stop and others wanted too much money. You can't blame either. It was 10 years of their lives.
Source? Basically everything being said is that the decision was solely D&D's and I've yet to see any report of an actor wanting out. Nor did HBO say anything about not wanting to pay them more
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #5890
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if they tried to write for 13 episodes but found everything was just filler and didn't feel right?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #5891
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure some of the actors would have loved to keep going.
For a lot of them, they'll never move on to a project of this size again. We've seen that time and time again with most successful TV show actors. A couple may break that mold, but very few.

Imagine the Entourage guys could have kept going with huge paycheques for each episode, vs whatever they're doing now.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #5892
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Source? Basically everything being said is that the decision was solely D&D's and I've yet to see any report of an actor wanting out. Nor did HBO say anything about not wanting to pay them more
Honestly, I'm not sure where I heard that.

From the beginning it was supposed to be a 7 season series. They convinced D&D to do one more season.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #5893
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting the feeling that D&D are smooooooooooth talkers.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #5894
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
What if they tried to write for 13 episodes but found everything was just filler and didn't feel right?
That's what this season needed though. Filler. And lots of it.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #5895
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I'm sure some of the actors would have loved to keep going.
For a lot of them, they'll never move on to a project of this size again. We've seen that time and time again with most successful TV show actors. A couple may break that mold, but very few.

Imagine the Entourage guys could have kept going with huge paycheques for each episode, vs whatever they're doing now.
Then why didnt they try and find different show-runners? Because Disney backed up the Brinks truck for Benioff and Weiss.

If HBO and the Game of Thrones cast/crew wanted to keep going then just give D&D EP credits and replace them and move along.

There seems like theres something more going on here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #5896
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There wasn't that much more story to tell. They already padded it latter seasons with stuff that was originally trimmed for the show, before realizing nothing would be coming out for them to further adapt. So the choices were 1) End the show without ending the story 2) End the story or 3) Tread water with filler until something else to adapt came out.

Sure, there could have been some more minutes in these last two seasons. But ultimately I'm pleased with the conclusion the story got, even if it wasn't up to everyone's expectations.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #5897
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well, I came to the end of Game of Thrones.

I loved the series overall, yes there were some inconsistancies in season 8 and 7, and absolutely it just seemed so rushed in the end as the war with the Night King began and ended at Winterfell in one episode.

There were too many dickless jokes from Tyrion, and you know what, putting the woman and children in the crypt when the Nightking came raise the dead was a bad decision.

And because of the rush, it felt like Daeny's rush to madness kind of happened over night, even though you could see where she was going as far back as season one.

But I loved the season, I loved the actual game of thrones, and the almost march madness march to the Iron Throne.

The acting was amazing, the battle scenes intense, and for the most part it was a stronger series then most others I watched.

I mourned in the end for Daeny's death. I still think that she had that gentle heart deep down inside, but the call to conquer and change the world and break the wheel combined with her paranoia were overwhelming.

I was crushed by Grey Worms story, it would have been better if he died during the long night. He went from a slave, to a feeling free human and back to being a slave and a zealot over night.

At the same time, I felt a twinge of pity for Cersei. Even though she was evil to the core in the end and a monster compared to the political player early in the series, it was a sad death when her and Jamie died together.

Ok, I didn't like Bran's story, the Three Eyed Raven story just seemed to not make sense at all, and then in the end he became the King, but it was just tough to get into. And for a guy that see's the past and present and future, maybe go into the future and find the blueprints for a machine gun.

Was it rushed in the end? It did feel like it, but it was a quality series, and I wouldn't want a rewrite of season 8 based on 5 expectations because we might get the Nightking bending the knee to the three eyed raven while Hon had a three way with Cersei and Daeny's before killing them both (I kid I kid).

But I can even say with the happy ending, I ended the series feeling really satisified with the whole f'ning show.

I might like to go back and watch the series again someday, just to see what I missed.

I might even revisit this thread and go deeper into this series and especially the last season, but then again I might not.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #5898
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well, I came to the end of Game of Thrones.

I loved the series overall, yes there were some inconsistancies in season 8 and 7, and absolutely it just seemed so rushed in the end as the war with the Night King began and ended at Winterfell in one episode.

There were too many dickless jokes from Tyrion, and you know what, putting the woman and children in the crypt when the Nightking came raise the dead was a bad decision.

And because of the rush, it felt like Daeny's rush to madness kind of happened over night, even though you could see where she was going as far back as season one.

But I loved the season, I loved the actual game of thrones, and the almost march madness march to the Iron Throne.

The acting was amazing, the battle scenes intense, and for the most part it was a stronger series then most others I watched.

I mourned in the end for Daeny's death. I still think that she had that gentle heart deep down inside, but the call to conquer and change the world and break the wheel combined with her paranoia were overwhelming.

I was crushed by Grey Worms story, it would have been better if he died during the long night. He went from a slave, to a feeling free human and back to being a slave and a zealot over night.

At the same time, I felt a twinge of pity for Cersei. Even though she was evil to the core in the end and a monster compared to the political player early in the series, it was a sad death when her and Jamie died together.

Ok, I didn't like Bran's story, the Three Eyed Raven story just seemed to not make sense at all, and then in the end he became the King, but it was just tough to get into. And for a guy that see's the past and present and future, maybe go into the future and find the blueprints for a machine gun.

Was it rushed in the end? It did feel like it, but it was a quality series, and I wouldn't want a rewrite of season 8 based on 5 expectations because we might get the Nightking bending the knee to the three eyed raven while Hon had a three way with Cersei and Daeny's before killing them both (I kid I kid).

But I can even say with the happy ending, I ended the series feeling really satisified with the whole f'ning show.

I might like to go back and watch the series again someday, just to see what I missed.

I might even revisit this thread and go deeper into this series and especially the last season, but then again I might not.
Yeah. BS.

You hated Cersei for a few days, we've hated Cersei for a decade!!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #5899
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is absolutely not true. HBO was willing to throw money at them to extend the project. The choice to compress the season as well end it this season was squarely on D&D. HBO was happy to go past 10 seasons.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #5900
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody watch the Last Watch? It was on HBO tonight.

At the reading for the last episode, I guess Kit Harrington never read the script before the table reading. and he just loses it when he finds out he hears that he kills Daenerys.