Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #641
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I get a multi room home theatre receiver does that mean it should be sonos compatible?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #642
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Surprisingly, it says on "details and specs" that it is 4 ohm capable.
If I'm reading the manual correctly, the only time you need 6ohm and higher is if you're bi-amping. Then again, electrical was never my strong point.

What speakers are you running that they're 4 ohm?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #643
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
If I get a multi room home theatre receiver does that mean it should be sonos compatible?
It means you will be able to play one or more sources in one or more rooms.

It sets it up to output to multiple sets of speakers. Usually only 2-channel unless you're getting a high-end receiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sonos is basically the source (unless you're talking about the Connect Amp, in which case I'm confused as to why you're getting both).

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 11-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #644
Mattington
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Surprisingly, it says on "details and specs" that it is 4 ohm capable. I'd check on the Sony site to make sure as I don't completely trust Future Shop.
Looking through the manual I can't find anything that specifically says that 4ohm speakers are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
If I'm reading the manual correctly, the only time you need 6ohm and higher is if you're bi-amping. Then again, electrical was never my strong point.

What speakers are you running that they're 4 ohm?
The speakers game with an surround sound package I got several years ago (Logitech LH-T912SB). I would like to start upgrading the system, starting with the receiver then work my way to the speakers.
Mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #645
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
It means you will be able to play one or more sources in one or more rooms.

It sets it up to output to multiple sets of speakers. Usually only 2-channel unless you're getting a high-end receiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sonos is basically the source (unless you're talking about the Connect Amp, in which case I'm confused as to why you're getting both).
Usually receivers play no role in a Sonos system as all Sonos products are usually self contained, or provide an amp (sonos connect amp) that connects to speakers
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #646
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Usually receivers play no role in a Sonos system as all Sonos products are usually self contained, or provide an amp (sonos connect amp) that connects to speakers
Yeah that's what I assumed.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #647
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm so then maybe I dont need Sonos? I have a 2 story home, only 1340 square feet. So the main floor is fairly open concept, with 3 bedrooms upstairs. I want to try and spread out the audio in the home... could I some how use a receiver downstairs to power speakers upstairs?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #648
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
could I some how use a receiver downstairs to power speakers upstairs?
That... is exactly what a multi room/zone receiver does.

Just run the speaker wire from the receiver to the second room. Just keep in mind that depending on the receiver it will function differently. Some allow for different sources to play in each zone, some it has to be the same source. Some will put out 5.1 to additional zones, some are only 2ch.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #649
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont want to run wire tho, it's not very practical for me. Needs to be wireless.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #650
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont want to run wire tho, it's not very practical for me. Needs to be wireless.
Then multi-zone is irrelevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #651
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is looking for a great receiver at an AMAZING price - here is your chance.

FutureShop has the Sony 1040 on sale for $499, which is a crazy price for it. Last day of the sale is today!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...1d4c81f284en02

If you use MemoryExpress' price match thing, you could actually get it for $475 from them, which is ridiculous.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #652
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad it's a Sony, it's got great features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #653
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
If anyone is looking for a great receiver at an AMAZING price - here is your chance.

FutureShop has the Sony 1040 on sale for $499, which is a crazy price for it. Last day of the sale is today!

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...1d4c81f284en02

If you use MemoryExpress' price match thing, you could actually get it for $475 from them, which is ridiculous.
Anyone happen to know how the Sony 1040 would compare to the Yamaha RX-V673 ?

The RX-V673 seems to be one of the best bang for your buck receivers out there, particularly in the U.S. where I notice it's dropped another $100 to just $299 !

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673...ywords=RX-V673

It does technically do multi-zone, but you can't do HDMI over the 2nd zone, and it's 2-channel over the 2nd zone. But it does seem to be a very well reviewed 7.2 channel receiver with sound optimization (Yamaha calls their's YPAO, not sure how it compares to Audyssey sound optimization found on other receivers), and 4k support.

Here in Canada it seems like it might be possible to get it in the high $400s at the moment.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #654
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Anyone happen to know how the Sony 1040 would compare to the Yamaha RX-V673 ?

The RX-V673 seems to be one of the best bang for your buck receivers out there, particularly in the U.S. where I notice it's dropped another $100 to just $299 !

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673...ywords=RX-V673

It does technically do multi-zone, but you can't do HDMI over the 2nd zone, and it's 2-channel over the 2nd zone. But it does seem to be a very well reviewed 7.2 channel receiver with sound optimization (Yamaha calls their's YPAO, not sure how it compares to Audyssey sound optimization found on other receivers), and 4k support.

Here in Canada it seems like it might be possible to get it in the high $400s at the moment.
I would take a Yamaha over a Sony any day, but that's just my opinion (as far as longevity, sound quality goes. Features are always kinda "meh" to me as I always have an HTPC hooked up to it anyway).

Typically, in my experience:

Don't buy

Sony
Low-end Onkyo (bad capacitors)
Pioneer

Do Buy

High-end Onkyo
Denon
Yamaha
Harman/Kardon
Marantz (they make monoblocks too!)

If You Can Afford It (Monoblocks)

Emotiva
Manley Snapper
Anthem
Audiolab

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #655
Mattington
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's so bad about Sony or Pioneer receivers?
Mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #656
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sub-par sound and mediocre build quality. Especially on Sonys which typically don't last more than 3-4 years. Sony makes pretty good soundbars however, which is even more baffling to me.

I guess you could throw Samsung and Panasonic into the Don't Buy pile as well, but most of their gear is "home theatre systems" anyway and who the hell buys those?

Quote:
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #657
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sub-par sound and mediocre build quality.
I found the Elite series to be pretty decent. Other than that I'd agree. I think my next is going to be a Marantz.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #658
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

maybe someone could help me with this.

I will be moving into a house with speakers built into the ceilings throughout the house. I asked the builder how the speakers work, and he said that I would need a receiver.

I have noticed that each room has a volume control mounted on the wall next to the light switch.

I haven't taken possession yet, so I haven't had a chance to see where the wires are all wired to. I'm thinking near the electrical panel somewhere.

Since it is black friday this upcoming weekend, i'm wondering if i should take advantage of the deals, but I am not sure what I will need.

What sort of receiver would I need if I wanted to be able to stream music from my phone or ipad throughout the house? Would it only work in one zone, or coudl I have it play throughout the house?
Would the receiver have to stay in the furnace room (or wherever the speaker wires are mounted to)?

I'm thinking it would be best to hold off for a little while, and wait until I take possession so I could see how the speakers are all wired, but it doesn't hurt to do some front end researching, as I am a noob when it comes to home theatre electronics.

Thanks in advance!
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #659
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would wait on it. Usually they are run off a single receiver unit which connects to a splitter and sends the signal out to the various rooms, so you would need a receiver with multi-room functions if you wanted to still use it as a home theatre (assuming the switcher hookup is located where you plan to put your HT in the first place).

Sometimes though, there are some wacky configs that really depend on if the previous homeowner had specific uses for the speakers. Most likely it's what I posted above however.

Boxing day ain't too far away if you take possession within a month.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #660
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know anything about BIC America subs?

From the reading I've done, they are a good sub at a decent price point.

Looking at the 12" downfiring version.

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=44
http://www.amazon.ca/America-V-1220-.../dp/B0000Y2WYS
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote