Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 03:33 PM   #1901
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
There are some very optimistic fans here, if the Dallas model is so successful, why aren't more teams doing it?

I would be very interested in a poll " which year will the flames make the playoffs again"
For me atleast there's what I think they should do verse what I think they will actually do.

They will try the Dallas model. I don't think it will be successful. But that's probably what they're trying to do.

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since there is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

It should really force them to choose a path.

Last edited by traptor; 04-25-2024 at 04:03 PM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:53 PM   #1902
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
For me atleast there's what I think they should do verse what I think they will actually do.

They will try the Dallas model. I don't think it will be successful. But that's probably what they're trying to do.

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since their is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

I think the path could be chosen for them.
Backs may want to go to a cup winner.
Kadri may not want to rebuild.
Anderson could be up in the air.
Eat bread seems to be on his way out.
Markstrom seems to be packing his bags.
As well as kuzmenko and sharangovich.

We could still see a lot of players turned over even next year.

Myself love Backs but don’t want to extend him nor lose him for nothing.
Would like to re sign sharangovich, kuzmenko hard to say where he stands as far as career here, but put a good center between them you may have something.

One thing only will be a for sure next year and that will be unpredictable seas.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #1903
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post

Would like to re sign sharangovich, kuzmenko hard to say where he stands as far as career here, but put a good center between them you may have something.

One thing only will be a for sure next year and that will be unpredictable seas.
Yeah forsure. The scary part though is they have the assets in picks and cap space to haphazardly fill those holes if they really want to.

Hearing the connie interview again he says the dallas model but understands that they hit it massive on the one draft and it might take some time here.

I think it just comes down to they'll never intentionally bottom out to get a top draft pick. They're willing to end up with later picks while keeping the team somewhat competitive.
Theyll wait until players emerge from those later picks. If they get a lottery draft then great.

Feels like they're fine with being somewhere in the middle if that's how it works out but they're not okay with intentionally bottoming out even if it takes longer.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #1904
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Tanev really does like it here and he wants to chase a cup, I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that he sees signing one-year contract(s) in Calgary as his best move. Spends most of the year in his preferred locale and then gets moved for two to four months to one of the real contenders (may be impacted by how much trade protection he negotiates). There are a lot of contenders at the beginning of each season that become pretenders throughout the season. Getting traded to real contenders at the TDL may result in higher odds of getting that cup vs. signing a multi-year deal with, for example, an Ottawa.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 02:39 PM   #1905
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Will be fascinating how they approach next season since there is even more incentive with the condtinal pick to not end up in the lower middle.

The Flames were basically the worst team in the league after the TDL.

It would be a miracle for them to be middle of the pack next year.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:47 PM   #1906
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
If Tanev really does like it here and he wants to chase a cup, I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that he sees signing one-year contract(s) in Calgary as his best move. Spends most of the year in his preferred locale and then gets moved for two to four months to one of the real contenders (may be impacted by how much trade protection he negotiates). There are a lot of contenders at the beginning of each season that become pretenders throughout the season. Getting traded to real contenders at the TDL may result in higher odds of getting that cup vs. signing a multi-year deal with, for example, an Ottawa.
If Tanev's wife stayed behind in Calgary, it would make even more sense. No move in the off season.

It would be a motivator for him to sign a salary that's attractive in a trade as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:51 PM   #1907
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It would be a miracle for them to be middle of the pack next year.
I don't think it would take a miracle... but it would be unwise because being middle of the pack is exactly where they should avoid being. The aim should be greatness not middle-of-the-packness.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:41 PM   #1908
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably too soon to speculate on this but it’s the leafs so why not… it looks like the leafs are on their way to another series loss to Boston and it has been speculated that one of the “core four” would have to go if this happens again. And when you look at how fans, media and even the players themselves are reacting… it seems like Marner is the one they might kick out.

To be clear I don’t think the flames should or would be after him… don’t think that’s what the flames need or want at this point and I don’t think Conroy would be interested anyways. But I’m wondering what a Nylander trade with other teams would look like?

He’s an elite playmaker - likely one of the top 5 in the league. He plays well defensively including on the penalty kill. He has a massive cap hit ($10.9 million AAV) but he is a UFA after next season. Not sure if it’s been blown out of proportion because it’s the leafs but he has cemented a terrible reputation in the playoffs after years of poor performances.

It’s likely the leafs are not looking to retain salary since the whole idea would be to trade Marner so they can use the money on other players… either in free agency or on players acquired in the trade.

Who fits as a trade partner for Marner and what do they get back for him? I struggle to evaluate his return. Highly skilled player that is currently heavily criticized - some of which is for legitimate reasons.

Last edited by stemit14; 04-27-2024 at 10:43 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:52 PM   #1909
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Tanev and the Flames should cut an unwritten deal where he agrees to constant 1 year deals and they keep trading him for futures every year. Agree / promise him you’ll do it for like 3-4 years or something.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:09 PM   #1910
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My own attempt at some crazy Marner trades that Treliving might try… keeping in mind he likes his “proven playoff performers”.

Trade option 1:

To Washington: Mitch Marner
To Toronto: Tom Wilson + 2024 1st round pick

Toronto keeps trying to get tougher and gets a guy that has performed in the playoffs before. This will of course not work for the leafs but Treliving would give anything to get tougher. This is essentially the Simmons and Clarkson moves all over again for the leafs. The leafs also get cap relief in this deal but he is signed for 7 seasons after this one (Yikes). Washington gets out of the Tom Wilson contract early and gets Ovechkin his playmaker to get his goal scoring record across the line next season. I added a pick going to Toronto because they are taking on such a long term contract.

