Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #5081
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

I knew it was Slava! Even when it was the NDP I knew it was Slava!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #5082
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I knew it was Slava! Even when it was the NDP I knew it was Slava!
I don't think that you're being overly helpful here. I would come out stronger against you here, but I'm not the one with a bronze Chairman Mao in my office and I'm not sure what price I could end up paying for that!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #5083
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Fully expecting bad news on Keystone today.

Care to share what you’re seeing/hearing?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #5084
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Care to share what you’re seeing/hearing?
I think it's in relation to today being the day the judge in Montana hears from the environmentalists seeking to block the project.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #5085
DiracSpike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah today is the hearing day, I can't find any info on whether a decision is getting made today too, kinda frustrating. Thinking more about it I guess any kind of decision would be a few days later depending on how long it takes this judge to hear all the evidence. My pessimism though is based on this being the same ass hat judge that blocked the pipeline almost a year ago, and TC was starting pre-construction activities in Montana and South Dakota earlier this month before announcing they were stopping completely two days ago. Let's all hope for good news though, for all the talk about tMX KXL carries 33% more crude and will be key for what I think will be an increasingly important relationship between Alberta Saskatachewan and the US heartland and Gulf coast area.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #5086
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Bellatrix is up for sale as part of a court supervised restructuring.

My company also did round 5 of layoffs recently. Spread between HQ and our field locations and for the first time reached into the US where activity has begun to drop off. Fortunately my group was not touched this time.
Bellatrix would have been put into full bankruptcy a while ago if it wasn't for Redwater.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #5087
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think that you're being overly helpful here. I would come out stronger against you here, but I'm not the one with a bronze Chairman Mao in my office and I'm not sure what price I could end up paying for that!
Shenanigans! You cant point to that! It was a plant!
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #5088
skudr248
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question for you guys - anybody have any knowledge or experience what happens to contractors during a company sale, does the new company usually retain the contractor or make them employee?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #5089
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Question for you guys - anybody have any knowledge or experience what happens to contractors during a company sale, does the new company usually retain the contractor or make them employee?
The first to be let go due to redundancy.

Depends on the shops though. If you are going from a contractor heavy company to a low to no contractor company they will maybe offer you an employee position. But really when companies merge/are acquired there is a lot of fat to get rid of and contractors are easy targets.

Last edited by Weitz; 10-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #5090
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Dude, if you actually believe that is/was the case then you really don't understand what the issues are/were with the current state of these large projects.

The Liberals certainly haven't been the greatest friend to the Alberta O&G industry (that I'm a 16 yr veteran of), but make no mistake, much of the problems we are still experiencing had their foundations laid by the previous Conservative Government, and none of those projects were anywhere near the finish line 4 years ago.
This is so completely wrong, that if you actually believe this, then you really don't understand what the issues are with the current state of these large projects.

Consider the fact that John Horgan knew that his legal challenges to the pipeline were illegal. This is because once a pipeline crosses provincial boundaries, it is considered to be under federal jurisdiction. Makes sense, right? There's also a little known document called the Constitution that clearly stipulates that federal jurisdiction supercedes provincial. Thus, John Horgan knew he had no legal standing, but continued to file court claims at higher and higher levels of the justice system, that he knew he would lose, just to continue stalling the project and create project uncertainty, such that investors would back out (which is what happened).

Now, what role did the Liberal Federal Government play in this? Trudeau is well within his rights as PM to refer the case and expedite the process directly to the Supreme Court. This would have eliminated months and months of uncertainty on the issue. He refused to do this because then he would have to take a side on the issue, something that he simply would not do.

So I guess you could split hairs here and say: maybe the Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau didn't do anything to hurt the projects (I'd argue against this as well), but the lack of leadership they have shown towards protecting Canada's interests because of the possibility of political recourse is nothing short of disgraceful.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ThePrince For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #5091
OldDutch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trudeau and the Libs did what they try and do a lot of lately. Play both sides of the fence.

Unfortunately, this one can't be played this way. At some point you have to pony up and push it or kill it.

Playing the middle has let it twist in the wind. Which to me is equal to letting it die a slow death.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #5092
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
This is so completely wrong, that if you actually believe this, then you really don't understand what the issues are with the current state of these large projects.

Consider the fact that John Horgan knew that his legal challenges to the pipeline were illegal. This is because once a pipeline crosses provincial boundaries, it is considered to be under federal jurisdiction. Makes sense, right? There's also a little known document called the Constitution that clearly stipulates that federal jurisdiction supercedes provincial. Thus, John Horgan knew he had no legal standing, but continued to file court claims at higher and higher levels of the justice system, that he knew he would lose, just to continue stalling the project and create project uncertainty, such that investors would back out (which is what happened).

Now, what role did the Liberal Federal Government play in this? Trudeau is well within his rights as PM to refer the case and expedite the process directly to the Supreme Court. This would have eliminated months and months of uncertainty on the issue. He refused to do this because then he would have to take a side on the issue, something that he simply would not do.

So I guess you could split hairs here and say: maybe the Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau didn't do anything to hurt the projects (I'd argue against this as well), but the lack of leadership they have shown towards protecting Canada's interests because of the possibility of political recourse is nothing short of disgraceful.
So why can’t the courts not then say sorry can’t file that challenge it is illegal?(basically how can he be allowed to file an illegal challenge shouldn’t it be immediately not allowed to even reach the court) honest question as I don’t understand how it works
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #5093
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post

I agree with you on that particular challenge and the games that Horgan was/is playing to delay things. But how do you think they should have dealt with the FCA decision that actually stopped things?
Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #5094
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought this was the Layoffs thread...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #5095
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I thought this was the Layoffs thread...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Sometimes conversations meander.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #5096
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They should layoff the meandering conversation.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #5097
My2Cents
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I came in here terrified that I had missed several posts on all the horrible layoffs. Consider me glad we are only debating politics here and not talking about numbers of people jobless.
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #5098
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

North River did some layoffs the last couple days, about 4 or so is what I heard.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #5099
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree with you on that particular challenge and the games that Horgan was/is playing to delay things. But how do you think they should have dealt with the FCA decision that actually stopped things?
In my opinion, it's pretty crazy that the burden of the duty to consult is so high for a pipeline that is literally a twin of an already existing pipeline. It shouldn't have even gotten to that point with NEB approval, which it already had.

Do I blame that on the Federal government? Not directly, but I think the government (whether Conservative or Liberal, I don't necessarily blame Trudeau here) has done a terrible job at setting guidelines and expectations for project approvals.

No sane investor using shareholder money is going to invest billions of dollars into a project when no one has any idea what is needed to get that project approved. Again, is that directly Trudeau's fault? No, but the government has done nothing but introduce more uncertainty into the process and continually move the goal posts of what is required and this has eroded current and future investment. Bill C-69 is a prime example of this, and has Trudeau's fingerprints all over it.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote