Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #2681
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think this is probably your problem here. Advanced metrics are not perfect, but they sure do help to cut through the noise that is created from prejudiced and frequently out of context game-observation. But more to the point, these are the same Oilers fans who were convinced that there were seven Giordanos in their system, that Ty Rattie was a bona fide 30-goal scorer, and that Oscar Klefbom and Adam Larson are Norris calibre top-pair defensemen. This is not exactly what I would consider the best source of information.

And this is likely because you 1) have (by your own admission) not watched enough of Milan Lucic from which to make an educated assessment; 2) are basing your opinion on cynical and jaded complaints from possibly the worst hockey fans in the country; 3) have not bothered to consider—as near as I can tell—the tremendous impact that toiling away for three years in the purgatory of the worst forward group in the NHL can have on a player's own performance. The fact alone that Lucic's situation has now suddenly VERY dramatically improved would strongly suggest that he is not the same player that was floundering with an AHL lineup in Edmonton. At worst, he is no better than Neal, and the Flames are still a top-five team.
Well until a week ago Calgary fans had the same opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lucic does allot more than score. Neal not so much.
Of the two I’d take Lucic’s 5 points and intimidating physical play over Neal looking lost and making pretty much every line mate worse right now.
Quote:
Hahaha! What?
No. Lucic has been an awful boat anchor this year. He can't skate, and he can't score. He is always behind the play. His "intimidating physical presence" is decidedly muted by these rather glaring shortcomings.
Quote:
A straight-swap of Neal and Lucic would make absolutely no sense for the Flames at all. There is no benefit whatsoever.

Last edited by edslunch; 07-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #2682
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I think it’s a little from column A and little from B.

I like what Lucic brings and we would have been better off with the swap last season, but I also think Neal has good rebound potential.

Kind of mixed feelings.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #2683
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames trade Neal for Lucic (Oilers retain 12.5%) and conditional 2020 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Well until a week ago Calgary fans had the same opinion:
You are absolutely right, and at the time of the trade I hated it. But since seeing Bingo's breakdown after digging into the numbers in some greater depth, it seems that Lucic is not nearly as bad a player as I had assumed.

I still don't like this deal, but in the end it is not nearly as bad as I at first imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-26-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #2684
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From my standpoint the argument for Lucic isn't that he is a good player, it's that Neal is just worse than Lucic. I'll be honest prior to last season I didn't think that was possible, but then came Neal and he looked terrible right from the get go.

Lucic is the faster skater, he is better defensively, he way more physical and there offensive abilities are actually pretty comparable.

Neal has nothing left, people can hang there hat on the he wasn't a fit here excuse if they want, but fit doesn't cause your skating, hands and shot to disappear, age does. The thought that he will bounce back because he is training with Roberts this summer also doesn't fly, because he has been doing that since he was 15. He will get to skate with McDavid, well Lucic got bumped off that line because he couldn't keep up, how is the slower Neal supposed to keep up.

I honestly think there is zero chance that Neal scores 20 goals next year and I 100% believe that Lucic is the better and more complete player, even if only by a marginal amount.

If you can get the better player and save money and cap space then you did pretty good in the trade.

I also don't buy the whole argument that Lucic is buyout proof, there is short term pain in buying him for sure, but a buyout of Lucic doesn't sit on the cap (relative speaking) as long as Neal.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #2685
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
The thought that "this must have been the best deal out there" is definitely open to interpretation.

Tree made the best deal, in his opinion. He may have had two or three options for all we know, and it comes down to player evaluation. Just because this was the decision does not mean it was the "best deal out there".
Aren't all assumptions open to interpretation.

I think the fact that he settled on Lucic says there were no other options, but you're right he probably had an ugly sweetner deal or two offered to him that he walked from.

Neal and Calgary's 1st for a slightly bad contract coming back for example.

But if you want we can switch the assumption to "only viable option in Treliving's opinion"

Otherwise he would have taken another one.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #2686
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I don't know if this has been reported, but Moj from tsn1040 (Van Radio) who has connections with the Lucic family said a deal for Eriksson/Lucic was gonna happen but the Canucks ended backing out last minute and the Oilers then circled back to Calgary and got the deal done.

I'm just glad Benning came to his senses cause a conditional 3rd is not a good enough sweetener.
I'm glad too.

I'd rather have the cap space and Lucic regardless of sweetner than Ericksson on the team.

That would be the same problem. Not good enough to play top six, not suited to play bottom six.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #2687
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
You are absolutely right, and at the time of the trade I hated it. But since seeing Bingo's breakdown after digging into the numbers in some greater depth, it seems the Lucic is not nearly as bad a player as I had assumed.

I still don't like this deal, but in the end it is not nearly as bad as I at first imagined.
He repeats those numbers and it's a pretty good move, it will never be a great move.

And I was shocked too.

I don't watch Oiler games from an Oiler fan perspective. Mostly just watch them blow leads and giggle. Their fan base hated him so you assume he's playing terrible. Staples says he's a possession beast and I think "yeah right", but low and behold he was. Crazy.

He was like Derek Ryan in the first half of the season last year. Many on this site wanted him gone because he was useless, but I was arguing he was good defensively, and literally a non event player. Nothing good, nothing bad happens.

If he doesn't. If he becomes a liability then the toughness won't save him from entering Neal territory. Luckily Neal would already have been in Neal territory in Calgary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #2688
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm glad too.