Trade option 2:

To Pittsburgh: Mitch Marner
To Toronto: Eric Karlsson + 2025 conditional 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs)

Pittsburgh gets a top six winger for Crosby, Letang and Malkin to keep trying with the old guard. Toronto gets an offensive defenceman to QB their powerplay. Problem for the leafs is that this does not solve the problem of having too much money tied up in too few players since Karlsson’s cap hit is roughly $10 million for 3 more years. Leafs likely bank on him LTIR-retiring after 2 years though. I added the pick going to the leafs because of the term left on the contract and because I think Marner is a more valuable player at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 11:19 PM   #1911
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't think the Leafs would want to keep him east but I could see habs and flyers being interested.

Could see Nashville, Blues, Kraken, Calgary and Utah in the West being interested, with Nashville and Utah making the most sense to me.

Nashville has cap space, could package one of saros/askarov and has some extra draft capital.

Utah has a ton of draft capital and probably wants to make a splash.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:21 PM   #1912
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Don't think the Leafs would want to keep him east but I could see habs and flyers being interested.

Could see Nashville, Blues, Kraken, Calgary and Utah in the West being interested, with Nashville and Utah making the most sense to me.

Nashville has cap space, could package one of saros/askarov and has some extra draft capital.

I'm so excited for what Utah does this summer. I think they'll make some huge splashes. It's a perfect storm of cap space, prospect talent, draft picks and a new fan base.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:31 PM   #1913
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Those are really good options. Not sure about Calgary but you never know. I could see Stamkos having an effect on the leafs decision. If they knew he would sign with them this summer, they could just go for draft picks/prospects in a Marner trade. Look at is as making room on their salary cap to sign Stamkos for 4 years at say $7 million AAV while also acquiring a 1st round pick + prospects.

Utah, Nashville and Seattle would make a lot of sense for a move like that IMO (pick/ prospects for Marner).

If LA had not used their trade capital and cap space on Dubois last year, I would say they would have been a great fit for the leafs. That exact package for Dubois would have been exactly what the leafs would want right now… and I expect both LA and Toronto would be happier right now with that. Marner too maybe.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:12 AM   #1914
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post

How does a player choose to go to a cup winner?
Kadri seems pretty committed to being here
Mang seems likely to be traded at some point… no real loss
Markstrom I believe will be traded before or at the draft
Kuzmenko and Sharangovich could be extended without long term commitments…. Still need players for a couple years
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:26 AM   #1915
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
My own attempt at some crazy Marner trades that Treliving might try… keeping in mind he likes his “proven playoff performers”.

Trade option 1:

Toronto keeps trying to get tougher and gets a guy that has performed in the playoffs before. This will of course not work for the leafs but Treliving would give anything to get tougher. This is essentially the Simmons and Clarkson moves all over again for the leafs. The leafs also get cap relief in this deal but he is signed for 7 seasons after this one (Yikes). Washington gets out of the Tom Wilson contract early and gets Ovechkin his playmaker to get his goal scoring record across the line next season. I added a pick going to Toronto because they are taking on such a long term contract.

Trade option 2:

To Toronto: Eric Karlsson + 2025 conditional 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs)

Pittsburgh gets a top six winger for Crosby, Letang and Malkin to keep trying with the old guard. Toronto gets an offensive defenceman to QB their powerplay. Problem for the leafs is that this does not solve the problem of having too much money tied up in too few players since Karlsson’s cap hit is roughly $10 million for 3 more years. Leafs likely bank on him LTIR-retiring after 2 years though. I added the pick going to the leafs because of the term left on the contract and because I think Marner is a more valuable player at this point.
The problem is Marner loves Toronto and has a NMC.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:45 AM   #1916
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

Trade option 1:

Trade option 2:

I think that first one hits Treliving's type of deal, but Karlsson has one of the most terrible contract's in the league that I think would be mostly unmovable. To deal away a talent like Marner for the back end of Karlsson's contract, I just can't see happening because there's too much chance it'll blow up in Trelivings face. I think they're missing a more assertive dirty skilled scorer on the front end. Too many guys similar who are not willing to get hands dirty. Matthews is a problem despite the 69 goals, as crazy as that seems. He gets paid so much he should play with more aggression when needed. Anyway, their team needs a bit more than than the above - defence needs more at the top, as well as goaltending. So there are a lot of patches to fill but they're slaves to their cap structure.

At the end of the day I don't know how they could have walked away from Matthews' talent but the second you have that high a percentage of the cap tied up in one guy, you have to have that guy do everything when needed, and lead by example of what's needed to be successful in the playoffs. As an identity they don't have those guys they're paying at the top, being assertive enough. You need a super guy who is assertive, speedy, and who can score. Those guys are hard to find. Treliving has looked to address that with Bertuzzi and Domi, but Bertuzzi hasn't been consistent enough and they'll walk away from him, and Domi is good as the third liner, but you need that first line talent to do the same role as Domi.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:03 AM   #1917
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Marner is as good as gone, you can pretty much guarantee it.
From what I’ve heard through 2nd hand information is he wants to move on now too and would welcome a trade to a contender with Florida being at the top of his list.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:13 AM   #1918
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am trying to imagine on what planet it would make sense for a Calgary to make a play for Marner.

He is one year from UFA, and I cannot imagine him wanting to sign long term with Calgary.

It would likely put the retool idea to rest in 2025 and force the team to rebuild once he walks.

Of course, I doubt he waives to come here in the first place.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good