Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #541
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
But look at the amount of back pressure from the Flames forwards. It's virtually non-existant. Without that back pressure, the defense can't stand up.
100% This, all we need is for Regher to call out the forwards and we are officially back to 7-8 years ago.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #542
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

After reading everyone's comments regarding neutral zone checking...

1-3-1 all day, baby. 1-3-1 til the sun goes down and the cows go home.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #543
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Except game 2 was a coin flip.
They were 2 minutes from winning in regulation.
Frolik could have scored 10 seconds earlier if that puck was 4 inches higher, Grubs was lucky to be in the right place.
MacKinnon on a semi break is death.

So the Flames legitimately lost game 3. If they rebound and Smith plays exactly the same as games 1-3, they win.

It's not worth the panic, at least not yet.
I think the panic on here is ridiculous too. To often flames fans think their team is the only team that has a bad night.

Caps lots to Carolina 5 to 0 and shots at 1 point were 44 to 11. I think the 2nd and start of 3rd were like a 29 to 2 stretch. Caps are up 2 to 1 in series so maybe their fans aren't in panic mode but to think only the flames get steam rolled in the playoffs is ridiculous. It happens often to teams that win series or cups to have terrible nights
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #544
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comments from Derek Ryan:

Quote:
Ryan, though, says the Flames have a plan to counteract that in Game 4.

"We can be aggressive, but patient at the same time," he said. "To this point, all the rush chances they're getting, it's because we're giving it to them. Simple.

"Turnovers at the blueline, losing our guy in the neutral zone - it's all proven costly.

"But we know how to defend these guys. We want to have our third forward staying a bit higher, above them to not allow them any free ice, and also have the rest of us re-loading faster on the back-check.

"Just wait for the game to come to us. Their top guys are playing a lot and we can frustrate them by sitting back a little bit.

"They had too much fun last night. That's easy hockey for them.

"We need to get back to making it hard."
Easier said than done, but I like the quiet confidence as panicking is not going to help anyone play better.

Full article, including some quotes from Gio: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/ther...ic/c-306818280
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #545
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If 2004 or 2015 were reffed with this standard the Flames would have lost in the first round. That being said they have to get back to playing the game that made them successful all season.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #546
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Easier said than done, but I like the quiet confidence as panicking is not going to help anyone play better.

Full article, including some quotes from Gio: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/ther...ic/c-306818280
What's the point of even making these comments in public? Gives the opposition too much insight into what the coaches are saying. Better to just pretend like you don't know what's going on and throw out some lame cliches like "we have to give 110%" and "keep working harder".

I feel like the comments from Flames players, like "we have to take it to them" or "we are too soft", after Game 2 back fired and the refs used it to call everything against the Flames. The Flames really screwed themselves with those comments as the refs were just waiting for any excuse to call a penalty on them.

At the end of day, talk is cheap. Just do it.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #547
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
If 2004 or 2015 were reffed with this standard the Flames would have lost in the first round. That being said they have to get back to playing the game that made them successful all season.
Infuriating.

One handed and stick on stick.

Just a soft as baby #### call to put them down 5 on 3 early. Really embarrassing officiating.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #548
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Infuriating.

Just a soft as baby #### call to put them down 5 on 3 early. Really embarrassing officiating.
It is a crap call no doubt about it, but it probably wasn't necessary to put the stick in there. If i'm Fantenberg in that situation, i'm looking more at driving Mackinnion hard into the crossbar after he cuts to the net. Smith is playing well and he's got the angle, i'd take my chances with the goalie in that situation. Of course, it's easy to say in slow motion.

The more infuriating thing is that Gaudreau won't get that same call. He basically has to have his hands broken before they call in his favour.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #549
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It is a crap call no doubt about it, but it probably wasn't necessary to put the stick in there. If i'm Fantenberg in that situation, i'm looking more at driving Mackinnion hard into the crossbar after he cuts to the net. Smith is playing well and he's got the angle, i'd take my chances with the goalie in that situation. Of course, it's easy to say in slow motion.

The more infuriating thing is that Gaudreau won't get that same call. He basically has to have his hands broken before they call in his favour.
I think it was actually a great defensive play.

Fantenberg wasn't going to win that race and MacKinnon was about to speed around and to the net. Fantenberg lifts the stick just enough for MacKinnon to lose the puck, but he whines about it and draws a phantom call.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #550
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great clip. That makes it so clear that it was not a penalty.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #551
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Certainly some theatrics from Mackinnon there too. Embellishment.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #552
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It may have been a touch weak, but MacKinnon was blowing past Fantanberg with a great scoring chance and he hooked his hands causing him to lose the puck. If it wasn't essentially taking away a break away chance it might not get called. The too many men was just an unlucky sequence. Hard to complain about that.
Quote:
Infuriating.

What do you have to say to that, Weitz?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #553
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

#####ing terrible call.

They need to put the whistles the #### away and let the game find a rhythm organically, not by tilting it with freebie two minute two man advantages. Was so pissed at that. MacKinnon getting mcdavid treatment with being untouchable. We should be allowed to defend the guy with contact.

They're giving the avs the benefit of the doubt on all these dumb soccer level theatrics.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #554
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Infuriating.

Flames played horribly last night but my god what an awful call. Stick underneath Mack’s and only one hand, how the #### is that a hook. Also for all the criticism gaudreau takes for embellishing, Mackinnon did a terrific job there raising a hand lmao.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #555
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Thank You Derek Ryan!

This quote gives me more hope than anything that’s happened in this series to date. I didn’t like the way the team was playing from the 1st period of game 1 and out. I didn’t think there was anything sustainable about the style. The Avs got better and became more confident with every passing game.

Now that they have identified the problem, I hope the Avs start to lull themselves into a false sense of security and the Flames can start to dictate the series. Without speed on their side, the Flames can start to win the half court battle to steal a basketball term. I’m feeling a lot more confident in this team now then I did this morning that’s for darn sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #556
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s a weak call and MacKinnon sold it but generally speaking a horizontal stick in the opposing player’s hands is a penalty. Whether Fanta had 1 or 2 hands on his stick is irrelevant.

This one stung because of the other call, Mackinnon’s clear attempt to sell it and how brief/weak the hook was, especially considering its playoff hockey.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #557
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s a weak call and MacKinnon sold it but generally speaking a horizontal stick in the opposing player’s hands is a penalty. Whether Fanta had 1 or 2 hands on his stick is irrelevant.

This one stung because of the other call, Mackinnon’s clear attempt to sell it and how brief/weak the hook was, especially considering its playoff hockey.
Yeah I have to admit that I thought it was a clear penalty in real time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #558
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
Flames played horribly last night but my god what an awful call. Stick underneath Mack’s and only one hand, how the #### is that a hook. Also for all the criticism gaudreau takes for embellishing, Mackinnon did a terrific job there raising a hand lmao.
Yet they called this embellishment:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #559
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Yet they called this embellishment:
Now THIS on the other hand is complete and utter bull####.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #560
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

That's the confusing part for me. I've watch tons of horizontal stick infractions, and they don't seem to be called very often in other series, but they seem to be very standard in this one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote