Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #41
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Ok, but they turned around and offered the same money for 4 years to a goalie that they aren't as familiar with.

That doesn't seem odd to you that they would offer Varlamov a bigger contract than Lehner?
No, Varlamov is a better goalie with a longer history of successfully starting.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I am furious that the Flames didn't go harder on Lehner. He had the save career save percentage as Carey Price.
What did you want them to do? Offer a term when no other team in the league would? That could have ended up bad for the Flames. Also it's fair to assume that he was somewhat of a product of a stingy defensive team as he split time with Greiss who had similar success. Also why would a recovering alcoholic go to a Canadian market where every bad game is going to be under the microscope? Lots of players don't want to play in Canada for the very reason that the can play in anonymity in US cities. I'm getting a kick out of posters that seem to be angry that Treliving doesn't have a magic wand to make players want to play in Calgary.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you are so annoying July 1st...it's not like every player checked with the Flames to see if they would match. FFS guys want to go places for various reasons it's not like the Flames passed on these contracts.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a likeable honest guy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope he does well. Unless we meet them in the playoffs.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #47
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What did you want them to do? Offer a term when no other team in the league would? That could have ended up bad for the Flames. Also it's fair to assume that he was somewhat of a product of a stingy defensive team as he split time with Greiss who had similar success. Also why would a recovering alcoholic go to a Canadian market where every bad game is going to be under the microscope? Lots of players don't want to play in Canada for the very reason that the can play in anonymity in US cities. I'm getting a kick out of posters that seem to be angry that Treliving doesn't have a magic wand to make players want to play in Calgary.
Yes, someone with career stat-line deserves both money and term. I was also furious at this time last year when the Flames didn't sign Lehner.

"Stingy defensive team"? In 2016-2017 the Sabres finished near the bottom of the league, allowed 237 goals, yet Lehner still has 92% in 59 games. Lehner has been on many bottom-dwelling teams, yet still has one of the higher save percentages in the history of the NHL.

Calgary as a city is great for raising a family. If you want a wholesome lifestyle, Calgary is probably one of the top choices. Sure, you can be under a microscope, but it also allows you to do a lot of good in the community.

Goaltending is the most important position in the sport - especially in the playoffs. Overpay for a goalie if you have to. Lehner is in the perfect age range and is consistent with a long track record. He has had 92% 5 times.

Other than bad free agent signings, Trelivings greatest shortcomings have come in the goaltending department. Sincer Kipper's retirement, they have over 10 goalies play. Hiller, Elliott, MacDonald, Backstrom, and Smith were all on the wrong side of 30.

The Talbot signing has no long term upside. They're banking on Rittich. I would rather they have banked on Lehner, who has 91.8% in 265 games and is only 27 years old.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Flames approached and dealt with Talbot because they didn't think Lehner would make it to the open market. This is a big mistake by Treliving. He always talks about planning for every scenario, and this time it looks like they completely overlooked an elite young player.

I honestly think a Rittich - Lehner tandem could have led the Flames to a President Trophy this year. Oh well, at least there's next year (again).
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, someone with career stat-line deserves both money and term. I was also furious at this time last year when the Flames didn't sign Lehner.

"Stingy defensive team"? In 2016-2017 the Sabres finished near the bottom of the league, allowed 237 goals, yet Lehner still has 92% in 59 games. Lehner has been on many bottom-dwelling teams, yet still has one of the higher save percentages in the history of the NHL.

Calgary as a city is great for raising a family. If you want a wholesome lifestyle, Calgary is probably one of the top choices. Sure, you can be under a microscope, but it also allows you to do a lot of good in the community.

Goaltending is the most important position in the sport - especially in the playoffs. Overpay for a goalie if you have to. Lehner is in the perfect age range and is consistent with a long track record. He has had 92% 5 times.

Other than bad free agent signings, Trelivings greatest shortcomings have come in the goaltending department. Sincer Kipper's retirement, they have over 10 goalies play. Hiller, Elliott, MacDonald, Backstrom, and Smith were all on the wrong side of 30.

The Talbot signing has no long term upside. They're banking on Rittich. I would rather they have banked on Lehner, who has 91.8% in 265 games and is only 27 years old.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Flames approached and dealt with Talbot because they didn't think Lehner would make it to the open market. This is a big mistake by Treliving. He always talks about planning for every scenario, and this time it looks like they completely overlooked an elite young player.