I'd rather have the cap space and Lucic regardless of sweetner than Ericksson on the team.

That would be the same problem. Not good enough to play top six, not suited to play bottom six.
Eriksson can play on the bottom 6 though... he's a good 2 way forward. the issue Canuck fans have with him is production.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 PM   #2689
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Consider me officially aboard the Looch Bandwagon.

CHOO-CHOO!!!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #2690
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's just so much harder to dislike a player when they play for the Flames.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #2691
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=CalgaryFan1988;7170760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

If both guys continue to suck and the Oilers buy out Neal, they will be paying more in penalties than the Flames will with Lucic on the roster.
Wat? If they buyout Neal it's 1.9M cap hit..plus 750k if you wanna go there

Lucic is a 5.25M cap hit

Actual dollars is irrelevant for a fan
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #2692
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=dino7c;7171014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

Wat? If they buyout Neal it's 1.9M cap hit..plus 750k if you wanna go there

Lucic is a 5.25M cap hit

Actual dollars is irrelevant for a fan
So true. But there is the years thing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #2693
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes Dino, you are right.

Question though.

If Calgary retained salary and traded Lucic, are they allowed retaining up to 50 percent of what they are paying Lucic, or only up to 50 percent of the original contract?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #2694
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Yes Dino, you are right.

Question though.

If Calgary retained salary and traded Lucic, are they allowed retaining up to 50 percent of what they are paying Lucic, or only up to 50 percent of the original contract?
As demonstrated by the trade of Dubnyk to Nashville (50% retained by Edmonton) and subsequently Montreal (25% retained by Nashville), up to 50% can be retained in each transaction, but a maximum of 2 salary retained transactions are allowed on any one contract.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #2695
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like the player and fit for this team.

Neal was no longer a fit after the Carolina trade clicked so well - no one could predict that. However, Neal also did nothing to improve his situation and was given opportunities to make an impact on some lines but bombed.

All those who wanted Neal back another season have to understand there must have been more behind the scenes that we don't know. Brad is too smart and patient to move a guy out that fast after 1 season for no reason.

I wonder what kind of contract Lucic would fetch if he were a UFA this summer. 3.5M?

Found some highlights of Lucic scoring a natural hatty a few years back:

Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #2696
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Aren't all assumptions open to interpretation.

I think the fact that he settled on Lucic says there were no other options, but you're right he probably had an ugly sweetner deal or two offered to him that he walked from.

Neal and Calgary's 1st for a slightly bad contract coming back for example.

But if you want we can switch the assumption to "only viable option in Treliving's opinion"

Otherwise he would have taken another one.

Why does it have to be "only viable option"?

There are other players out there with bad contracts. Buyout was a better cap option. Neal clearly is considered the more likely team to rebound by both teams (hence the sweeteners going to Calgary.

The point being is, there was no gun to his head, and this was not the only option. He has assigned some on ice value to lucid in he trade for a period of 4 years....

Fwiw, I'm ok with the transaction, but it's not accurate to portray this as the only option. Our gm sees some value in Lucic, and time will tell if he is correct..... but it's not a free pass situation if it doesn't work out as you seem to portray it as.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #2697
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some people think way too highly of the buyout option. Like you just do it and he's gone. But you buy him out now or next summer and you're stuck with that cap penalty forever. It does screw the Flames a bit once there's only one year left on the contract and I agree the sweetener could have been a tad sweeter but unfortunately there is no more Chia. In the end Lucic addresses a weakness for a cheaper price and Neal brings less than nothing.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:23 AM   #2698
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Some people think way too highly of the buyout option. Like you just do it and he's gone. But you buy him out now or next summer and you're stuck with that cap penalty forever. It does screw the Flames a bit once there's only one year left on the contract and I agree the sweetener could have been a tad sweeter but unfortunately there is no more Chia. In the end Lucic addresses a weakness for a cheaper price and Neal brings less than nothing.
Not to mention that it isn’t the GM that buys out the player, it’s the owners. The last thing a GM probably wants to do is go to the owners and ask to buy out a player they signed.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:24 AM   #2699
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I find it fascinating that only about 1-in-5 fans have a negative view on this deal.

I bet that if this poll had been conducted, say, the day after, that figure would be a lot bigger.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #2700
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Indifferent - I get the possible motivations and rationale behind the deal but it feels like the sweetener should have been sweeter.
100% agree with the reasoning but went with "like it" as a shot of slight optimism instead - even though I disagree with the forced explanation accompanying "like it".

If Lucic is as expected, I will be disappointed in the return (would've like an unconditional 2nd or two unconditional 3rd-7th).

If Lucic changes and plays a disciplined game aside from sticking up for teammates or message sending I like this trade for the Flames.

My optimism is rooted in the fact the Oilers have been a complete gongshow where the inmates run the asylum. With a non-bush league coaching staff and some actual leadership I think he can turn it around - or I'm delusional.

Consider the below "non-intimidation" minor penalty ranks when accounting that Lucic ranked 156th in forward ice time over the span. Cutting those in half makes a huge difference on its own.

Lucic minor penalty rank among forwards, 2017-18 and 2018-19:
Cross-checking: T-5th
High-sticking: T-49th
Interference: T-15th
Slashing: T-78th

via IcyData

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-27-2019 at 01:33 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post: