Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #2901
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Some rare positive news coming out of Ottawa. Need more of that. It's refreshing.

More perks for Government workers? They only work like half the year, but they deserve more?

What am I missing here?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #2902
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes lets continue to to put government workers in a completely different class than most of the private sector. Divide and conquer Libtards.
It's really hard to tell sometimes if you're an alt right true believer or just a bigoted troll. Props if you're just a troll because you're not bad at it. But if you actually really believe half the #### you say then.. yikes. You're a lot dumber than you sound.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #2903
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Good.
it's crap that they receive full pay, though.

my wife sure as hell didn't get full pay on her mat leave. why should an MP?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #2904
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are still working though, so comparing it to non-working leave is completely ridiculous. And if they aren't meeting their responsibilities, as judged by their constituency, they can be voted out. So not at all the same as your wife who had her job protected despite (hopefully) not having to deal with it at all for a year (or 18 months).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #2905
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The average Canadian has no idea if their MP does their job or not.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #2906
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

More perks for Government workers? They only work like half the year, but they deserve more?

What am I missing here?
As someone that complains that the best and brightest have little incentive to get into politics I don't have any issue with this. I realize there are already plenty of benefits to being a politician but I feel stuff like this can't hurt if we ever want to get smarter people into politics. Justin is easy to pick on for his deficiencies but it's not like he's the only person in the house of commons that's inept enough to run a prime location Tim Hortons franchise into the ground.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #2907
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
They are still working though, so comparing it to non-working leave is completely ridiculous. And if they aren't meeting their responsibilities, as judged by their constituency, they can be voted out. So not at all the same as your wife who had her job protected despite (hopefully) not having to deal with it at all for a year (or 18 months).
First of all, at full 100% they work about half as much as normal employees and experience significantly more time off and benefits.

But they deserve more?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #2908
GordonBlue
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
but they are not doing their full job. only part of it. I still don't think it justifies full pay.

as an aside, I'd love to know what an MP does "in their constituency"
go to a few meetings and parties, and answer some e-mail?

I'm glad they get leave but only disagree with full pay.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #2909
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, at full 100% they work about half as much as normal employees and experience significantly more time off and benefits.

But they deserve more?
Then run for it. Give it 55% effort and you're obviously a shoe-in.

If you're concerned about the one MP to date who's had a baby not having to go to chambers for a year, if they choose to take that much time off and risk getting not-elected but people like you, I feel like you got too much time on your hand.

If it allows more women to join caucus because they are no longer having to decide between politics and family, while still meeting their responsibilities as judged by the voters, seems like a complete win to me.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #2910
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1138914966940082176
Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #2911
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

But I thought the world loves JT?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #2912
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While MPs should be able to get some kind of parental leave, it's crap that they don't pay into a system AND get full benefits. My wife and I payed into the system for years, and not only did we get only a portion of it back, the system also did it's damnedest to claw back what it could.
Kerplunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #2913
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that true though?
My understanding is that a (normal) MP puts in a huge amount of hours outside of house sittings. No doubt there are some that are lazy but I don't think it's the majority. They get ridiculous benefits but then so do all government employees.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #2914
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Some rare positive news coming out of Ottawa. Need more of that. It's refreshing.
So what happens to your elected representation during that year? If we believe in this whole Democracy thing, isn't attending Parliament a pretty big deal?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #2915
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But they deserve more?
What a ridiculous claim
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #2916
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
So what happens to your elected representation during that year? If we believe in this whole Democracy thing, isn't attending Parliament a pretty big deal?

I think that if you're in cabinet for example or even a parlimentary secretary you would almost have to resign your role as first of all your in cabinet and you have to be able to answer questions in the house and vote.

If you're a backbencher your party would almost have to accept one fewer vote, because I don't think that giving proxy votes in your absence would be a good idea.

What we really need is holographic projectors, which would mean that MP's wouldn't have to travel to Ottawa which would save us a tone of travel dollars, it would be good for the environment
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #2917
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

What am I missing here?
I think more people that can get benefits like this, the better. Government employees or not. I'm a big fan of parents spending as much time as they can with newborns. So yes, I think it is indeed good news.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #2918
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1138922437813387270

So they're going to push it through the house before the election and probably try to jam it through the senate. In other words, we're f'd if the Libs win the election. I'm really interested in seeing what happens with TMX next week

My bet

Justin - "Im uhhhhhh, not eerrrrrrrr satisfied with the durrrrrr consulting effort and I'm asking for fraaappppp another 6 months of consultation"
Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #2919
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Unfortunately, you can’t both encourage good people to go into government and have positions that don’t out-benefit private positions.

A few of the complainers here ought to ask themselves: Would I want to be in government if they lagged behind the private sector or even just kept pace? Would I even want to be in government now?

I can only answer for myself, and the answer is no. But if the benefits and pay are sooooo good, get off your asses and run. I’m personally fine with them adding benefits to push competitiveness. It’s still certainly not enough for me to give up my private sector job.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #2920
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You know, I realize we're talking about MPs here, but as an employee of the federal government, I'm getting tired of this label and hearing constantly about how lazy and entitled I am. It's particularly bad here. There's no doubt that the bureaucracy is bloated, but it's frustrating being painted with the same brush.

/endrant