Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Currently no one's property so I just deleted him from the UFA list.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #42
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny Boychuk is done, Montreal loses their best dman!

https://www.tsn.ca/eye-injury-ends-n...reer-1.1556345
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #43
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

How does the league handle LTIRetirements?
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #44
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Traditionally we haven't retired them because most of the time it isn't totally clear if they are done or not.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense that he plays out the year, do to LITR. He's going to disappear from the ratings grid next year, so enjoy it while you can.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #46
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Traditionally we haven't retired them because most of the time it isn't totally clear if they are done or not.
How is the NHL team saying "Johnny Boychuk’s career has come to an end" not totally clear

Isn't this why we have penalties on signing UFA's
Old 11-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #47
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL situation has made this more confusing than it used to be. We used to rely on some sort of specific use of the word "retire" but now players are done, but don't retire, because instead they are placed on LTIR. So we've generally allowed those players to remain active, but their ratings take the hit going forward. That's what was done with Savard, Horton, Hossa, and others in the past.

I'm totally open to how to make this less ambiguous. But that's what creating the confusion, and generally where we try to draw upon how we've handled in the past.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #48
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one announced today

https://www.tsn.ca/st-louis-blues-fo...jury-1.1565456

Alex Steen retires
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #49
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The NHL situation has made this more confusing than it used to be. We used to rely on some sort of specific use of the word "retire" but now players are done, but don't retire, because instead they are placed on LTIR. So we've generally allowed those players to remain active, but their ratings take the hit going forward. That's what was done with Savard, Horton, Hossa, and others in the past.

I'm totally open to how to make this less ambiguous. But that's what creating the confusion, and generally where we try to draw upon how we've handled in the past.
If a player is retired, he's retired. I don't see what the difference is all of a sudden. The only difference then with the players mentioned above is that they didn't announce they were retired

The list of guys in our league that are retired that are still allowed to be on rosters is growing. If the rules were applied teams would be forced to make trades and changes to restructure theirs.

There are even buy-out penalties that can be enforced, one of the things that should be considered when handing out UFA 1 way contracts.

We may be backing ourselves in a corner when we choose to enforce rules after turning the other way to others
Old 12-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #50
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

My opinion for what it's worth.

If we aren't sure if a player is done aka has not announced retirement, I think there should be an option like a Byfuglien to put him on the IR. A team shouldn't be penalized for an indecision and lack of retirement announcement.

If he retires like Boychuk or Steen, I think they come off the roster. Not sure how Boychuk is considered anything other than retired.

Those are my two cents.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #51
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are these guys formally retired in the eyes of the NHL or are they going on LTIR with retirement officially effective when their contracts are up? The argument could be made that until they are officially retired by the NHL/PA they have just announced their retirement effective at the end of their contract.

I think we also need to consider this year as an anomaly. Our alignment with the NHL is so out to lunch that we are seeing the NHL pre-season retirements come out now, half way through our season.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #52
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion Lou Lamoriello and a few other keen NHL GM's muddied the water on these issues with their antics to get around salary cap.

Vets are getting longer NHL contracts that would count against the salary cap if they were to retire. So GMs are working out agreements that said player can stay on the IR rather than retire or even rather than play in some instances where they are deemed ineffective.

So we see players who would continue to try and play make side deals with the GM to move to the IR and collect their paycheck while giving their teams cap relief.

It is a win/win for player and team as the player gets their money and the team gets cap relief.

It really makes things cloudy, because the player is not officially retired but does not plan to play for the length of the contract and will retire after the current contract expires.

It is very rare that we see any NHL players with term left on their contracts flat out retire now. They move to the IR, collect their pay and call it a career after the contract is done.

Goffie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #53
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Are these guys formally retired in the eyes of the NHL or are they going on LTIR with retirement officially effective when their contracts are up? The argument could be made that until they are officially retired by the NHL/PA they have just announced their retirement effective at the end of their contract.

I think we also need to consider this year as an anomaly. Our alignment with the NHL is so out to lunch that we are seeing the NHL pre-season retirements come out now, half way through our season.
I think this season is an anomaly but I think during our off-season we should consider if we can update how we handle to better align to the realities of what's happening in the NHL.
I see two paths
- We keep the current approach, which is if the player is on LTIR they aren't retired, but they get hit hard in re-rates. This benefits GMs in some cases (they can continue to use a player this year) but it also hurts GMs in others (e.g. GMs have to keep a non retired player on their roster using up cap space - Colin Wilson, Dustin Byfuglien (bit of a different situation), etc)
- We become more liberal in our definition of retirement and if a player communicates they aren't playing any more, or accepts an off-ice position - we consider them done.

This has been a moving target and we are doing the best to be consistent in how we apply the rule. But I think it's time to figure out how to evolve it given the NHL behaviours in play. To me that's a call we can align on in the off-season.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 12-22-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #54
Knut

Exp:

What about Players that opt-out of play ? How will their rating be affected ??
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #55
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect they will get hammered but we will have to see. As a reminder, we don't do the re-rates ourselves - we use 3rd party packages to avoid any application of bias or subjectivity on our end.
So we will have to see how they handle it - and if we want to do anything above and beyond that.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #56
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deryk Engelland

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1341470939293335553
Old 12-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #57
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah he's done done - no contract, no IR. Just done.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #58
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the same concerns that all of the others are raising. I think stability for rules is also important for the league. I appreciate the leaders leading so I can just talk trash.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #59
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Ugh. There goes my top 4 (Top pairing right now, because of the Adam Pelech injury)
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #60
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry...just for clarity, why does Boychuk not retire then?
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote