Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Given the knowledge that a tip out exists if you go to a restaurant and don't tip enough to cover tip out you are stealing from this person.

If you are gleefully unaware of how the restaurant industry works than you just are ignorant and should educate yourself.

If you speings1 someone over a lack of ranch dressing and they have to pay to serve you you are stealing from them.
I have to say, I'm not nearly as familiar with the tip-out as I thought I was and I worked in restaurants for a while. My how things have changed.

You paid your tipout out of what you were tipped, not the bill, so if you didnt get tipped anything nobody gets tipped anything.

I'm struggling with this right now because I've typically been a (admittedly naively) generous tipper.

But at my usual haunts prices are going up, I know wages are going up and to be my usual tipper is getting more and more expensive and I've been having to cut back a fair bit.

Because as the price is going up that 15%-20% tip is getting pretty big.

I dont want to become a cheap tipper but its beginning to look unavoidable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why on earth did Alberta go to a high minimum wage where tips weren't counted towards that minimum wage? Is the restaurant server lobby strong in Alberta? That just doesn't make any sense to me.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #23
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If you've decided that servers were making exactly the right amount of money before, what you should do is figure out the number of clients a server has per hour, divide $5 by that number (or weigh your contribution to their gross salse), and reduce your tip by that amount. Your math only works if servers make roughly half of their income from tips.
Your math is a bit off. You should only reduce the percentage of the tip that goes to the server by the amount you calculated (if you've decided they were paid appropriately before) since they will still have tip out no matter what you tip.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #24
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Go Aussie style. Get a bunch of numbers, have people order at the bar, just have runners to deliver food to the numbers...Eliminate tipping altogether. Get rid of 2/3rds of the front of house. 😉
So become a fast casual restaurant? Surprising no one has thought of that yet, I bet it would be popular.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
So become a fast casual restaurant? Surprising no one has thought of that yet, I bet it would be popular.
Nando's!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I have to say, I'm not nearly as familiar with the tip-out as I thought I was and I worked in restaurants for a while. My how things have changed.

You paid your tipout out of what you were tipped, not the bill, so if you didnt get tipped anything nobody gets tipped anything.

I'm struggling with this right now because I've typically been a (admittedly naively) generous tipper.

But at my usual haunts prices are going up, I know wages are going up and to be my usual tipper is getting more and more expensive and I've been having to cut back a fair bit.

Because as the price is going up that 15%-20% tip is getting pretty big.

I dont want to become a cheap tipper but its beginning to look unavoidable.

Ya to be honest as prices go up and we know wages have gone up it is my opinion that tips will go down to the 10% or lower and no one should feel any shame for that. If someone is losing money due to tip out then those places should change their system. The other option is to just not go out anymore which a lot of people will start doing because of the price.

For me I have significantly cut back my dining out. Especially with things like skip the dishes and such that allow for delivery from a lot of places if I don’t want to cook that’s a far better option.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #27
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what's the consensus now?

If I used to tip 15%, can I drop that to 10% with the increase to minimum wage? 5%?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I never worked in a kitchen (line cook/dishwasher) where we got one red cent from tip outs, but that was in the 80s.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #29
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
But if on a $500 bill the group throws in bills and one guy is real cheap and there is only $510 the server is out 15-30 bucks depending on tip out.

But yes increasing your tip only goes to the waitress though anyone who tips less than 6% or so to cover tip outs is a legitimately horrible person.
Quote:
Given the knowledge that a tip out exists if you go to a restaurant and don't tip enough to cover tip out you are stealing from this person.

If you are gleefully unaware of how the restaurant industry works than you just are ignorant and should educate yourself.

If you speings1 someone over a lack of ranch dressing and they have to pay to serve you you are stealing from them.

The way I see it is, if someone truly earned that 0% tip, not just for some minor slight like only bringing 4 instead of 5 ranch sides, but truly sucked at the whole series of it and the food was bad. Well then they deserve zero, they can take it up with their manager and back of the house, this person will quickly realize they are a crap server and move to another vocation freeing up that server spot for someone who isn't crap.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What other industry expects their patrons to know the intricacies of their business practises, and then shames them if they don't?

People are there to have a nice meal and a nice time...forcing patrons to be part of these mystical financial gymnastics is the complete opposite of what a customer-focused experience at a restaurant should be.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #31
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What other industry expects their patrons to know the intricacies of their business practises, and then shames them if they don't?

