Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #5761
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Is there a general rule for how long (years) you should use winter tires before replacing them? This will be the 6th winter with my Firestone winter tires but I just checked the tread and they're all around 6/32 left.
Depending on how they're stored 6-8 years for a set of tires max. Problem is the rubber starts to get harder.

Just try them and if they don't feel soft and effective still I'd get new ones
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #5762
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Depending on how they're stored 6-8 years for a set of tires max. Problem is the rubber starts to get harder.

Just try them and if they don't feel soft and effective still I'd get new ones
When not on the car they've been stored in my basement. I'd rather not buy another set right now because I have a lot of other life expenses coming up in the next few months, although Canadian Tire has some Goodyear Nordics on for $330 after mail in rebate....

Edit - apparently Transport Canada says they should be replaced if get to 5/32. Since I'm basically there I may as well bite the bullet and get a new set.

Last edited by shane_c; 10-05-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Update
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 AM   #5763
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Anyone recommend a good car starter installer?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #5764
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Anyone recommend a good car starter installer?
https://www.simplystructured.ca/

Went here on a reccommendation from CP here. Great work. Only downside is that's it's in the middle of nowhere so be prepared to hang out there for the duration of the install, depending on where you live / work.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #5765
InglewoodFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Is there a general rule for how long (years) you should use winter tires before replacing them? This will be the 6th winter with my Firestone winter tires but I just checked the tread and they're all around 6/32 left.
I got caught out on this this fall. Put on my winters to the third car that my kid uses, the tires had 8 winters on a car that maybe gets 10k a year on it. Front end was shimmying like crazy, checked lug nuts and wheel weights looked good. Took it in to my mechanic, and it turns out the belts were delaminating despite the tread still being decent. 2010 date code on the tires, so I was living on borrowed time.

New set of X-Ices for the kid for his second winter driving is probably not a bad thing.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #5766
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swung by a Chev dealer in Edmonton this afternoon to check out the new 2020 HD trucks.

They no longer offer one that doesn't have a bunch of ugly chrome on the front. I thought we were finally getting past this ffs.

Guess it's definitely back to Ford for my next truck
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #5767
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be the 2022 edition

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #5768
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Swung by a Chev dealer in Edmonton this afternoon to check out the new 2020 HD trucks.

They no longer offer one that doesn't have a bunch of ugly chrome on the front. I thought we were finally getting past this ffs.
Make them wrap all the chrome in a vinyl of your choice as part of the deal. Body colour or a semi-gloss brushed aluminum finish would probably look a lot better than the blind-them-with-chrome theme they have going on.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #5769
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Make them wrap all the chrome in a vinyl of your choice as part of the deal. Body colour or a semi-gloss brushed aluminum finish would probably look a lot better than the blind-them-with-chrome theme they have going on.
I was just so happy that all the truck manufacturers are finally offering fully loaded models with no Chrome. They had them for 1/2 trucks for a few years now but now they even have them on heavy duties. Ford offers the lariat sport pack now even on diesels, Ram has Laramie sport even though I'll never get another Dodge. And I've posted pics of my chev I bought this winter and the grill and bumper are body colour from the factory. So I was excited about all these manufacturers finally having their heads on straight when it comes to the front end of all these trucks with aluminum foil, and then sure enough they go right back to it.

I tend to jump back and forth between Chevy and Ford now anyway so whatever but it's just annoying that they're that out of touch

Last edited by btimbit; 10-10-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #5770
Canadianman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is why I love my 2014 f150 fx4. Not a spot of chrome on it. Glorious
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #5771
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I swapped on my winter tires over the weekend and was an idiot and lost the lug nut key for one of my vehicles. I've looked everywhere for it and can't find it - I think I must have accidentally left it on the final wheel when I was doing a change and it fell off when I drove it to put air in the tires. Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) Is this something a dealership can fix? Or will they just charge me a crazy amount and possibly damage something? I looked on YouTube and it looks like you can DIY this with a 12-point socket that is just slightly too small for the lug - anyone try this?

2) Once I get the locking lug nuts off, can I just buy 4 new lug nuts and put them on? Or is it bad to have different lug nuts on each wheel? Would I need to buy a full set of 20 to replace them? I bought the vehicle used and cannot find non-locking lugs anywhere

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #5772
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So I swapped on my winter tires over the weekend and was an idiot and lost the lug nut key for one of my vehicles. I've looked everywhere for it and can't find it - I think I must have accidentally left it on the final wheel when I was doing a change and it fell off when I drove it to put air in the tires. Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) Is this something a dealership can fix? Or will they just charge me a crazy amount and possibly damage something? I looked on YouTube and it looks like you can DIY this with a 12-point socket that is just slightly too small for the lug - anyone try this?

2) Once I get the locking lug nuts off, can I just buy 4 new lug nuts and put them on? Or is it bad to have different lug nuts on each wheel? Would I need to buy a full set of 20 to replace them? I bought the vehicle used and cannot find non-locking lugs anywhere

Thanks in advance!
What's the vehicle?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #5773
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should be able to find standard lug nuts for any vehicle. Anyone with locking wheel nuts should throw them away the next time they change their wheels, unless you live in Compton. Worse than useless around here, I have no idea why anyone would use them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #5774
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post

Thanks in advance!
If it’s a factory OEM wheel lock, the ID tag should be either in the glovebox or more appropriately, with the spare tire jack equipment.

If not, take it to a decent tire shop, throw the guys $50 and they’ll use a hammer on type socket to remove the locking set and replace with a standard one. Generally speaking, make sure the thread, seat type and head size are the same. If your truck takes a 22mm cap type, get some OE ones.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #5775
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's the vehicle?
2015 Venza
Old 10-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #5776
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the same thing. I went to Toyota and bought a new one. there are only about 8 or something different keys. at least for Toyota’s You could alternatively go to the dealer if they have one and borrow it to replace the lug nuts. I am honestly not sure what if stealing tires is a big thing anymore. I would probably be more worried about somebody loosening all of the lug nuts before realizing they don’t have the key, and they just leave.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #5777
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

People will steal your wheels and tires if you don't have locks. Especially on newer trucks and SUVs where your fancy looking wheels would look slick on older models. Every once in a while you see a car on rotors sitting on the dealer lot because they didn't put wheel locks on at the factory.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #5778
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
People will steal your wheels and tires if you don't have locks. Especially on newer trucks and SUVs where your fancy looking wheels would look slick on older models. Every once in a while you see a car on rotors sitting on the dealer lot because they didn't put wheel locks on at the factory.
I have never ever seen this happen or heard of anyone who had their wheels stolen in Canada. In a dealer lot? I dunno, maybe. I just can't imagine being so paranoid as to worry about my wheels being stolen.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #5779
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

People even steal the under bed spares off pickups. $70 wheels locks or shell out $4k for new wheels from the dealer. Especially on luxury cars and SUVs you're just asking for trouble.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #5780
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Yeah, I swapped out my locking lug nuts for non-lockers on one of my cars earlier this year. They are nothing but a hassle and I have zero concerns about my wheels being stolen. I'm sure it happens, but not to the extent you need to take any preventative measures.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote