Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #4061
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Starting to see articles about brands owned by diversified gun/ammo manufacturers, with the intent of targeting those brands for boycotts.

Eg:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/02/...the-gun-lobby/
Good to know
Old 02-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #4062
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Starting to see articles about brands owned by diversified gun/ammo manufacturers, with the intent of targeting those brands for boycotts.

Eg:

I don't participate in boycotts but this is one I could get behind. If I bought guns, which I don't.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #4063
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don't participate in boycotts but this is one I could get behind. If I bought guns, which I don't.
I guess you didn't read the article then?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #4064
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Eg:

Doubt a boycott of Vista would go very far in hurting their bottom line. More than half of their brands are related to firearms accessories and ammunition manufacturing and if past fundraising trends are an indication, the firearms community rallying to support those businesses would be a significant offset to lost revenues.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #4065
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Its always sobering to see these charts.

Spoiler!
You know what really stinks? We should be concerned that we're 12x higher than Japan, or 5x higher than Britain. Instead we're just smug that we're 8x better than USA.

Sure, our rate is obviously propped up by a giant porous border with USA, but it's still outrageously high.

Last edited by SebC; 02-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #4066
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
You know what really stinks? We should be concerned that we're 12x higher than Japan, or 5x higher than Britain. Instead we're just smug that were 8x better than USA.

Sure, our rate is obviously propped up by a giant porous border with USA, but it's still outrageously high.
Sort of thing a wall might fix
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #4067
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
You know what really stinks? We should be concerned that we're 12x higher than Japan, or 5x higher than Britain. Instead we're just smug that were 8x better than USA.

Well to be fair, our higher rate reasoning likely doesn't extend much past sharing a giant porous border with the USA. The amount of guns that sneak over our border is insane.

I guess tightening up our border may actually become a thing. In the past I always thought if our border stiffened up it would be from a paranoid America, but these days I think it may actually be in Canada's best interest to initiate.

Thing is, the relatively free flowing nature of crossing our border is a huge part of both country's economies, so there would be reluctance from both sides, imo.

Last edited by jayswin; 02-21-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #4068
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

What is the 0.48/100k actually showing? Because it’s not the homicide rate (1.68/100k) and it’s not the firearm homicide rate (0.61/100k). The British homicide rate was also higher than what that graph shows

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 02-21-2018 at 04:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #4069
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

So the general consensus today from that meeting was more guns, and more guns in schools?

You gotta be friggin kidding me. That country is completely lost.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #4070
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
So the general consensus today from that meeting was more guns, and more guns in schools?

You gotta be friggin kidding me. That country is completely lost.
The should have a purge-style culling. Once per year, they print the names and addresses of people who own assault weapons and make it legal for others with assault weapons to shoot them.

I am sure you would see a much more willing call for restrictions.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #4071
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn do I love Patton Oswalt.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #4072
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Dinesh D'Souza is a convicted felon who can't even own a gun, so why does he even care about gun control? Because he's a loudmouth attention whore, like Ann Coulter. Glad to hear his insensitivity is costing him gigs, which is all he cares about.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #4073
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing US Mass Shooting Thread

Hundreds line courthouse stepshttps://www.wptv.com/news/region-indian-river-county/gun-control-rally-in-vero

Another rally for what it’s worth.

All this talk of helping mentally ill people is good, and we need to do that. There is , however, no real treatment for psychopathology.

I assume a psychopath wouldn’t be suicidal, as so many of these shooters have been.

Those are the people that really scare me.

Students punished for anti-gun
walkoutshttps://www.wptv.com/news/national/students-across-the-country-punished-for-joining-parkland-students-in-anti-gun-walkout

Last edited by missdpuck; 02-21-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #4074
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/966500059499069442
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #4075
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look.

If Trump even opens the door a crack, this is a huge win.

Ban on bump stocks. Increased background checks. Minimum age to buy guns.

Those are all steps in the right direction.

I would hope that even his most outspoken critics would agree and give him credit if/when those happen.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #4076
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Look.

I would hope that even his most outspoken critics would agree and give him credit if/when those happen.
Are those steps in the right direction? Sure, I agree with that.

But nothing will happen unless the NRA gives it's blessing, which it has already done with bump stocks.

The thing is Trump (and the GOP) will talk about everything except one thing: banning guns. In fact, today when talking to victims and their families he even mentioned that there should be MORE guns. In schools. That is the exact opposite of a step in the right direction.

So until there is actually constructive discussion about banning certain guns, the guy who accepted more than 30 million from the NRA won't get too much credit from me. He'll try to do whatever he can that the NRA will green light that will skirt around the real issue without actually doing anything about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #4077
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Look.

Wow, this is like giving Trump credit for getting through a speech without insulting half the world or ####ting his own pants. Credit for what exactly?

Ban on bump stocks was already in the works after Las Vegas. This was done without Comacho’s input or blessing. No credit there.

Increased background checks? This is meaningless without details. It is unlikely that you are going to see any change to the system. To do so would require great expense and investment in connecting dissimilar databases that the NRA has worked extremely hard to keep separate. That’s just the cold harsh reality of the system and how it is set up.

A minimum age to buy guns already exists. Try changing that age and watch it get challenged in court, all the way to the Supreme Court. No way are the age restrictions changing, not when a kid can enter the armed services at 18 and be expected to carry a gun in defense of his country, but not own one, as outlined in the second amendment. Not going to happen.

As usual, Trump is all talk, but when reality sets in it is highly unlikely that anything with change. In fact, gun restrictions will continue to ease. Bump stocks may disappear, but universal concealed carry is on the way as is access to suppressors and other restricted weapons. The uniformed will be happy with the “win” on bump stocks, but will soon be outraged as more restricted weapons become available for sale without a tax stamp or extended background, and carrying them concealed will be extended across the nation. One step forward, a dozen steps back. Oh, but that President Camacho!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #4078
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting responses.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #4079
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
There are some excerpts from that hall that are pretty great. This father who lost his daughter in the shooting crushes him.

There's a lot of visceral from the crowd.

Last edited by Coach; 02-22-2018 at 12:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #4080
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era
In fact, gun restrictions will continue to ease. Bump stocks may disappear, but universal concealed carry is on the way as is access to suppressors and other restricted weapons. The uniformed will be happy with the “win” on bump stocks, but will soon be outraged as more restricted weapons become available for sale without a tax stamp or extended background, and carrying them concealed will be extended across the nation. One step forward, a dozen steps back. Oh, but that President Camacho!
The thing with the HPA (removing suppressors from the NFA requirements), is that the only thing it really changes is the need to go through the tax stamp process and the FBI/BATF background check. People would still be getting a NICS check to get one and the states that have currently banned them are not forced to reverse that ban.

If opponents the bill could actually show that suppressors make firearms more dangerous or that there are tons of crimes being committed with them, there might be a case to keep the restrictions in place, but they can't do either of those. The bill is a prime case where if facts were looked at, there would be nothing supporting the current restrictions.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, there is no other bill tabled right now that proposed to reduce the restrictions on NFA (restricted) firearms or devices. As far as I know, there has been no legislative push to remove the requirements on FA/SBR/SBS firearms.
Closed Thread