I honestly think a Rittich - Lehner tandem could have led the Flames to a President Trophy this year. Oh well, at least there's next year (again).
Again you are just assuming the player wants to come here
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you know the Flames didn’t look into him?
Perhaps he had no interest in coming here.
Hard to say a mistake was made when you have no actual knowledge of the situation
What you claim to be obvious is anything but
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

While the last sentence is true, I disagree about the rest. I think it is clear that the Flames expect David Rittich to be their starter next year and into the future, and that had significant bearing in their decision to target Talbot in UFA. For better or worse it seems to me that they are setting their faith in Rittich to take another step, and if they want him to play 40-50 games it doesn’t make any sense for either the team or Lehner to sign in Calgary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #51
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Maybe he chose the Hawks because a western suburb of Chicago has one of the best mental health facilities in the country

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-02-2019 at 12:11 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 AM   #52
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have considerable cap problems.

We now have 9.47M in cap space and are yet to sign Tkachuk, Rittich, Bennett and Mangiapane. We'll have to move a guy just to make that happen, and then find a cheaper replacement for tee guy we moved.

We really don't have that extra 2+ million to upgrade goaltending.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #53
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The Central Division is going to be a bloodbath.

CHI - Lehner
COL - Grubauer
DAL - Bishop
NSH - Rinne
MIN - Dubnyk
STL - Binnington
WPG - Hellebuyck

Which goalie(s) prevail?
The back up goalies are going to be important in that bloodbath.

Khudobin is good for Bishop.
Saros is a solid #2 behind Rinne.
Allen has plenty of experience with the Blues.
Crawford and Lehner are fine as long as they stay healthy.
The Avs have nothing right now to back up Grubauer.
Dubnyk will need his voodoo because Stalock isn't the answer.
Brossoit isn't a strong #2 goalie.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #54
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
The back up goalies are going to be important in that bloodbath.

Khudobin is good for Bishop.
Saros is a solid #2 behind Rinne.
Allen has plenty of experience with the Blues.
Crawford and Lehner are fine as long as they stay healthy.
The Avs have nothing right now to back up Grubauer.
Dubnyk will need his voodoo because Stalock isn't the answer.
Brossoit isn't a strong #2 goalie.
Crawford is close to retirement, I would not count on him even as a backup. Avs have Pavel Francouz who should have been Edmonton's target last year, he was the best goalie outside of the NHL. If they were any good, they would never sign Koskinen. Watch him challange Grubauer for playing time next season. Brossoit? I have seen many posters being hard on him and yet, he played over 20 games with 0.925%. That is incredible for a backup, he may aswell turn out ot be the best of your list. He would play much more if the Jets were not forced to ride their overpayed starter.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s be honest here - if you could work in Chicago or calgary which one would you choose? I’d have to think for a financial/tax perspective Chicago is better for the player.

Based on last season i’d Have to think the flames have the better team, but the player is onl6 there for a year and is less than 30.

If a contending team loses their goalie, the hawks will get phone calls and could flip him for a nice return.

At that term and price, it would habve been nice to see him here, but as noted above, it seems the flames would have to ship out a few guys to make that happen from a financial perspective. And as also noted, who knows if he was the least bit interested in coming here in the first place.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #56
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lehner had an incredible season and I am excited to see what he can prove in Chicago.

David Rittich also had a pretty good season himself, and is showing huge promise for the Flames. He may not have the flashy name, but his career GAA is just shy of Carey Price's 1st 3 years in the league (while we're loosely comparing goalies to Price).

Lehner could be great for the Flames, but I didn't have much of an issue with Rittich in net on this team. A capable backup as the young goaltender hits bumps along the way was the biggest stress in net - not necessarily a whole new plan in net.

Playoffs excluded, my problem in net was more with the dead-simple stops that weren't being made - more than the insane stops that you needed to change the game.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #57
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Let’s be honest here - if you could work in Chicago or calgary which one would you choose? I’d have to think for a financial/tax perspective Chicago is better for the player.

[...]

Canada and Calgary, please and thank you.

I'll take the (honestly, mindbogglingly significant) loss in taxes over living in that violent cesspool of racism and bigotry.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #58
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Canada and Calgary, please and thank you.

I'll take the (honestly, mindbogglingly significant) loss in taxes over living in that violent cesspool of racism and bigotry.
I am so happy that Canada has no racism or bigotry.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #59
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I am so happy that Canada has no racism or bigotry.
There have been 250 homicides in 2019 in Chicago. Mostly young black men.

Mostly gang related and in rough areas of the city, but I would have no interest living in a city with issues that large.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #60
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
There have been 250 homicides in 2019 in Chicago. Mostly young black men.

Mostly gang related and in rough areas of the city, but I would have no interest living in a city with issues that large.
Canada is full of racism and bigotry, which was more my point.

I didn't mention murder in my post, because obviously the US has a lot of gun control issues. But Canada isn't great in that department either (Obviously much better than the US), but for example as per wiki..... Murders per capita in NYC is 7 per 100,000 and in Winnipeg it's 5 per 100,000.

edit - Chicago is terrible at 15.65 per 100,000.

also, don't get me started on healthcare, especially as a millionaire. Miles ahead in the US.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote