Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #41
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my first pair of glasses(progressives) about 10 years ago, and I hate wearing glasses, hate it. I only wear them at work.

The other thing about aging, and I seem to be harping on this more and more, is how great golf is. Dion proved it with his post. staying active into your later years is so beneficial, and golf is THE activity, that keeps you active for 4 - 5 hours, that has benefits way beyond just simply wasting your time and money hitting a ball around a field.

My father is closer to 80 than 70, and golfs about 5 times a week, with about 30 other guys, mostly in their 60's, 70's and 80's and they all walk the course. every day. One guy is in his early 80's and shooting his age is common.

Also, friendships and hobbies, are very important for keeping you going.

We have a guy at work, that is in his 70's, and I think his thing is, that if he doesn't come to work, he dies, because his life has no meaning beyond coming here to work every day. hobbies are good.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #42
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I mean aging is part of the whole circle of life without the lion king and all the animals standing around you reminding you with a power ballad written by Elton John.

Its somewhat insidious though. I mean in terms of physical feel it sneaks up on you even though we grouse that its almost like it kicks us in the face one day when we wake up and look in the mirror and see white hair or a white beard, or a frier Tuckesque bald spot.

Or you get in your car, and fire up your spotify and go to select the easy listening library or the music of the 70's or 80's library instead of your old power metal library because its to damn loud.
More like you get in your car and turn on the radio because you don't have Spotify, or better yet you don't know what Spotify is.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #43
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

New one for me. Opening the Star Trek: Picard thread.... then looking up how old Patrick Stewart is... then realizing that I am currently older than Patrick Stewart was when TNG started. You know, with the "old guy" in command.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
New one for me. Opening the Star Trek: Picard thread.... then looking up how old Patrick Stewart is... then realizing that I am currently older than Patrick Stewart was when TNG started. You know, with the "old guy" in command.
Wow.

I never thought I'd meet someone as old or older than Jammies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #45
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow...so much I agree with here, especially the hair growing in places I woulda never thunk about before. Best part of being older is I dont give a crap about it. Told my wife Ill just grow the eyebrows into Brezhnev's.

I love the fact that our heavy metal music is now mainstream on oldies radio. Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc etc.

Im"generally good", except the fact that genetics got in the way and gave me a good case of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #46
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
wow...so much I agree with here, especially the hair growing in places I woulda never thunk about before. Best part of being older is I dont give a crap about it. Told my wife Ill just grow the eyebrows into Brezhnev's.

I love the fact that our heavy metal music is now mainstream on oldies radio. Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc etc.

Im"generally good", except the fact that genetics got in the way and gave me a good case of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

If you let your eyebrows grow long enough, you can comb them back to cover your bald spot
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I picked up my new glasses today, put them on and automatically threw my back out, my knees started hurting and I used the term dagnabbit a couple of times.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #48
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have to think about baseball anymore. But I do anyway.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #49
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Used to think I was getting old because I was getting a little hair growing on my shoulders. Looked in the mirror this morning and saw my first white shoulder/back hair. 49 this year and I’m officially on the way out....
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:40 AM   #50
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
Used to think I was getting old because I was getting a little hair growing on my shoulders. Looked in the mirror this morning and saw my first white shoulder/back hair. 49 this year and I’m officially on the way out....
Wait till next year...
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

My ear was itchy and then I realized I had a 2” white hair growing out of it. Turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg too. What the hell is that about!? Do they grow 2” a day!?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #52
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I cant go to a concert anymore unless i have seats, if i stand for 3+ hours my hips will be barking for days
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #53
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still in decent shape but when I go skiing or mountain biking I sure feel it a lot more the next day. Last year one of my knees started going, which has been hard to take for a guy who has been climbing around in the mountains his whole life. Getting older kind of sucks.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #54
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

You know you're getting older when you metabolism slows down and you have to work that much harder to keep the weight off. I exercise more than I did in my 20's and 30's and yet the battle of the bulge get's harder with each passing year.

My doctor is about the same age as me as was going to give me heck the other day for my extra pounds and I said what about yours? He laughed and said you're right.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #55
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I weeded the entire front lawn last night. Today I've been hoping to die.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #56
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just turned 36, and it dawned on me that I really do hate people more. Is that an age thing? I don't remember being this crusty in my 20's.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I weeded the entire front lawn last night. Today I've been hoping to die.
Hello 'Tomorrow Me.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #58
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Just turned 36, and it dawned on me that I really do hate people more. Is that an age thing? I don't remember being this crusty in my 20's.
Yes
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #59
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used to play slow pitch until my son was born, 23 years ago. Well this year since I am retired I had the brilliant idea that I should start playing again and found a team that would take me. We play 2 games a night, 2 days a week. I wasn’t all that bad after the first day, but after the second day I could barely walk. We just finished the third week and it is getting better, but barely. I have to wrap both of my thighs before each game day and after the games have to ice down with bags of frozen peas and beer. I play with teenagers, have no range, no arm, can barely run and I always hurt almost everywhere, but I have to say I am enjoying the hell out of it.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Doe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #60
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awful music from the 90s comes on the radio and it makes you nostalgic.

Goddamnit Sugar Ray has always been hot SB garbage, but apparently I have fond memories attached to "Fly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote