Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #921
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Thanks kermit. Here's the instructions:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...t-as-Hazardous

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #922
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think walking 5km takes more energy than biking 5km, one takes 15 minutes, the other 45-60.
Time is not the key metric here...by that logic running 5km would take less energy than walking, too...(driving 100km in 60 mins uses more gas than 100km in 100mins...)

Perhaps true if downhill (though balanced out on return trip), or using the same amount of effort as walking, but on average I expect most cyclists operate at either a consistent 'jogging' level, or even 'running' with a few more periods of coasting (ie. HIIT)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #923
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not a huge difference, but according to this calorie calculator, a 150lb person will burn 119 calories(with selecting what I think is a commuting pace) in 15 minutes. Selecting a moderate walking pace it's 156 calories in an hour.

http://calorielab.com/burned/

When I walk home I feel like the effort was a bit more than biking, since I'm at it for longer. But maybe that's because I bike so much I find the effort lighter than most.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #924
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Idiot, nobody cares about your KOM when you're dead.

Disclaimer: I don't care about your segment times or KOM's anyways.

Yeah. I was surprised. This was just during rush hour too, and I was standing by the light during my run.

Kind of scary, a couple of seconds later my light have been green and I had started running again and maybe gotten myself offed by this guy. I am pretty sure there is no way his guy could come to a stop going > 50kph.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:47 AM   #925
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suggestions for a cheap 700c 11s rim? I need one to easily swap back and forth when on the trainer.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #926
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not a huge difference, but according to this calorie calculator, a 150lb person will burn 119 calories(with selecting what I think is a commuting pace) in 15 minutes. Selecting a moderate walking pace it's 156 calories in an hour.

http://calorielab.com/burned/

When I walk home I feel like the effort was a bit more than biking, since I'm at it for longer. But maybe that's because I bike so much I find the effort lighter than most.

Isn’t some of it the ability to coast/roll when you are on the bike during over some distance, while walking you don’t have that option. No gravity assist for the walkers.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #927
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Time is not the key metric here...by that logic running 5km would take less energy than walking, too...(driving 100km in 60 mins uses more gas than 100km in 100mins...)

Perhaps true if downhill (though balanced out on return trip), or using the same amount of effort as walking, but on average I expect most cyclists operate at either a consistent 'jogging' level, or even 'running' with a few more periods of coasting (ie. HIIT)
Wheels are more efficient than lifting your self so I would expect per km work done excluding biomechancial efficiency to be lower for cycling.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #928
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #929
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like it will be August until I get out to bragg creek to ride....as I see more rain is in the forecast for later this week and next weekend
Old 05-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #930
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is there any dirt or paved path riding out by brag creek or is it all mountain biking?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #931
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there is a bit of a crushed gravel path thru the village and i think it runs out close to the west bragg parking lot.

if you are looking for that type of pathway, i'd suggest going out to canmore as you can easily do 20 to 30k riding around town on a multi-use pathway
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #932
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mad respect for Ridley's kensington.

Just lost my 2nd commuter to theft. So I called into to Ridley's and asked what they have for SS flat bar commuter bikes. Happened to get one of the owners on the phone and he said I have a used bike for you, come get it. I go get it, payment is refused on the grounds of karma. I made it clear that it's not an issue for me to pay retail for a bike and that there may be other cyclists who benefit more from this gesture. Nope.

So, tomorrow, I'll head to work on a new used bike. I'm now completely sold on LBS over direct-to-consumer. And this is also my last season on both the carbon RM tbolt and IBIS. I guess I know where I'm shopping at seasons end.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #933
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I snuck away from the desk this morning to get some kms in before it was too hot. It's damn near perfect out there. Next to no wind. Hardly any clouds.

Also, being able to head East of the city and get nearly 50kms in without going over 100m elevation is pretty great, as long as there's no wind.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-29-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #934
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Thanks kermit. Here's the instructions:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...t-as-Hazardous

Does this feature still exist? I only get an option to refresh my results.. Getting kind of irritated by people doing 40 on the pathways.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #935
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does this feature still exist? I only get an option to refresh my results.. Getting kind of irritated by people doing 40 on the pathways.
Yes. You have to go to the segment's page in your browser. To get to it you need to "View Full Leaderboard" for the segment.

You see Actions below the Compare Results button. That will give you a dropdown with the Flag option.

Just don't do it on a segment were I have a decent time. They're few and far between.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #936
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Yes. You have to go to the segment's page in your browser. To get to it you need to "View Full Leaderboard" for the segment.

You see Actions below the Compare Results button. That will give you a dropdown with the Flag option.

Just don't do it on a segment were I have a decent time. They're few and far between.

Weird - I discovered that it only gives me the option to "flag" if I have cycled the segment. If it's one that I have only run, then it doesn't. It seems fair that you have to have personally been there, but whether you are biking or running doesn't seem important on the pathway.

I think it would be nice if some of these areas were monitored a bit. Set up a speed trap along Nose Creek for a few days.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #937
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dang. After an amazing early May trek to Moab, the mountain biking season taking a while to get up to speed in YYC area. Got a good Lake Minnewanka ride in earlier this week and a Fish Creek ride with a muddy WBC ride (went out after getting some not so great intel that one set of trails were good to go). Now, it's the smoke. Ugh.

Stay safe out there!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #938
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

I decided to buy one of these respiration masks as I hate smoky lungs and also hate being stuck in my house:

Big Picture

NSFW!

http://respro.com/store/product/ultra-light

saw them at MEC online unfortunately they were sold out of the XL Gold filters so i went direct off their website. Knowing my luck this will be the only smoke we get all year and I will just end up with a sweet mask...
Old 05-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #939
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
I decided to buy one of these respiration masks as I hate smoky lungs and also hate being stuck in my house:

Big Picture

NSFW!

http://respro.com/store/product/ultra-light

saw them at MEC online unfortunately they were sold out of the XL Gold filters so i went direct off their website. Knowing my luck this will be the only smoke we get all year and I will just end up with a sweet mask...
Ugh, we're now comparing respiration masks. Here's mine - ordered from MEC.

NSFW!

http://respro.com/store/product/techno-mask

I've never had any respiratory issues, but my throat is still raw after the ride home yesterday around 4PM - and that was a few hours before things got ugly.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redflamesfan08 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #940
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
Ugh, we're now comparing respiration masks. Here's mine - ordered from MEC.

NSFW!

http://respro.com/store/product/techno-mask

I've never had any respiratory issues, but my throat is still raw after the ride home yesterday around 4PM - and that was a few hours before things got ugly.
I thought the same thing after buying an air purifier near the end of the summer last year. Now I'm feeling like a genius for having been prepared!

I'm also looking into masks for the bike commute. Am leaning towards a Vogmask, but will likely have to order online. Wish I had ordered it earlier, but the experts are saying this will be a smokey summer so better late than never (I hope they're wrong, but doubt it).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote