Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #261
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think the BJs are just a lot better than people give them credit for. Look at that roster. Alex Wennberg is on the 4th line! They just needed time to gel and develop chemistry after the trade deadline. They also needed Bobrovsky to be good. They are big, skilled, fast, all in the prime.

I could easily see them as the cup champions.
Sure but Tampa wasn't even close...if they go 16-0 you might have a point but Tampa choked big time. No way it should have been a sweep with multiple blowouts. BJs are not that good.

A lot of revisionist history going on
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #262
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Zone entries don't usually get associated with defensive positions though.

Some lines play last guy in high guy, some lines rotate the high guy, some lines designate a high guy ... and all three have to track back and close the gaps so the defenders can step up on the rush and negate them.

So I don't really see a left or right side zone entry issue ... it's how many of the three are on their horse and how many are coasting.
Yeah I don't think you'd be able to actually find stats or data for this. I was just responding to the poster who questioned Lindholm's defensive play. I think it's just unfair to criticize Lindholm for that as we know his linemates are NOT good defensively. How much can Lindholm do?

Patrice Bergeron won't look good defensively if Marchand was cherry picking all the time. Luckily for Bergeron, Marchand is very responsible defensively.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #263
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Apparently OT losses are embarrassing
The result wasn't embarrassing. But we got totally dominated that game as well. No sense in pretending we didn't.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #264
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 04-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #265
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
This is Johnny and Mony's third trip to the postseason. The "inexperience" card can only be played for so long. I agree with you though. I doubt a significant piece gets moved.
Also Backlund, Brodie. And, albeit with other teams, Neal, Frolik, Hamonic and Smith. But that's still pretty skimpy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #266
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Also Backlund, Brodie. And, albeit with other teams, Neal, Frolik, Hamonic and Smith. But that's still pretty skimpy.
I'm just not a believer that it really matters. we aren't losing this series because of a lack of playoff experience. we are losing it because the Avs are beating us all over the rink (save for the faceoff circle).

they have to push back big time right away in the first. create some doubt. or even a bit of hesitation. because right now the Avs believe they own us, because they have. they have to win this game. no question.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #267
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau has to outplay Mackinnon tonight.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #268
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't watch. Too scared.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #269
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #270
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Tonight we have a chance to say, yeah you’re right. We’re too extreme, we’re too wild, we’re too out of control, we’re too full of our own ####.

Or we have a chance to say, Hey, #### you you’re wrong! #### you we’re right! Because we have all made it to the dance, ‘cause believe me, this is the dance!

(Only captain crunch may get this reference but that’s ok. Gets me jacked every time)
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #271
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have seen this series so far as a story of responses...

· After fighting through some penalty trouble in Game #1 the Flames essentially took over and won the game convincingly.
· Colorado responded; they pushed back in Game #2, but nearly lost thanks to some excellent goaltending by Mike Smith.
· In Game #3 the Flames were surprised by Colorado's speed and forecheck with last change on home ice, and did not quickly enough match their energy. I think the Avalanche essentially maintained the same mindset from the previous game, but the Flames after a close loss and with a change of venue did not respond.

* I would be surprised to see the Flames once again not respond tonight. They now know what to anticipate from the Avalanche in their own building, and I think this bodes well in their favour. If they win tonight, I do not anticipate that Colorado will have as easy a time mounting a new response once they get back to the Saddledome on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #272
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Tonight we have a chance to say, yeah you’re right. We’re too extreme, we’re too wild, we’re too out of control, we’re too full of our own ####.

Or we have a chance to say, Hey, #### you you’re wrong! #### you we’re right! Because we have all made it to the dance, ‘cause believe me, this is the dance!

(Only captain crunch may get this reference but that’s ok. Gets me jacked every time)

Has to be seen to be pumped

NSFW!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #273
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Frankly, purple gatorade is terrible but I'm willing to take one for the team.

Hoping the flames show that same commitment to winning tonight.
Indeed it is, and I bought both Grape and Summit Storm (wtf?) since I didn't know which was "more purple".

Also, I'm at work tonight, which is where I was for game 1 and not games 2 or 3, so hopefully that will bring some luck and I will be able to scare my colleagues multiple times tonight.

GFG!!!!!

ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #274
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
Gaudreau has to outplay Mackinnon tonight.
IMO Mackinnon can still be the best player on the ice and Flames can still win. But Gaudreau's line and PP1 has to produce and be better than they have been.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #275
calbow
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Go Flames Go!!
calbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #276
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd really like to see the 1st line score at 5 on 5 tonight
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #277
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I'd really like to see the 1st line score at 5 on 5 tonight
Preferably while up against MacKinnon's line.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #278
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have seen this series so far as a story of responses...

· After fighting through some penalty trouble in Game #1 the Flames essentially took over and won the game convincingly.
· Colorado responded; they pushed back in Game #2, but nearly lost thanks to some excellent goaltending by Mike Smith.
· In Game #3 the Flames were surprised by Colorado's speed and forecheck with last change on home ice, and did not quickly enough match their energy. I think the Avalanche essentially maintained the same mindset from the previous game, but the Flames after a close loss and with a change of venue did not respond.

* I would be surprised to see the Flames once again not respond tonight. They now know what to anticipate from the Avalanche in their own building, and I think this bodes well in their favour. If they win tonight, I do not anticipate that Colorado will have as easy a time mounting a new response once they get back to the Saddledome on Friday.
Absolutely agree with the bolded. But I was shocked by their effort in game 3 and how they folded the tents after some initial adversity. Other than the OT in game 2, this team was been skated out of the rink for 6 straight periods. That's a little scary.

So yeah I'm expecting them to respond but worried about what happens if things go bad. And the margin for error is small unless the Avs take their foot off the gas.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #279
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want a Flames goal in the first period, preferably in the first 5 minutes!
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #280
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Absolutely agree with the bolded. But I was shocked by their effort in game 3 and how they folded the tents after some initial adversity. Other than the OT in game 2, this team was been skated out of the rink for 6 straight periods. That's a little scary...
It is, but I think it is also understandable. Like I said, the shift in this series from Calgary to Colorado put the Flames players on their heels, and it resulted in three bad penalties and three quick goals in the first period. Game #3 was the one game that I expected Colorado to win in large part because I thought the Flames would also require a bit of an adjustment period their first playoff appearance in Denver. It's a lot less scary knowing how much better the Flames can be. The hope is that they live up to their billing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote