Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2022, 05:06 PM   #661
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Who pays $120 a year? Just re-upped for prime and it was $79.99 plus 3 months free. So a total of 15 months.
Average cost could be less. I just did a quick google search.

Most estimates have US subscriber #s over 100 million and close to 150 million. I assume that means paying subscribers.

Kinda nuts. That almost means essentially every house hold in the US.

Quote:
Amazon’s (AMZN) Prime service now has a whopping 200 million subscribers, CEO Jeff Bezos said in his annual shareholders letter on Thursday.

That’s a jump of 50 million new subscribers in roughly a year, less than half the time it took the company to hit the same milestone in 2019.

“We have more than 200 million Prime members worldwide,” Bezos wrote in the letter, which touched on topics ranging from the company’s Amazon Web Services (AWS) to its treatment of employees. “More than 1.9 million small and medium-sized businesses sell in our store, and they make up close to 60% of our retail sales.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...142910961.html
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:19 PM   #662
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Average cost could be less. I just did a quick google search.

Most estimates have US subscriber #s over 100 million and close to 150 million. I assume that means paying subscribers.

Kinda nuts. That almost means essentially every house hold in the US.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...142910961.html
That's why I don't buy it. It doesn't make sense. What does make sense is they count each linked account as a potential Prime viewer or shopper(better for marketing, deal making etc). So many accounts will have 2 or more linked users. I don't have a problem counting viewers that way, but it doesn't mean 150 million are paying for Prime. Divide in half, at minimum.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #663
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think Bezos would lie about the paying subscriber count. But I don't think he said the US has 150 million subscribers. That was an external figure. He just said they have 200 million in total which wouldn't be that crazy as a worldwide figure.

Netflix has 200 million + subscribers, and Amazon Prime gives you much more value at less cost.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #664
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

“We have more than 200 million Prime members worldwide,”

He didn't say paying. Adding a family member to a household account would presumably make them also a Prime member.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #665
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Do they? They have The Boys, which presumably has some run left... and now this LOTR thing.
The Boys is an awesome show, but is it really that mainstream? Not sure how broad the appeal would be, so I don't know if I would consider it flagship. Man In the High Castle was promising for the first season, but it took a nose dive IMO, though I haven't watched the last/latest season yet.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:27 PM   #666
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
“We have more than 200 million Prime members worldwide,”

He didn't say paying. Adding a family member to a household account would presumably make them also a Prime member.
Perhaps, but from the media reporting on the numbers, they didn't see it that way.

Could be either way I guess.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:32 PM   #667
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps, but from the media reporting on the numbers, they didn't see it that way.

Could be either way I guess.
I mean, the alternative is to believe basically every household in the US has Prime. I don't find it surprising that Amazon would present the numbers in as flattering a way possible.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #668
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

No I think the 200 million was worldwide subscribers, and the media was grossly inflating the US subscriber counts to say it was 150 million.

I think 200 million worldwide is very believable, but like you I question 150 million US subscribers.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #669
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No I think the 200 million was worldwide subscribers, and the media was grossly inflating the US subscriber counts to say it was 150 million.

I think 200 million worldwide is very believable, but like you I question 150 million US subscribers.
As of 2020 there are only 126MM households, find it weird that 1 in 5 households would have multiple subscriptions
Old 01-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #670
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Who even pays at all? I just piggy back off of my sister’s account. In return she gets my Disney login.
This is the way
Old 01-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #671
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prime has become such garbage.

They rarely seem to manage two day delivery anymore let alone the next day they used to offer for most items. Their video offerings are third rate at best. And who even uses Amazon Music?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #672
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get that opinion. I've watched loads of good shows and movies on Prime.

Hanna
Upload
The Boys
Top Gear and Grand Tour
Yellowstone
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Fleabag
Superstore(gone now)
The Expanse

it's at least on par with Netflix, but what, half the price, and you get Prime delivery?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:08 PM   #673
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hanna
Upload
The Boys
Top Gear and Grand Tour
Yellowstone
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Fleabag
Superstore(gone now)
The Expanse

it's at least on par with Netflix, but what, half the price, and you get Prime delivery?
All great shows - I’d add Jack Ryan on there too.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #674
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Prime has a lot of very good shows, but really hasn't gotten the home run yet. I'm a little surprised that The Boys wasn't it. it was very good, it had a big flashy start that locked people in.

In addition to above, you can build out a long list of very watchable shows, that just haven't found wide cultural approval, but are there for peoples consumption.

The Wilds
Utopia
Good Omens
The Great
Invincible
X Hunters
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #675
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Upload
Finally getting season 2. March 11 2022.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #676
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think prime is a distant 3rd, behind Netflix and Crave, but is getting a bit better. And Netflix is trending down fast. It used to be head and shoulders number one. Now it is almost certainly my least used streaming service. I only put it first because they still have a strong catalog of stuff and decent movie selection.

I’m actually surprised how poor Star is on Disney. I thought their massive library of movies would keep me busy watching old favourites but the only thing I ever watch on Disney is their new content and Marvel stuff. Although they did just add the Americans, which I’d like to watch.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-25-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:23 PM   #677
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hanna
Upload
The Boys
Top Gear and Grand Tour
Yellowstone
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Fleabag
Superstore(gone now)
The Expanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Prime has a lot of very good shows, but really hasn't gotten the home run yet. I'm a little surprised that The Boys wasn't it. it was very good, it had a big flashy start that locked people in.

In addition to above, you can build out a long list of very watchable shows, that just haven't found wide cultural approval, but are there for peoples consumption.

The Wilds
Utopia
Good Omens
The Great
Invincible
X Hunters
Lots of good stuff on Prime, but you do have to dig through a fair amount of chaff.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #678
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their interface absolutely sucks as well. It is so cluttered, and they also throw in stuff that you have to extra for, so you don't know if it is part of Prime or not.

So often, I'll go to Prime and quit out of straight away, just because their interface is absolutely ####.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #679
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Their interface absolutely sucks as well. It is so cluttered, and they also throw in stuff that you have to extra for, so you don't know if it is part of Prime or not.

So often, I'll go to Prime and quit out of straight away, just because their interface is absolutely ####.
I think it sucks for all of the streaming companies. You usually can only find what they want you to watch.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #680
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Prime has the "continue watching" section at the top. Netflix moves that up and down the list all the time. Crave's is super hit and miss, and sometimes doesn't even show series you've been watching for years (Star Trek Disco is like that on mine).