People are there to have a nice meal and a nice time...forcing patrons to be part of these mystical financial gymnastics is the complete opposite of what a customer-focused experience at a restaurant should be.
agreed, unless they start posting something on the bill telling us the tip out and what percent goes where. Or allow me to say what percent goes where, food was terrific but service was meh, then 90% of my tip goes to the chef!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
The way I see it is, if someone truly earned that 0% tip, not just for some minor slight like only bringing 4 instead of 5 ranch sides, but truly sucked at the whole series of it and the food was bad. Well then they deserve zero, they can take it up with their manager and back of the house, this person will quickly realize they are a crap server and move to another vocation freeing up that server spot for someone who isn't crap.
I agree with you but I hate that it is the guests job to essentially conduct performance reviews.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

An industry where you are expected to tip in the first place. No tipping would be a much better model but people are still price sensitive so unless it was legislated it's not feasible. So if you are going against a cultural norm (tipping 15-18%) the obligation is on you to understamd why that norm exists and understand the consequences of violating said norm.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think tips should be based on the roll of a die!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
You should be taking it up with their manager if it means that much to you. If the guy bagging groceries does a poor job you don't punish him you punish the company. Same with the vast majority of interactions you have. And if the food was bad how is that the servers fault. You only punish them because of the tip out. The management of the restaurant determines the quality of your experience in the way they train and expect their servers to perform.

Using tipping as an evaluation of performance is an awful practice. I'm settling in to a flat rate 8-10% depending on style of restaurant regardless of quality.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #36
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You should be taking it up with their manager if it means that much to you. If the guy bagging groceries does a poor job you don't punish him you punish the company. Same with the vast majority of interactions you have. And if the food was bad how is that the servers fault. You only punish them because of the tip out. The management of the restaurant determines the quality of your experience in the way they train and expect their servers to perform.

Using tipping as an evaluation of performance is an awful practice. I'm settling in to a flat rate 8-10% depending on style of restaurant regardless of quality.
Isn't that exactly what this industry is forcing us to do? That's the entire point, they decided they aren't going to pay their staff enough so they have passed that roll on to us of evaluating and paying their employee based on performance. The good servers make tips, are happy and stay. The bad servers make no tips, feel sadness, and leave.

Anyway, now they are paid a 'living wage', thanks to the NDP. So giving 0% tip for complete crap service is fine. I've been shifting my tipping down, used to give 20% for good service, now I'm at 10% for good service, 8% usually given.

add: don't get me wrong here, I'm not some cheap a-hole who loves screwing servers out of tips and laughing about how they paid for my meal. I eat out a lot and I find 99.9% of servers to be acceptable or better, either they are friendly and it makes up for a couple mistakes. Or maybe they chat less but nail my order and timing. The times I have left zero tip for a server I can count on one hand and still have most my fingers left. My point is we shouldn't be held hostage to pay a 'gratuity' if it was truly horrible service all around. If more people felt comfortable dropping the tip percent right down for bad service then the problem servers would be gone.

Last edited by Swarly; 01-23-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: adding
Old 01-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #37
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
My dad's restaurant, we used to tip out 3.5%. When he sold it, and I awkwardly stuck around for a few months, they bumped it up to 5%.
Thanks, do you know how it was distributed?
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #38
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that so many people are adjusting their tips with the minimum wage, simply because I highly doubt people were previously asking their servers whether or not they were being paid minimum wage and then tipping accordingly. I can understand lowering your tip based on affordability relative to the cost of the service, but there is no magical formula to determine what a person should be tipped relative to their wage. It’s (almost)always optional, when you go on vacation somewhere out of province how many people tip according to the local minimum wage?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #39
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's what I loved about Asia and the South Pacific countries - no tipping required. Everyone in the industry makes a living wage as is. It's so much easier and efficient.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #40
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
#### off. The restaurant is stealing from the person. Literally robbing Peter to pay Paul.

EDIT: It isn't being "gleefully unaware" of how the system works. It's a broken system. There's one price on the bill you are obligated to pay, everything else is added on at my discretion. If that isn't enough to pay the staff, that isn't my problem. I could put $0 and if that results in a person not getting paid enough, that is their employers fault and should be their problem, not mine.
I disagree. You might not be gleefully unaware of our system, but you're definitely ignoring it. If tipping wasn't normal staff would be paid more and prices on the menu would be higher. So you'd be paying more one way or another. Sliding by with your attitude gives you a deal no one else gets. It's not really fair. If you have a problem with the service or product that's one thing. But to just wander into a restaurant and not tip as a rule is totally cheap and not fair to anyone.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: